Jenius Air

kalvasflam

So, the one redeeming thing I found about the last episode was Jenius Air... in that Mirage flashback, that was evidently a thing.

I personally would not mind seeing an OVA about Jenius Air. May be it's a flight school, may be it's a test center for Valks, or a private company started by the Jeniuses. So much was made about Max and Milia's test flight days (not sure how canon those sources are), but a good story line around that might be very worth while. After all, there are let's see, six other sisters that needed more exposure anyway. I don't think this has to be a love triangle story, just like Gundam shouldn't always be about antsy childhoods.

There should probably be singing, but it could be on background... they could do quite a few things with different Valks. Hell, you could do a set of narratives with members of the family each talking about past experiences at Jenius Air with Valks and that could be interesting.

Just a random thought

Considering Mirage's age, the flashback of her playing in Millia's VF-9 likely takes place around or slightly before the time frame of Macross Frontier. Since that bird was last used in the 2020s or so (whenever Macross M3 takes place), Jenius Air could be a museum or refurbishment business for aircraft. I suspect that Mirage being there could imply that it is owned and operated by Miranda Jenius (Mirage's canon mother). Miranda is one of the sisters we know nothing about save the fact that she is Mirage's mother. It is also possible the flashback indicated a family visit too, for all we know Jenius Air could be a location on Macross 7, but I got the feeling it was on a planet (though who knows if 7 finally settled somewhere or not).

I'd love to see an OVA dedicated to the greater Jenius family. There is so much potential for all those characters. Even Komillia is underdeveloped, we last saw her on screen as a baby after all! (I know she has some stories in the alternate MacII universe, but I am speaking from a Kawamori-verse angle). Just imagine what story content we could get from her, Theresa, Miracle, more info on Miranda, even more detail on Emilia (how is her singing career going anyway?). Pretty much the only one we don't need more info on is Mylene but even after almost 30 years there could be some interesting details there (finally married Gamlin or not?). I didn't even mention all of them there even!

Plus... all the VFs and all the flying you could do with a Jenius-centric story line.. such VF-bait.

Edited by Master Dex

I like that they get name dropped and flashbacked but we already had Macross7 and now Delta. Doing another one would make the Jenius clan too important in the universe. I like cameos, would love to see more, and would certainly love to see the old mechs more, but I'm Jenius'ed out as far as leads go.

I like that they get name dropped and flashbacked but we already had Macross7 and now Delta. Doing another one would make the Jenius clan too important in the universe. I like cameos, would love to see more, and would certainly love to see the old mechs more, but I'm Jenius'ed out as far as leads go.

I think in terms of the Macross universe, the Jenius has had a pretty outsized impact. They probably tarnished the name with Delta. But that level of familiarity certainly can't hurt. There is also no need at all to make an actual Jenius the central character. You could think of it as a story revolving around Jenius Air, with one of the Jenius family acting as an important side character. Think Armuro in Zeta Gundam, or even Max/Milia in Mac7.

I think it would be a cool concept, and I'd argue that in Macross lore, the Jeniuses have started to become the first family of the story. It would be natural to have a focus more on aircraft than singing. Macross has always included singing, but in shows like Zero, and I would argue even Plus, singing was not absolutely central to the theme.

So, the one redeeming thing I found about the last episode was Jenius Air... in that Mirage flashback, that was evidently a thing.

I personally would not mind seeing an OVA about Jenius Air. May be it's a flight school, may be it's a test center for Valks, or a private company started by the Jeniuses. So much was made about Max and Milia's test flight days (not sure how canon those sources are), but a good story line around that might be very worth while. After all, there are let's see, six other sisters that needed more exposure anyway. I don't think this has to be a love triangle story, just like Gundam shouldn't always be about antsy childhoods.

There should probably be singing, but it could be on background... they could do quite a few things with different Valks. Hell, you could do a set of narratives with members of the family each talking about past experiences at Jenius Air with Valks and that could be interesting.

Just a random thought

Give me copious amounts of VF-9 and a Emilia as a recurring character and I'm there!

I would certainly appreciate an OVA series about the Jeniuses. With or without triangles, and with some music but it does not have to be as important. WiRe the music angle, they could play with the established Macross affinity for inworld covers by having some sisters cover Mylene's work for fun!

Considering Mirage's age, the flashback of her playing in Millia's VF-9 likely takes place around or slightly before the time frame of Macross Frontier. Since that bird was last used in the 2020s or so (whenever Macross M3 takes place), [...]

Just a note, but in the novelization of Macross Frontier the VF-9 was still being used by Macross Galaxy in 2059. As the VF-9 isn't that much older than the VF-11, and the VF-11 was finally being retired from service in 2058 via disposal sales (noted in Macross R), it's possible those VF-9s are relatively recent acquistions sold off by the Spacy when the fighter finally was withdrawn from service.

I think in terms of the Macross universe, the Jenius has had a pretty outsized impact. They probably tarnished the name with Delta. But that level of familiarity certainly can't hurt.

That, my friend, is putting it MILDLY.

Max and Milia were the top aces of the First Space War, founded the UN Spacy's equivalent of TOPGUN, trained innumerable pilots, saved the galaxy a couple of times, helped General Galaxy make a name for itself in VF design and decided the final form of Shinsei's first few big sellers, and their romance is quite literally the stuff of history. The mark they made is arguably second only to that of Minmay herself.

I wonder what a good story for such a show would be though. I somehow doubt kawamori should go back to that well, since he might screw up essentially the first family of the Macrossverse.

A reasonable format could be an OVA like the Char origin story. First, focus on Max and Milia post Megaroad departure; may be have a final farewell with Hikaru. Second, a transition story, Max and Milia leaving Earth with Mylene, and where some of their children goes. The eldest would certainly be a good pilot. Third, a focus on the story of the oldest and may be interaction with a couple of sisters. Fourth, may be something to do with Mylene crossing over with her sister Emilia? Fifth, focus on Miranda, Jenius air (hopefully with the twins) and the birth of the disappointment; yes, Mirage. Then something else.

Each of these stand alones could have some common thread of evil UN and then NUNS conspirator; spanning through the series. Finally ending with a reunion of the Jenius family and finishing the threat, old school style, no singing, except may be Mylene and Emilia.

Just a random thought

Is there a legal/copyright issue that caused UN Spacy to become NUNS? Otherwise, I think they should farm stone of that material for animation.

Pretty sure there isn't... since Big West/Studio Nue own the Macross IP hands down, and plenty of material has continued to use the original UN Spacy roundel and "UN Spacy" markings.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a legal/copyright issue that caused UN Spacy to become NUNS? Otherwise, I think they should farm some of that material for animation.

Well there are two prominent theories.

One is that UN Spacy re-branded itself after that Lactence attempted coup of Earth and attacks on fellow UN Spacy forces on other planets. Fasces the Zentradi Lactence branch still uses the old UN Spacy kite.

The other is that after Space War 1 they are formally known as New UN Forces (New UN Spacy). Fleets outside of Earth's immediate region are more likely to use it as a full name and changed the logo when decentralization went into full swing into the NUN Government.

I think that's the story of VFX-2 (an old PS2 game)

Older than that. The VFX games were PS1.

PS2 Macross game was an adaptation of Space War 1.

Hyped as the "definitive version" of that war, and then it turned out that meant they had both a TV path and a DYRL path through the game. A trolling masterpiece.

Well there are two prominent theories.One is that UN Spacy re-branded itself after that Lactence attempted coup of Earth and attacks on fellow UN Spacy forces on other planets. Fasces the Zentradi Lactence branch still uses the old UN Spacy kite.The other is that after Space War 1 they are formally known as New UN Forces (New UN Spacy). Fleets outside of Earth's immediate region are more likely to use it as a full name and changed the logo when decentralization went into full swing into the NUN Government.

Nope, you're thinking of the New UN Government theories... which we pretty much settled not too long ago with the conclusion that the New UN Government had been a thing since shortly after the war.

The New UN Forces became a thing after the Latence mess, which in the novelizations even prompted the formation of an independent watchdog organization to ensure the military didn't get any more unseemly ideas above its station.