Does specific tiny magnets for modelists exist??

Gatsu

Hello, i need to ask a question to the expert modelers here: does exist a production of tiny magnets of various shapes and dimensions for modelists?? I'm thinking about using micro magnets to fix the issue with the pegs in the vf-1 1/72 wich should block the legs in fighter mode.

Wow, thank you that site looks great!

WMCheng's works are gorgeous, is here a way to find the pics of all his works??? Has he put them in a thread or something? I mean the finished job not the step by step.

P.S. Do you know who can i ask to know what kind of magnet dimension and shape should i use for a specific fix of that kit? Somebody who knows the Bandai vf-1 kit...

Edited by Gatsu

look to the N rating for the strength, higher the N number the stronger the magnet will be. I use N45 5mm x 3mm magnets to hold my Hasegawas onto their display cases slightly inverted. 3 on Perspex sticks to match with 3 hidden inside the model is enough.

For weapons and things I use TINY little 2mm ones rated at N50

Word of warning. Keep them MILES away from any kids as to swallow a couple at this strength is to invite disaster, pain and death within the intestinal tract. Treat them as lethal until they are mounted into place.

Edited by NZEOD

look to the N rating for the strength, higher the N number the stronger the magnet will be. I use N45 5mm x 3mm magnets to hold my Hasegawas onto their display cases slightly inverted. 3 on Perspex sticks to match with 3 hidden inside the model is enough.

Word of warning. Keep them MILES away from any kids as to swallow a couple at this strength is to invite disaster, pain and death within the intestinal tract. Treat them as lethal until they are mounted into place.

Yes, i undertsand, i have a cat, anyway... i ll be very cautious. The magnets should not be too strong to be difficult to be separated... i should use them to replace those tiny pegs that block the legs in fighter mode... which are about a parallelepipedon of 1 mm thick and 2 mm large.... i d like to simply inserta magnet inside the holes in the legs and attach in some way the other magnet in the dorsal piece... i d like to post a pic but as usual there is not a function to post an image from my pc here. If i click on "image" it askes me an URL!!

... i d like to post a pic but as usual there is not a function to post an image from my pc here. If i click on "image" it askes me an URL!!

When you click on the [Reply to this topic] window you're presented with some basic posting functionality, but if you hit the [More Reply Options] button to the right of [Reply], you'll be given a few more options including the ability to attach files; just scroll down until you see the [browse...] button under the Attach Files heading: Click on [browse...], select your picture file off your HD, Click [Attach This File], Click Add to Post to have it show up directly on the post instead of as an attachment, Click [Preview Post] to get I preview ( all the way on top) of how the post will look, make any adjustments you may deem necessary., Click [Add Reply].

That's how I included the dancing banana animated gif, and it will work with most picture formats too.

post-664-0-76050200-1473254907.gif

Peanut butter with a baseball bat...! Yeah, K&J is great. I got their smallest one to put ordinance on a 1/350 model. There would be no other way to make them removable than to glue them without sacrificing detail. - MT

• 3 weeks later...

Yep as mentioned the 1x2mm are really a great way of securing panels etc on kits.

Mintox, can you say me what are the 2x1mm magnets? I m not able to find them

Nzeod i m not able to find 2mm magnets at N50, they have only n42 and N52 and there are not that small as you say in N52

no idea how you fail to find stuff with google search but this took me 1min 30secs to track down...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2mm-x-1mm-Tiny-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-N50-New-Super-Strong-100-or-200-pcs-/201549388904?var=&hash=item2eed479c68:m:m-p8IcDFXkc6zuOwEgs8ZlQ

2mm x 1mm n50, 100 pack

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

no idea how you fail to find stuff with google search but this took me 1min 30secs to track down...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2mm-x-1mm-Tiny-Neodymium-Disc-Magnets-N50-New-Super-Strong-100-or-200-pcs-/201549388904?var=&hash=item2eed479c68:m:m-p8IcDFXkc6zuOwEgs8ZlQ

2mm x 1mm n50, 100 pack

s-l1600.jpg

Have you ever spoke about e-bay? No, the subject of discussion was that K&J shop.

Just jump on ebay or alibaba or what ever the Chinese one is. You'll find most things there.

No idea what the K&J shop is, never used it.

Edited by NZEOD

For you and I outside of the States eBay and Amazon are just as easy. That 1mm x 2mm pack I suggested is super cheap and would last you for a few models.

I'm going to be testing the bigger ones to their max by trying to mount one of the ES-11D Cats Eyes upside down in one of my Wall Display cases! That should be nerve racking fun!! Close to 1Kg held upside down be 3 magnetic points only....what could go wrong!

For you and I outside of the States eBay and Amazon are just as easy. That 1mm x 2mm pack I suggested is super cheap and would last you for a few models.

I'm going to be testing the bigger ones to their max by trying to mount one of the ES-11D Cats Eyes upside down in one of my Wall Display cases! That should be nerve racking fun!! Close to 1Kg held upside down be 3 magnetic points only....what could go wrong!

But i need blocks of 4mm x 3mm x1mm and 3x2x1 not round one... i m still looking around.

Gees I'm good to you...

Your 4mm x 3mm x 1mm N52 (strongest grade) blocks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tiny-magnets-4x3x1-mm-N52-grade-neodymium-block-small-craft-4mm-x-3mm-x-1mm-/162074206481?var=&hash=item25bc602111:m:mAWOSdazRPio9ORlB9DMZzA

s-l225.jpg

Your 3mm x 2mm x 1mm N52 (strongest grade) blocks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Tiny-Magnets-3x2x1-mm-N52-Neodymium-Blocks-small-strong-rare-earth-neo-/162219935139?hash=item25c50fc5a3:g:W3MAAOSwYshUaOTt

s-l225.jpg

International shipper based in the UK so not too far from you and WAAAAYYYY cheaper than K&Js. Easy as.

Edited by NZEOD

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed canopy and the small magnets modification. I used 2 different magnets size 3mmx2mmx1mm and 4mmx3mmx1mm. It was an easy fix, i just glued with super glue the magnets to the legs and armour, then i dug some space on the legs armor parts for 4x3 magnets to connect to the legs 3x2 magnets.

post-3926-0-03450800-1476647613_thumb.jpg

post-3926-0-48149500-1476647634_thumb.jpg

post-3926-0-90927800-1476647661_thumb.jpg

post-3926-0-01608500-1476647858_thumb.jpg

post-3926-0-99473500-1476648004_thumb.jpg

post-3926-0-91825600-1476648032_thumb.jpg

post-3926-0-35180400-1476649080_thumb.jpg

post-3926-0-13573300-1476650492_thumb.jpg