Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

1/72 Veritech Fighter VF-1S Roy Fokker

April 2018 release. HK$699 (US$89.50)

– full transformation into Fighter, Guardian and Battloid modes

– stands 19cm high

– fully articulated for maximum poseability

– metal content

– interchangeable hands in different poses

– light up LED effects

– gunpod and missile attachments

– display standard

IMG_5544.JPG.f32b5b50980d6bb388706120420ebc30.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG.7465e8c3d36d5e8525b1c76e37ea47e4.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG.16bc5890d3ec57e836c8458d4312c6cb.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG.5b4c01cc635d88e40cdda1b7302b5538.JPG

 

Edited by no3Ljm
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

1/72 Veritech Fighter VF-1S Roy Fokker

April 2018 release. HK$699 (US$89.50)

– full transformation into Fighter, Guardian and Battloid modes

– stands 19cm high

– fully articulated for maximum poseability

– metal content

– interchangeable hands in different poses

– light up LED effects

– gunpod and missile attachments

– display standard

IMG_5544.JPG.f32b5b50980d6bb388706120420ebc30.JPG

IMG_5545.JPG.7465e8c3d36d5e8525b1c76e37ea47e4.JPG

IMG_5546.JPG.16bc5890d3ec57e836c8458d4312c6cb.JPG

IMG_5547.JPG.5b4c01cc635d88e40cdda1b7302b5538.JPG

 

I don't mind adding at least one of these oddball scaled 1/72 PT VF-1's to my collection....would be good to see the improvements over the last 1/72.....so I may bite.....PO anywhere?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I don't mind adding at least one of these oddball scaled 1/72 PT VF-1's to my collection....would be good to see the improvements over the last 1/72.....so I may bite.....PO anywhere?

KitzConceptz is taking direct PO's. I might bight as well... I've already caved in and got one of their SD VF-1S Roy's. As long as it's not the Toynami crap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's looks good and I like lights but it really does look like they ripped off the yamarcadia, added more label lines, a wash , and removed an ankle extension/joint.  Okie it's really 95 percent an Arcadia copy in my estimation....hopefully they will prove me wrong... And  It's a little small for my liking but I may bite if it's decent 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks decent enough and priced at a reasonable amount, and at 1/72 it will fit right in with a plethora of preexisting real-world aircraft die cast models of the same scale.  As much as I adore the 1/60 and DX fare, they are oddballs that only "play" nice among each other... too big for 1/72, too small for 1/48.  I just might get one to see if Kitz Concept manages to do better than Toynami -- admittedly a fairly low bar to overcome -- and Evolution Toys.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm...  It appears to have side covers for Battloid* mode; however, if it indeed does, I highly doubt it's integral.

* Yes, I am using the ROBOTECH designation here as it is entirely appropriate given this particular product's source.:p

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was interested in 1/72 scale a long time ago but not anymore.  I’ll stick to HMR.

If the 6” Rick Hunter and Minmay turn out decent after the prototypes and no other company has still released 6” figures then I might look into those two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mechaninac said:

I am using the ROBOTECH designation here as it is entirely appropriate given this particular product's source.:p

"Battloid" isn't a ROBOTECH-specific designation... it's the proper romanization of バトロイド, which comes directly from Macross.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tekering said:

"Battloid" isn't a ROBOTECH-specific designation... it's the proper romanization of バトロイド, which comes directly from Macross.

*A* proper romanization, not *the* proper romanization. Ls and Rs, and all that. For my part, I've only ever seen it written as "battloid" in reference to Robotech. Macross has consistently stuck with battroid.

I thought HG were unable to use original SDFM designs anymore as per their Tatsunoko arbitration? Or was it that their rights to those designs will expire when their contract does?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

*A* proper romanization, not *the* proper romanization. Ls and Rs, and all that.

It's a portmanteau of "battle" and "humanoid."  Just because Japanese can't be bothered to look up (let alone remember) how to spell "battle" doesn't mean we have to legitimize their lazy ignorance.  "Battroid" is just plain wrong, and always has been.

And yeah, nothing changes with regards to rights until the existing contracts expire.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Inspite of proper romanization or not, the R’s and L’s, ‘Battroid’ sounds better than ‘Battloid’. ^_^

 

Edited by no3Ljm
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, tekering said:

It's a portmanteau of "battle" and "humanoid."  Just because Japanese can't be bothered to look up (let alone remember) how to spell "battle" doesn't mean we have to legitimize their lazy ignorance.  "Battroid" is just plain wrong, and always has been.

And yeah, nothing changes with regards to rights until the existing contracts expire.

Is it actually? As in explicitly stated in the show and/or other supplemental material? It could just as easily be a portmanteau of "battle" and "android" otherwise. Or even just because it sounds cool. Not like Macross hasn't ever done that.

Besides,

40 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Inspite of proper romanization or not, the R’s and L’s, ‘Battroid’ sounds better than ‘Battloid’. ^_^

I mean...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha!  I ended up starting a heated debate just by making an innocent little quip... I love Macross World; if nothing else, it always provides eye watering entertainment with some of the things people decide to get snit-y about.:lol:

Despite all that, and at the risk of personifying my own observation above, I've always associated Battroid with Macross, and Battloid with ROBOTECH... not that either is any more or less right than the other (the whole R vs L thing, and all that), but because just about all, if not all, Macross related works from media to merchandise have used Battroid exclusively in reference to robot mode.  The only places I've ever seen Battloid used has been in the context of ROBOTECH; hence, the distinction without a difference.;)^_^

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tekering said:

"Battloid" isn't a ROBOTECH-specific designation... it's the proper romanization of バトロイド, which comes directly from Macross.

No, it is not.  The proper romanization of バトロイド is "Batoroido" or "Battroid".  

 

2 hours ago, tekering said:

It's a portmanteau of "battle" and "humanoid."  Just because Japanese can't be bothered to look up (let alone remember) how to spell "battle" doesn't mean we have to legitimize their lazy ignorance.  "Battroid" is just plain wrong, and always has been.

No, it's your statement here that's just plain wrong.

Officially, "Battroid" is a portmanteau of Battle and Android.  Just as "Destroid" is a portmanteau of Destroy and Android.  

This isn't exactly a secret, it's even mentioned in the Animeigo DVD liner notes.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to post
Share on other sites

I stand corrected!  Your clarification is much appreciated.  

I do think "android" is entirely inappropriate for a piloted mecha, but that's a different issue entirely...  <_<

 

So how about that Kidz Concept Robotech toy line, eh?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

No, it is not.  The proper romanization of バトロイド is "Batoroido" or "Battroid".  

Considering Japanese doesn't distinguish between L and R, I'd think it's fair for both battroid and battloid to be "proper" romanizations. Even though battroid is specifically and officially a portmanteau of "battle" and "android," the portmanteau can still work out to include both terms (in what must be the damnedest of coincidences).

The fact that Macross only ever uses the R variant, though, is what makes it the de facto "proper" Macross terminology; in the same way, the fact that Robotech consistently (or at least regularly enough; could swear I've seen "battroid" slip into text sometimes) uses the alternate romanization makes that word its de facto proper term.

I mean, really, the argument should be about what the bleep "Guardian" is supposed to be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, tekering said:

I do think "android" is entirely inappropriate for a piloted mecha, but that's a different issue entirely...  <_<

Blame the SF writers, fifty years on and we still don't have an agreed-upon meaning for the damn word.

 

Quote

So how about that Kidz Concept Robotech toy line, eh?

I cringe a little harder every time I see a new prototype post or release.

On the one hand, I wanna say "bless 'em, they're trying", but on the other hand everything that I've seen of theirs looks kind of off somehow... and unmistakably behind the curve by about ten years in the quality department.  The same kinda wrongness I expect when looking at an Evolution Toy production model up close.

Edited by Seto Kaiba
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Considering Japanese doesn't distinguish between L and R, I'd think it's fair for both battroid and battloid to be "proper" romanizations. Even though battroid is specifically and officially a portmanteau of "battle" and "android," the portmanteau can still work out to include both terms (in what must be the damnedest of coincidences).

Yes, and no.  The standard romanizations* all use "r".  :p

* Hepburn, Nihon-shiki, Kunrei-shiki (not that you'd ever, ever, ever want to use anything but Hepburn. ;) ).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sketchley said:

Yes, and no.  The standard romanizations* all use "r".  :p

* Hepburn, Nihon-shiki, Kunrei-shiki (not that you'd ever, ever, ever want to use anything but Hepburn. ;) ).

Touche. Another case of prescriptive versus descriptive linguistics, I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Shawn locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...