3D Print replacement parts for Yamato 1/48's & 1/60

pezley

• 2 weeks later...

My wish list:

- 1/48 replacement heads

- 1/48 and 1/60 gun straps

That would be awesome if there's a way to get these as well! Good luck with your project.

Heads are coming along.

Gun strap.... I dont have my original to hand, what material is it ? I could easily remake them out of thin leather. I have a vinyl cutter that would do it just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

if you could do replacement wing flaps for the 1/48th scale Yamato's that would be awesome. I could really use a replacement set for my Max 1-J but don't know if you could pull off the blue color. If not no biggie, I can paint it myself.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this is still going on, but I broke the hinge piece on my Yamato VF-1A's right ventral fin. Any hope for a replacement?

IMG_0076.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Do you still have the broken-off piece of that hinge?  If so, you'd be much better off using a tiny drop of ABS plastic weld on it to fuse the bit back in place.  If that is not an option, the hinge can be repaired by shaping a piece of spare ABS to fill in the missing portion, making the thing whole with plastic weld (NOT CA super glue, NEVER super glue).  Another option is to use 2-part epoxy putty to patch the area -- this would likely require CA or some other type of strong glue.  The first option is ideal as it woukd not require any painting, just a little filing, sanding, and buffing of the joining edges to have the hinge look and work almost like new.

Thanks for the reply. The other bit is gone I'm afraid. As for the epoxy thing, for such a small bit, some advice on how to proceed would be welcome! I've never tried that before. 

19 hours ago, Sildani said:

Thanks for the reply. The other bit is gone I'm afraid. As for the epoxy thing, for such a small bit, some advice on how to proceed would be welcome! I've never tried that before. 

Pull the fin-hinge assembly out of it's slot on the leg.  Isolate the area with the break with scotch tape.  Knead small portions of the 2-part epoxy putty together until homogeneous.  Apply to break and let cure.  After curing, apply pressure to it to see if it comes off... if it does, use super glue to reattach.  File, sand to shape.  Paint to match.

I removed one of mine to check, and upon close inspection, it occurs to me that this is a piece that could easily be manually carved from a block of Evergreen brand Styrene, or equivalent.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Lord_Of_Tetris said:

Any chance this service is still being offered? I'm looking for a BP-8 replacement piece for my 1/48 VF-1A (Max colors)...

I still wonder if the OP still check this thread. :unknw:

On 2/2/2017 at 10:15 PM, Sildani said:

I don't know if this is still going on, but I broke the hinge piece on my Yamato VF-1A's right ventral fin. Any hope for a replacement?

Those fins are so innocuous until one fails. I bought a used VF-1A where the nubbins on the inner edge of the hinge were worn down, losing their grip to the hinge sockets. My choices were to either appoxy the piece in place and leave it static (so that it couldn't fold over) or fashion a pin replacement. I ended up going with the pin method. 

Click the spoiler to see both fins removed from Max's TV VF-1A. The repaired fin is on the left.

Spoiler

1afins.png.761676bda9c66259d66e9465f479844d.png

Click this spoiler to see the repaired fin in the leg. I had to massage the fixed piece to get it to sit correctly. Eventually, I got it to sit flat in the folded position just like the good fin. In this pic, you can also see a tiny missing wedge of plastic on the right side of the hinge. That was an error I made when placing the pin. *sigh* Oh well. This fix saved TV Max for me, but I hope I don't have to do another surgical fix like that again anytime soon.

Spoiler

1apinfin.png.56a79daf4dccee9184ed15154b0f257c.png

• 2 weeks later...

In a little under two weeks from today I'm going to start making the side vents and pilot seats to go along with the neck cover.

Once made, I'll be throwing them up on my shapeways store with no mark up to test the pieces (I don't have income to buy fun stuff anymore) for a limited time so you can test them for me. I'll put them up in 3 lots; neck cover + cover & seat - neck cover + cover + tandem seats - side vents x2 (L&R) and also maybe all in one lot to see if that'll be cheaper.

Any interest in that>?

Slowly getting back on the horse and eyeballing my old design plans for that VF-11 Armour...

12 minutes ago, Kurisama said:

In a little under two weeks from today I'm going to start making the side vents and pilot seats to go along with the neck cover.

Once made, I'll be throwing them up on my shapeways store with no mark up to test the pieces (I don't have income to buy fun stuff anymore) for a limited time so you can test them for me. I'll put them up in 3 lots; neck cover + cover & seat - neck cover + cover + tandem seats - side vents x2 (L&R) and also maybe all in one lot to see if that'll be cheaper.

Any interest in that>?

Slowly getting back on the horse and eyeballing my old design plans for that VF-11 Armour...

Hey Kurisama! Welcome back. ;)

Me, I want a DX VF-31J head with no horn/head laser but instead have VF-31F's head side lasers. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to working on this today. 1/60 scale. Just gotta mock up the 2-seater spline thingy and i'll upload.

Would people prefer all this in one kit or the closed neck cover available separately?

Maybe just everything for a set in 1 pack, i.e. closed neck cover, open neck cover, 2 seats, 2 seat trays and 2 back splines (long + short)?

VF_1_Bits_01.jpg

VF_1_Bits_02.jpg