Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 26 -Finale - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 26: Eternal Walküre  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive ( WALKURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (ツ)_VV )
    • Neutral
    • Negative ("Eternal blunder" is more like it...)

Well... at least this is over I guess. I just feel so.... uninterested in it all. Nothing really made me feel invested in any of it and the finale didn't do anything to remedy it. Like... nothing made me happier then watching the Frontier punch the Galaxy, but the similar scene in this didn't do a thing for me. It fell flat.

Let's get this over with...

Negative.

-It ended but I don't feel like it resolved anything. They only closed up the story but Windermere is still kicking. NUNS and everyone in the 'Cluster should just nuke them from orbit. Only way to be sure. They have been shown to be an intolerable threat, so they should remove that threat. But they let them go... Heinz is still alive. the Knights are mostly still alive. SV is still flying. I have no idea why they brought up Lady M last week if she has no bearing on the story. Yeah, sure they'll flake away but they're still alive.

-While the mecha scenes were nice, it was mostly talking heads again with load of celestial spider-web bondage. It looks like a bunch of cobb webs.

-No final battle between the Aerial Knights and Delta. It was pretty light on dogfighting altogether.

-I'm not impressed by Elysion. It would have been nice to see a Hemura/Aether combined blast.

-Swap Kumo-Kumo with Ranka, take away Hayate, and you have part of Frontier's last episode all over again. A Macross cuts a hole in the ship. A VF goes to save the singer.

-So they resolved the triangle. Guess that's a plus. But I lost interest during the birthday episode as it seemed like a sure thing by that point. Didn't really do much for me. And Freyja will be dead in about 15 years. Haya-Haya is free to date afterwards, Mirage.

-Color changing Drakens. And they happen to be white. Last episode of Frontier. Again.

-Roid making a fold-network. That's Grace's plan. That's the last episode of Frontier. All. Over. Again.

-The Keith/Roid bromance is over. Guess that's good?

-Drakens have swords. They bring that up...now. :rolleyes:

-Music montage in this episode was a thumbs down.

Just overall wasted potential.

7/10

I liked it, it wasn't the epic history everyone wanted but... it was ok.

The ONLY thing more frustrating that Lady M / berger and The War of Windermere left inconclusive was... the Kiss.

Just... one Kiss.... in the cockpit, just after the "You better be ready" but noooo, they just... fly...

Yeah I'm mad

As a single chapter is not that bad, well if you compare it with the rest of the second cour that is. But as a final chapter is really, really awful it feels too rushed, there is no real conclusion. Probably the only positive thing is the "resolution of the triangle" and still Freyja is going to die in less than 15 years as she is already having signs of Windermerean premature death.

There is no conclusion of Epsilon and what they surely stole of technology from the Sigur Valens, and Windermere is still in war with NUNS.

Also there is some words about this having a movie to wrap up things? or is going to leave those loose ends?

Still haven't watch it but since I'm here and waiting for something I think I'll share a theory.

There was never a love triangle. It was always Freyja and Hayate. It just took Hayate a bit longer to realize it. Mirage's interest in him has more to do with over coming her own fears and insecurities. She has legacy to uphold but knows she isn't that good and has to work hard at it. Hayate represents a carefree happiness that she wished could have. That's why she's drawn to him. Being around Hayate made Mirage a better person. She doesn't need to be with him. At least my theory. I might change my mind after watching the episode.

Let's get this over with...

Negative.

-It ended but I don't feel like it resolved anything. They only closed up the story but Windermere is still kicking. NUNS and everyone in the 'Cluster should just nuke them from orbit. Only way to be sure. They have been shown to be an intolerable threat, so they should remove that threat. But they let them go... Heinz is still alive. the Knights are mostly still alive. SV is still flying. I have no idea why they brought up Lady M last week if she has no bearing on the story. Yeah, sure they'll flake away but they're still alive.

-While the mecha scenes were nice, it was mostly talking heads again with load of celestial spider-web bondage. It looks like a bunch of cobb webs.

-No final battle between the Aerial Knights and Delta. It was pretty light on dogfighting altogether.

-I'm not impressed by Elysion. It would have been nice to see a Hemura/Aether combined blast.

-Swap Kumo-Kumo with Ranka, take away Hayate, and you have part of Frontier's last episode all over again. A Macross cuts a hole in the ship. A VF goes to save the singer.

-So they resolved the triangle. Guess that's a plus. But I lost interest during the birthday episode as it seemed like a sure thing by that point. Didn't really do much for me. And Freyja will be dead in about 15 years. Haya-Haya is free to date afterwards, Mirage.

-Color changing Drakens. And they happen to be white. Last episode of Frontier. Again.

-Roid making a fold-network. That's Grace's plan. That's the last episode of Frontier. All. Over. Again.

-The Keith/Roid bromance is over. Guess that's good?

-Drakens have swords. They bring that up...now. :rolleyes:

-Music montage in this episode was a thumbs down.

Yeah, no disagreement on the most part, but let's face it, no one episode could fix this trainwreck of a show. But this episode was probably better than most of the rest of the second half.

In terms of music, like I said, not Ikenai Borderline just killed it for me. The last time they did that song was ep 13. It was probably the best song out of the series. No music montage is a little disappointing.

The ONLY thing more frustrating that Lady M / berger and The War of Windermere left inconclusive was... the Kiss.

Just... one Kiss.... in the cockpit, just after the "You better be ready" but noooo, they just... fly...

Yeah that was pretty lame

Still haven't watch it but since I'm here and waiting for something I think I'll share a theory.

There was never a love triangle. It was always Freyja and Hayate.

Theory? That's canon.

Also there is some words about this having a movie to wrap up things? or is going to leave those loose ends?

No announcement of a movie was made during this episode. Not saying there will or won't be an announcement at some point, only no announcement was made during this episode.

No announcement of a movie was made during this episode. Not saying there will or won't be an announcement at some point, only no announcement was made during this episode.

It was mentioned in one of the recent SpeakerPODcasts that the first Frontier movie announcement was actually an accident during a post-series concert, a significant interval after the series run. So... wait and see; just because it wasn't immediately announced doesn't mean that it won't ever be.

Edited by This Confuses Gamlin

Satelight shovelware series that unfortunately happened to have the 'Macross' name pasted onto it. Be interesting to see where the series can go from here. This was pretty much a total flop on whatever front you wish to consider - character development, storytelling, animation, music, action....Junna probably has a singing career ahead of her, but I am not sure being Mikumo's singing voice is going to be much of a selling point to me, anyway.

Such a change from the Frontier experience.

I'm glad those who actually enjoyed Delta but from my own experience and opinion, well, I could remember being anxious and really excited waiting for the last episode of Frontier back when it was finishing airing. With Delta I was just glad and wishing that it finished already so that I can stop being disappointed anymore.

They had a chance to bring me back with the last episode, but, well......

I wonder if SATELIGHT and Kawamori are like "YEP. Nailed it!" .... I really hope thats not the case and the glaring shortcomings of the series are painfully obvious to them, only then can we hope to expect something better in the future out of the franchise whether it be movies/ova and/or any newer series altogether in the coming decade.

Saw the RAW, but waiting on SUBs to understand some of the dialogue a bit better. (omg talking heads on EP 26?? really)

I guess as a money making machine in the end it is extremely successful. Look at how many copies Walkure discs are selling, so this in the end turns out to be just a 26 episode commercial for Walkure Idol group merchandise (no pun to the ones who consume it , I myself will likely get a figure or two in the future because I like the character design though not really the characters themselves) and to a lesser extent mecha toys/model kits.

Edited by ayaxr

I mostly answered my own question by watching in slow motion, but it did seem for a moment that the Drakens' swords were just strong metal and not metal reinforced by a barrier system. On watching frame-by-frame there is a green glow along the blade edge, but it didn't appear as pronounced as that which we've seen on the barrier knives, where the entire blade would be glowing brightly.

Negative.

As an episode, it was maybe just OK. However, it wasn't any episode.

It was a series finale and as a series finale, it was very disappointing.

Bottomline: it ended the series, but other than the (somewhat forced) love triangle and that Chuck's sister was alive, pretty much everything else was left hanging.

Eg. Regarding the protoculture. Other than than the questionable claim that songs was always meant to be a weapon by Berger, what else did we learn about the protoculture that was new?

Neutral Vote, for the finale as well as the series as a whole. Yes, it was rushed after Episode 13. Yes, it seemed more aimed at teenaged girls then the typical Macross fan. AND oh yes, so many unanswered questions...

So here's a few more (or at least one): Now that the good guys seem to have possession or control of the Planetary Fold Gates, does that mean travel just got faster via the Table Top thingies that are seemingly strung across that sector of space? It certainly is implied to me at the end credits when the red portal opens up...

Are we certain Windermere is still at war with the NUNS? Ketchup could claim that 'Roid did it! he did it all! I just had Stockholm Syndrome!!!'?

Edited by TehPW

LOL!

The ole bait and switch. Get eyes on the TV by implying they'll see a SDFM hero from the Megaroad and not deliver...

Well we've learned in this series that the Megaroad 01 is no longer lost and one of its former occupants runs the Xaos Group. I'm somewhat satisfied with that. Keep the mystery alive as long as possible, however I have a terrible feeling THAT will all be explained in the manga series'.

So many dangling story threads you could have a tassel. The Windy's owned Xaos for 25 episodes and NOW they cave, with an Uber PC ship in their yard?? Xaos didn't even have the benefit of the NUNS fleet as back up even, So where the hell was Johnson's tactical expertise hiding all this time? How were they able to land any forces on Ragna without a general scramble alert being sounded? Wasn't Ragna still under Windy control?

The Elysion riding the water like a GERWALK valk was new, but all the rest of it's moves were recycled from previous shows. Though for a ship that is well over a km high, it is pretty damn agile.... Still like the ship though. It's a fitting update to the Macross warship design. The battle damage was very SDFM in appearance. Why? I dunno.

Did the SV get destroyed at all? We saw the projector destroyed, but IIRC it was positioned above an antenna on Ragna, was it not?

So where did Mirage suddenly pull this flying confidence out from?

When I saw inside the PC projector, I thought "Is that chair for Mikumo?" A flashback to M2 came to me, then hem-Roid sat in it. I cannot be the only one seeing the "borrowing" from Mac 2 in this series. From the projection chamber to the striping on Mikumo, to the use of song to enslave sentient beings, very curious.

So were the Windy's always meant to control this projector? Hem-Roid stuck his runes into the sockets like they were designed for them... If some sort of probes came out of those sockets, then you could consider otherwise.

BTW, I wonder how many pilots crashed when they were in this music induced ether Roid got them stuck in?

They spent 4 episodes filled with talking heads and I still don't care about these characters. We got some cool universe building, but not a lot of character development. Unfortunate.

In response to why wasn't Windermere destroyed? Well if they were a metaphor for Nazi Germany (or Imperial Japan), then all they needed to be was soundly defeated. With their economy in jeapardy due to their independence (still never fully explained) and their only ally Epsilon abandoning them, they are in for some hard times ahead. Of course there are also all the worlds in the region really pissed off at them right now too.

Epsilon Corporation and Galaxy for that matter, may begin to play greater rolls in subsequent productions. Epsilon built the support fleet for the Macross Galaxy and Windermere as well as they build "SV" type variable fighters, which are not officially sanctioned by NUNS. They are filling a niche market of customers who do not want to be beholden to the NUNG in any way (like how rogue states tend to buy Russian armaments instead of NATO ones). Now armed with data collected from the Sigur Valens, they may be able to gain an edge over the NUNS Federal arms programs. Galaxy plays fast and loose with the law so anything is possible with them.

Gave this one a negative vote after a series of neutrals (I am hoping the subs will improve my opinion). The mecha action was overdue and it was too easy for Xaos to succeed in this grand battle. I knew this would be an idol sing off, but they didn't even try to tie up all the loose ends. The bait and switch was insulting to all the fans of any age. Kawamori should have stuck to his guns on the 1 cour and a movie plan and promised a second movie instead. Perhaps then the story of Delta would have been tighter and more precise. It would have given him some time to devise a new story for the second movie in the meantime. However, if he was already in talks with the Chinese for his new series, he may not have wanted to commit any more time to this show than he already had.

The irritating thing is that with the subs on the BD releases, I have to buy them all :angry: I can't let a good thing (English subs) go unrewarded...

Edited by Zinjo

The finale was fun to watch and entertaining at least, since I went into it with low expectations. However, I can't overlook how many loose ends are still left, when there's no more time to cover any of it. I honestly thought Freyja was going to die in Hayate's arms (and it seemed like it for a moment at the end lol) after the icy crusties on her hand grew larger. I do like how gracefully Mirage lost the triangle, and at the very least THAT was resolved. Kinda glad Lady M wasn't revealed in this episode, too. This late in the series, her reveal would probably have been underwhelming, and the mystery has been stretched so long that I don't really care anymore who Lady M could be.

I can say at the very least that I'm kind of glad it's over, and I'm not really sure I want more Macross Delta. I know people so far have been anticipating a movie announcement, but I think I'm ready to give this story a break for a while ^^;

Off-topic, but can't pass this one.

(like how rogue states tend to buy Russian armaments instead of NATO ones)

Finland is not a rogue state. India is not a rogue state. Most of south-America aren't rogue states. There are even countries that have bought Russian made armament not because it was vetoed American or European armament, but because Russian equipment meet their selection criteria, whatever it was. Also, being vetoed armament by one country doesn't make any state a rogue one. Yeah, I know of some countries that match your description, but it is the ton of countries which don't what matter. Spain was once a 'rogue state' and was vetoed any armament but the American made. Edited by Aries Turner

Hmm, Does this mean we will have 4 Chogokin Draken molds? If included those two new white and gold Draken variants in the last episode. I smell a possible web exclusive Draken in the future comes along with a separate weapon pack which include mini drakens and missile pack as well as those swords they used to duel.

Edited by thetrollphysicist

hi every one !i am french member of a macross forum and i am registred for long time ago in this chat but never posted, great chat !

At the end of the episode during the walkure s concert a portal is summoned on Ragna and the delta s squadron flyi nside the portal ! it s sure a movie or season 2 will began soon ! Maybe the mystery around Lady M ans Megaroad 01 will be explained ?

what do you think about or ?

Edited by miyamotoo

My thought on this series overall:

-so much wasted potential in term of character development esp Arad and Kaname

-I felt cheated! I was anticipating how Hayate would trash the AKs with his fancy footwork!

-at least there is resolution of the triangle...a very lopsided triangle, unlike Frontier. Can someone post the fanpic of Mummy Freya again please? :wub:

My fav episode- 11th: Jellyfish Reminiscence.

So many great characters that never amounted to anything. So sad. :( They better show up in something else, preferably a movie.

So can we all the agreed that D in Delta actually stand for Disappointment?

I know some of GFX gurus on here can photoshop that for me :D

Kanji: 失望 :D Now get those photoshop skills working!!

Off-topic, but can't pass this one.

Finland is not a rogue state. India is not a rogue state. Most of south-America aren't rogue states. There are even countries that have bought Russian made armament not because it was vetoed American or European armament, but because Russian equipment meet their selection criteria, whatever it was. Also, being vetoed armament by one country doesn't make any state a rogue one. Yeah, I know of some countries that match your description, but it is the ton of countries which don't what matter. Spain was once a 'rogue state' and was vetoed any armament but the American made.

Firstly, the comment was not personal so relax. Secondly. I don't make "blanket" statements. So far, all rogue states who purchase arms, tend to purchase Russian designed equipment as there are fewer export restrictions on these compared to NATO equipment. There are plenty of legitimate countries who also use Russian designed equipment, often because it is more cost effective for their economies compared to NATO equipment, a "more bang for your buck" approach.

hi every one !i am french member of a macross forum and i am registred for long time ago in this chat but never posted, great chat !

At the end of the episode during the walkure s concert a portal is summoned on Ragna and the delta s squadron flyi nside the portal ! it s sure a movie or season 2 will began soon ! Maybe the mystery around Lady M ans Megaroad 01 will be explained ?

what do you think about or ?

Welcome to posting!

Translating your thoughts from French to English can be challenging. We are glad you decided to try.

I would rather the Lady M and Megaroad question remain a mystery, but I have a feeling it will be answered in the Manga series. Right now it is hard to say if a movie or another season will be made.

Edited by Zinjo

Oh. That's it? That's my reaction after watching the last episode.

There are lots of plot lines not wrapped up, maybe a movie or a OVA?

Here is my suggest for the movie: Macross Civil Wars.

NUNS lost probably 1/3 to half of its fleet. In history, if a central military force suddenly lost its grip of power, it would lead to rebellion all over the country. Everyone is fighting for dominance. The colonies or the Macross fleets can be just the front of the power struggle between Burger and Lady-M underneath, like in real world, governments are proxy fighting wars for the big corporates. Mirage and Miku could be the protagonist of the new movie, give them the development they deserved in the TV series. Hiyata and Freya are retired, only show up at the very end to save the day.

Edited by hevangel2