Kitz Concept Robotech Toy Line

kajnrig

4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Touche. Another case of prescriptive versus descriptive linguistics, I suppose.

Please don't consider this overkill on my part...

Out of curiosity (due to my work and language studies), I looked up the IPA for the kana in question.  Interestingly, the IPA rendition of the sound is also with /r/.

The Wikipedia article* goes a bit further, and describes it as a "liquid /r/", though the common pronunciation is a /ɾ/.  Which may may explain why that consonant has always mainly sounded like a cross between an /r/ and an /l/ sound to my ears, but still enables some native speakers to pronounce it with something akin to a "rolled r".

So, it's definitely not an /l/ sound, but not quite the hard /r/ sound in English, either.

Learned something today.  Thanks for the debate/discussion!

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_phonology

** https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dental,_alveolar_and_postalveolar_flaps

Edited by sketchley

Rick and Minmay for starters, so it would seem.  Their sculpts look fairly good too, much better than those wide-shouldered monstrosities shown, by Toynami maybe, a year or two back.  I like that it appears they're employing Figma-like joints, specially on the knees (never liked the aesthetics of the SH Figuarts ones), but at lest at this stage it doesn't look like either figure includes waist or torso articulation... cleaner, unbroken, body lines at the expense of a lot of pose-ability.

On 12/16/2017 at 11:18 AM, kajnrig said:

*A* proper romanization, not *the* proper romanization. Ls and Rs, and all that. For my part, I've only ever seen it written as "battloid" in reference to Robotech. Macross has consistently stuck with battroid.

I thought HG were unable to use original SDFM designs anymore as per their Tatsunoko arbitration? Or was it that their rights to those designs will expire when their contract does?

They can't use Macross designs/likeness in future media(movie, cartoons) but are able to produce toys/models based on SDF Macross designs.

It does look like a reverse engineered Yamato with different articulation for the hands and it's hard to tell if the knee/lower leg is able to extend to bend the knee forward more for guardian mode. It isn't clear if the ankle can extend either. Ultimately I'm hoping for something sturdy as I like the size and the guy who designed this used to work for Mattel. However I worry since Yamato's V2 1/60 mold was already tricky to get right by Yamato themselves(anyone remember the cracked shoulder hinges!?), what more for a company reverse engineering it, at a smaller scale too?

As is it looks good. Maybe this will be George Sohn's dream come true; a modernized HCM. For Robotech toys, this is a huge leap from the MPC and 1/100 VF-1. For Macross fans this is the only other 1/72 VF-1 toy aside from the HCM from 30 years ago, but scale aside, Macross fans have had better options prior. I think it won't stand toe to toe with the HI METAL R and Yamato 1/60 - 1/48 VF-1 toys. If the qc is good I think it'll be looked at as an affordable VF-1 option but not the best overall.

I am willing to give Kitzconcept a shot but proceeding with caution. Might wait for reviews from first adopters. I am pleasantly surprised that this comes with a stand. Also surprised at the price. It's been a while since we've seen a perfect transformation VF-1 toy for under $100.

If this had the heat shield transformation, knee/ankle articulation and details of the Yamato VF-1 with the arm/lower body transformation and bigger vertical stabilizers of the HI METAL R VF-1 I would be very pleased. I want to see shots with the gear down and from the underside in Fighter. I wonder if the head will be able to tuck in flush without the visor showing(something I love about the VF HI METAL/HI METAL R VF-1).

I doubt the side covers are integral but would be very surprised if they actually are incorporated into the transformation. I hope the gun can be held tightly(MPC had issues with that). I don't care for the lights. I would be all for it if removing them would slash cost. I'm not sure why Toynami seemingly insists on LED's so much.

Hopefully this toy turns out decently. I bet for Robotech fans that never imported the Japanese Macross toys, this toy must seem like a god send.

If these turn out decent....and they release them as prolifically as they have their goofy SD VF-1s....we can surely expect the fab five and then some....thinking VF-1D and the rest of Vermillion squad...they are already teasing the VF-1J with GBP and they released (or are releasing) a VF-1J Mass Production in their SD lineup.....do I really want to start on a 1/72 line??? :pardon:

image4.jpg

Has anyone handled the Kitzconcept SD VF-1S or any of their other offerings? I'm curious to know how solid/sturdy their plastic is.  My latest purchase; Evolution Toy's Legioss has me a bit apprehensive about buying into a relative new company. Their 1/72 scale fully transformable VF-1S almost seems too good to be true if it lights up and has metal content. 

Edited by adankree

5 hours ago, adankree said:

Has anyone handled the Kitzconcept SD VF-1S or any of their other offerings? I'm curious to know how solid/sturdy their plastic is.  My latest purchase; Evolution Toy's Legioss has me a bit apprehensive about buying into a relative new company. Their 1/72 scale fully transformable VF-1S almost seems too good to be true if it lights up and has metal content. 

Our very own Jenius reviewed this at anymoon.com.

Hope that helps.

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=9366

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Chest looks wide. 

No more so than the Yamato 1/48s did.  Kitz Concept's rendition of the VF-1 actually looks pretty good; my only beef with it is the way the nose cone seems to be split top and bottom at the leg anchor bulges' mid-line; it's bound to cause an unsightly gap in fighter mode.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Mechaninac beat me to it. If they really wanted to, they can make DYRL valks, especially to make the most of their sculpt.

They would need to get BW/Studio Nue/Tatsunoko/basically someone other than HG's blessing, right?

HG licensed those Popbox pilot figures, some super poseables, and several 1/100 toys as DYRL merchandise. This may have been clarified after the fact since there was some more legal wrangling but otherwise it seems they can do DYRL stuff.

These are looking pretty cool. Only part I find strange looking are the intakes on the chest piece. Too used to Yamarcadia design for so long.

One thing they need to remember, they shouldn't release the Super VF-1S with Roy as the pilot as he never flew with that equipment.

It should be Rick in the Super VF-1S. :p

Technically Hikaru never flew a Super VF-1J, but that didn't stop Yamato releasing that version. :rolleyes:

Edited by eggy99

Chest too wide, but not bad at all in general. GBP is a straight Yamato 1/60 ver 1 rip off.

I'm not very interested but cool for the folks that want a RT veritech.

The definite VF-1 is still the 1/60 yamato/arcadia ver 2.

14 hours ago, Rogueload said:

You won’t see a strike Hikaru 1S in this line because it’s under Robotech. 

Harmony Gold/Tatsunoko Production has the international merchandising rights to DYRL, so KitzConcept has the option of releasing DYRL variants. But it's safe to say that HG's licensees will usually lean towards TV merchandise, since the TV show has more exposure here in the west.

2 hours ago, eggy99 said:

These are looking pretty cool. Only part I find strange looking are the intakes on the chest piece. Too used to Yamarcadia design for so long.

One thing they need to remember, they shouldn't release the Super VF-1S with Roy as the pilot as he never flew with that equipment.

It should be Rick in the Super VF-1S. :p

Technically Hikaru never flew a Super VF-1J, but that didn't stop Yamato releasing that version. :rolleyes:

or just include both pilots? :good:

5 hours ago, eggy99 said:

Don't worry. Everyone knows that. But that didn't stop Arii years ago to make a model kit of it too. :rolleyes:

05kcgI8.jpg 

y2EFUTL.jpg