Mission 23: Scarred Requiem  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive ( Finally taking a bite out of the apple farm )
    • Neutral
    • Negative ( Isn't this trainwreck over yet? )

I have to agree with the Macross 7 comparison by Seto, initially it was quite weak, but the storyline developed eventually. You could argue they could've pared Macross 7 down, glad they didn't.

They either need to develop these characters, or not bother at all. With Mac7, there was also familiarity in terms of some of the characters that could continue to hold interest. But onto this episode....

Bogue is once again inspirational, but is stopped short by the rest of his short sighted colleagues... if he had killed Freyja, he could've ensured the eventual success by the Lenscrafters spokesman. Speaking of whom, nice gut shot to Kumo Kumo, starting with a little of the roid rage, eh? Beating up a woman, and then tying her up? Oh man, is Roid deciding to go for another team now that he has been rejected?

Hmm, so there is a "klaatu barada nikto" in the marcoss universe... heh heh, and it affects Mikumo.

Strange, the VF-22 wasn't shot down, it was taken intact, talk about fishy... So, the NUNS base is intact? what the heck have the Windermerans been doing, holding the base open for people to reclaim it? Then having the "original" MDE dropper as a trophy/momento?

Silly... I wish we could've had a flashback episode. Is Herman going to die any time soon? How about the evil twin brothers?

OK, I'll give M7 props for having interesting "supporting" characters, even in the early cours...

Herman's stoicism is fishy. I have to agree he seems to know something, The intact VF-22, even if it were restored, is another fishy aspect here.

Edited by Zinjo

^ This. This so much. Did the writers forget that those were a thing. They're literally in the enemy's motherland, surrounded by all sides with no way to get back home. EX-Gears would have at least helped them evade capture longer.

What's worse is that all the pilots were wearing them in their cockpits!

But why, oh, why would you restore the inside when the outside is memento enough of the shame? Why going the extra mile to restore the engines? That would be a WTF that not even a batallion wide tactical facepalm could sufficiently describe.

OK, you are speculating based upon what the prisoners were told by a guy with a very poor honesty record... think about that.

Almost forgot to watch it.

Neutral vote. Stuff happens that's good. Animation is still lacking but I do like the background images. Maybe I played too much Metal Gear but it would have been cool if Walkure were doing a bunch of violent silent take downs.

Not sure how EX-gears would help here - if the teamwere to fly they would be easy to spot, and also easy to blast out of the skies?

They are, after all, not aware of Heinz wanting them alive. (And I wonder if that was actually Heinz, or Roid manipulating Heinz).

Also dropping spoiler tags - 24h from subs have passed.

Best comparison ever, I laughed hard. I had almost completely forgotten that musical, I'm now listening to it at work. :)Gilbert Sullivan are still fantastic 150 ish years latter.

Xaos! You don't have to be suicidal or incompetent to work here, but if you weren't you'd be working somewhere else.

Or maybe...

Arad: "When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!"

or better yet...

Arad: "Everything I know about infiltration and stealth I learned from Pirates of Penzance... that's not a problem, is it?"

* This is not a sneaking mission.... it's picnic.

* So far in this 2nd half, the only satisfying way to see Valk in action, is in the ending credit. I repeat the ending over & over to see a 31 swooshing around + catchy song too.

I'd say Delta was worth it if we end up getting A DX Chogokin VF-22 out of it.

You bet. The same as VF-19Advance cameo in Frontier.

Very meh episode. I still question why they're trying to do a stealth based "Song" attack even though they won't have their fold applification equipment. It "MIGHT" have worked if the enemy didn't know they already made it on planet. That's the point of stealth!

I do agree it looks like the leadership have been using Wright as a propaganda piece even though he might have done something for them.

Just lack luster writing over all and i'm sure we'll see a brain washed Mikumo in the finally rehashing the need for song power to restablish friendship and all that.

Not sure how EX-gears would help here - if the teamwere to fly they would be easy to spot, and also easy to blast out of the skies?

Could have used it to traverse harder terrain in less time instead of relying on roads and walking paths. They lost half-a-day going to ground as they did.

..I still question why they're trying to do a stealth based "Song" attack even though they won't have their fold applification equipment. It "MIGHT" have worked if the enemy didn't know they already made it on planet. That's the point of stealth!

----->>

Can I call this episode, "How to waste the element of surprise"?

==========================

In order not be disapointed next episode, I've decided to spice things up. I'll open up a beer at episodes start. Every time someone says the words "wind" or "sing" I'll have a sip. That should be fun.

BTW, how drunk are we this week?

OK, you are speculating based upon what the prisoners were told by a guy with a very poor honesty record... think about that.

I know I do. I know that has not happened, nor is written in stone it is going to happen. But so many flags... The guy may be a liar, but that would matter if there were any semblance of character coherence. They just switch roles on a whim. I even had the impression that the targeted public is now one twenty years younger or more. Probably from the very start, just we oldies clinged to the notion it was targeting us.

The fact that the pilot was found dead in the cockpit makes me wonder if he was one of the first targets for song-based mind control. :huh:

The shadiness of everything they're saying just reeks of blatant lies.

If you think about it, is it bad if we can see this way back from when this show started? If this plot point turns out to be true... or if they are running with that kind of plot point.

Can't wait to see Hayate have the VF-22 go battroid and breakdance his way out of the castle

Basically came just to say this. :) Very convenient that they kept his dad's Valk in good shape.

Y'know, the stuff like "Mikumo has never had a normal meal before" would be a lot more touching/interesting if we has learned it like maybe 10 or 15 episodes ago. I'm pretty much ready for this show to be done with.

Edited by DJ_Convoy

Actually this dawned on me earlier today, while watching a Documentary on N. Korea a few months ago they have the USS Pueblo (A recon ship) in borderline mint condition at there Anti-US War museum and keep it on display for mostly Propaganda/tourist purposes... maybe some civilians can see it.

So it's not very far fetched at all that Windermere would go through the trouble of restoring the VF-22 and keeping on it a Bandai display stand.

The second Voldor infiltration should have happened episode 15 and the rest of the reveals should have been spaced out in an increasing level of distrust in Chaos as the team learns how much they've been holding back and what the did to Mikumo. That could have made the birthday episode the team recoalesing after slintering a little. Hell they could have even done the meal and snowball gags there with more people and time.

This show.... I don't think I've ever watched a show with so many good elements put together so poorly. It's a sea spider, jellyfish ,apple, and BBQ sauce smoothie.

This show is sooooooooo bad...

The next 3 episodes are gonna be rushed as hell. I can predict the rest of the plot.

- Roid will try to dominate the universe with Kumiko star singing abilities, we'll get some stupid Sharon Apple and Sara reference to get that "nostalgia factor"

- Keith will find out that Roid and the dead king tricked Hayate father, killed and theb use his VF-22 to frame and deploy the dimensional weapon to unlock the protoculture ship, Keith will join Hayate and MIrage to stop them.but not before seeing Roid eyeglasses collection again before it's shattered.

- They stop Roid by doing a lot of scissors and cobras and there's some sort of main character cliffhanger... wait for two Movies to "clean up the story" and save the ending.

Sell a lot of DX toys and Walkurie figurines.

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Guess I'm one of the few that want to see Keith die, not be Brera Sterne v2.0. I find nothing redeeming about any of the Knights. And Keith being willfully ignorant of Roid's plans ("I'll go where the wind takes me.") doesn't jive with me.

I do see something redeeming about Herman. And death flags over him.

Keith... he deserves to die well, with honour. If he turns coat to save his brother or something like that, he deserves to die a hero and live on in memory of the cluster. (I suspect this is what he is being set up for in the story, anyway).

If it;s that and Mikumo sacrificing herself by singing as she wants to, then this is getting very predictable. I do agree the show has a lot of good ingredients and mixes them in a bad way. And it was actually going well until ep.13...

Even if delta has a kickass last 2 eps. I don't think it will save the series for me. I think that boat has set sail already. They blew it. Poor Mirage and Mikumo development. Lame mecha action. too many other things to list. Like others have said, lots of good ingredients but put together poorly. I seriously doubt they can wrap this up in 3 episodes In a satisfying way. Too many story elements that need to be touched on. They haven't utilized the mecha to its full potential. We haven't even the 31 use the beam gunpod in its hand yet.

This is the first time in the history of Macross, that I have now officially lost interest in a Macross anime and am no longer excited for each new episode.

Heck, I'm not even calling it Macross Delta any more. To me it's now been renamed "The Walkure Show".

Too many things handled badly, which I'm not gonna list as I'd just be repeating what many of us have already been complaining about.

I still love the VF-31 design, just a pity it's been so underutilized.

I'm curious what Japanese fans are saying about the show.

Could have used it to traverse harder terrain in less time instead of relying on roads and walking paths. They lost half-a-day going to ground as they did.

----->>

==========================

BTW, how drunk are we this week?

Started of fine but got progressively more festive as the Knights got more lines.

Guess I'm one of the few that want to see Keith die, not be Brera Sterne v2.0. I find nothing redeeming about any of the Knights. And Keith being willfully ignorant of Roid's plans ("I'll go where the wind takes me.") doesn't jive with me.

I agree. The Knights have been the worst bit about the show for me besides the lazy writing and pacing in the second half of the season. They are so utterly bland, their dialogue and actions are repetitive (how many times must Bogue go though the same motions) and they come off as just a bunch of country bumpkins who think they're special because their grandad was something important once upon a time. To make matters worse we all just know that they "will" be redeemed before the end.

The Zentradi were an awesome antagonist as were the Vajra. They really scared you when you first came across them. Heck even the Mardook and Anti-UN forces are more compelling that the Breakwind Knights.

I'm still holding out hope for a genocide ending for Windermere. They refuse to learn a lesson and continue to push their ancient super weapon untill it explodes their planet the knights and Hienze can get their face turn sacrificing themselves to stop it dragging the rest of the galaxy to hell with them.

That might just come from the fact that I don't like how many superpowers they have.

I agree. The Knights have been the worst bit about the show for me besides the lazy writing and pacing in the second half of the season.

And the sad part is, I still think the concept behind them is actually really cool. They had the potential to be some of the most badass antagonists in a Macross series. I mean, a whole team of enemy combatants with the approximate threat level of Brera? A disgruntled humanoid race with a feudal era culture who are scrappy and resourceful enough to pose a threat to the NUNS (or at least smart enough to stay under their radar until it's too late to stop them)? So much potential :(

And the sad part is, I still think the concept behind them is actually really cool. They had the potential to be some of the most badass antagonists in a Macross series. I mean, a whole team of enemy combatants with the approximate threat level of Brera? A disgruntled humanoid race with a feudal era culture who are scrappy and resourceful enough to pose a threat to the NUNS (or at least smart enough to stay under their radar until it's too late to stop them)? So much potential :(

meh.

Macross-II has a lot better concept.

I mean, a whole bunch of sexy Ishtars!

Can't really beat that.

Kawamori oughta accept and embrace the Marduk concept, or at least the Ishtar army of sexay, for his Macross universe. Just re-do MII already, ffs!

He and his teams have been doing alot worse than it, anyway...

meh.

Macross-II has a lot better concept.

I mean, a whole bunch of sexy Ishtars!

Can't really beat that.

Kawamori oughta accept and embrace the Marduk concept, or at least the Ishtar army of sexay, for his Macross universe. Just re-do MII already, ffs!

He and his teams have been doing alot worse than it, anyway...

I really should get around to watching Macross II at some point

The animation in the last episode of Macross II was lacking and it suffers from not being official. In hindsight after watching Delta Macross Ii doesn't get enough credit. Sure it is retelling of dyrl but all sequels are essentially repeats of the same formula.