Tomytec Gimix 1:144 VF-1A vs. F-Toys 1:144 VF-1A

Vifam7

Finished building the Tomytec Gimix VF-1A. Took me about 3-hours to complete (1-hour each night). Like all of the prior Gimix aircraft releaes, this is a very impressive kit. Lots of fantastic detail. Most parts simply snap into place. Glue is needed to put on the wheels, missiles, pylons, and forward fuselage antennae.

The forward fuselage antennae is microscopically small. Be very careful. They can easily get lost. My advice is to use superglue (cyanoacrylate) and quickly get them attached.

antennae_zps6cvmkcnw.jpg

First some pics of the VF-1 on the tarmac

top%20side%20view%2002_zpsjvqx91ow.jpg

side%20view_zpsfwdc1rdz.jpg

rear%20view_zps2axuaakq.jpg

top%20side%20view%2001_zpsor7kcvs3.jpg

Now for the comparison to the F-Toys VF-1A. Granted, it's not a fair contest. One costs 500 yen, the other costs 3,000yen.

side%20by%20side%2001_zpsvhvvzrru.jpg

side%20by%20side%2002_zpsv8qgiwxx.jpg

top%20view%2003_zpsttv2rfkj.jpg

top%20view%2002_zpsqfvlhlb3.jpg

top%20view_zpssnzfao0q.jpg

bottom%20view_zpsk1a2ljrr.jpg

Interesting pictures, thank you! Of course the Gimix has great details and definition, but the canopy looks pretty wide, and the landing gear is totally off, something I didn't notice in the previous photos I've seen. And in comparison, I think the F-Toys Valk has a better side profile in the front section.

Interesting pictures, thank you! Of course the Gimix has great details and definition, but the canopy looks pretty wide, and the landing gear is totally off, something I didn't notice in the previous photos I've seen. And in comparison, I think the F-Toys Valk has a better side profile in the front section.

The nose gear on the Gimix is a tad on the thick side. It also seems a bit too tall/long. However, the length is needed to give the model the proper horizontal stance. The nose gear on the F-Toys is nice and thin but way too short, giving the aircraft an awkward nose down stance.

Later tonight, I'll compare the canopy size with that of a F-15.

Edited by Vifam7

Tq for the comparison pics vifam! I agree with electric indigo that the ftoy has a nicer side profile on the nose section. The tomy needs a slightly longer nose with more tapering up on the lower side.

I myself like a angled parking stance, but the tomy has better defined gears. I dont think it would be difficult for the frontier struts to be shortened via customisation..

the tomy definately tops the details dept and would be more realistic and less toy like looking on display.

And when it comes to battroid the gritty look is awesome..

Looks like the F-Toys one might be based on the Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 mold? Just the general proportions seem very similar, but that lower leg droop angle is really familiar.

The Tomytec one definitely is wider, but I think it works on the design. Might be due to the proportions needed to make the parts swappable into a battroid configuration too.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice comparison, thanks for posting! I have a bunch of the F-toys I picked up in Japan a few years ago and I haven't even opened them yet. I think I'm going to have to do that tonight, they actually don't look all that bad!

I wonder if I can panel line the F-Toys without fukking it up too badly.......

Nice comparison, thanks for posting! I have a bunch of the F-toys I picked up in Japan a few years ago and I haven't even opened them yet. I think I'm going to have to do that tonight, they actually don't look all that bad!

I wonder if I can panel line the F-Toys without fukking it up too badly.......

Yes you can panel line the F-Toys. The lines are just deep enough for it to be possible. I did and I suck at it haha. Turned out great. They have a surprising amount of detail for the "initial price" when they were originally sold and have aged well.

• 1 month later...