ARII 1/100 variables packaging variation question

crazysteve

I only started collecting the ARII variables late last year. Does anyone know if the ARII varaible 1/00 super VFs all came in both black box and silver box variants? So far I've seen all the supers with 'black box' packages except for the 1D, and I know the 1S comes in both versions. But I've not seen silver variants for anything besides the 1S and 1D. Then again, I've only been looking since around October. I was hoping someone with more extensive ARII knowledge could explain which variants exist among the 1/100 varaible supers.

I don't have the short answer for you, but have you seen this from the legacy page: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/_models_plastic.htm

Most of the kits should be shown there with descriptions. Some of it was special box art if I remember correctly. - MT

Oh yes the MacrossWorld models page will always be my go to resource when it comes to getting a really good idea of what all came out. It was there that I first saw a picture of the silver and black box VF-1S variants. The MW Original Arii list gets a little spotty near the end, though, and the super variables were the tail enders of the original Arii numbered releases. So I've looked around and found a few Japanese lists that fill in a the holes and complete the release info but very few address packaging variants like the MW list does.

I did find this one Japanese list that I believe mentions the black box variant while showing the sliver one:

http://www.plastic-models.net/macross_original_list.html

And I believe this to be the most comprehensive list of 80s Macross models but I don't read Japanese so I can't figure out if these specific variations are discussed within:
http://www.terra.dti.ne.jp/~dossoull/data32.html

I realize I am kind of late to the party with all this and the last people who cared about ARII kits probably got out of the game 20 years ago, but I figured it was worth asking. I think I'll just start writing that 'only the 1S variable had the two styles of boxes' and wait for a comment or correction to pop up from the internet and set me straight.

I can't really be of any help regarding box variations, but I still collect the 1/100 scale variables. I'm just not very diligent about it. I just recently aquired one of the non-super/strike versions after a looong time looking. Does anyone know if these are one of those cases of an injection kit's molds being permanantly modified to produce the up-armored kits?

I'm no expert on the subject but I'd say based on an inspection of the sprues and the parts themselves that this was not the case.

28753783025_62a973c24a_b.jpg

On top are the parts for the base VF-1J Max and on bottom is the Super VF-1A. Of particular note are the trees in the upper right of each set.

You can see how they segregated all the parts so that the shared parts were included on two sprues in all the kits, but the parts unique to the super/non super configurations were on their own separate sprue (upper right of each pic).

It looks like they just designed the base model first, then came up with new modified parts that could just be used wherever there needed to be armor or anchor points for the FAST packs. The biggest tell is that if you compare the outer halves of the legs, the base valks have panel lines on them that carry over from the inner part of the leg onto the outer part of the leg. But the outer leg parts on the super versions don't have the continued panel line detail.

It's all kind of screwy but I think it's a consequence of ARII not designing the super parts as simple add ons, but instead making them all new parts with molded on detail that swap in wherever they need to be.

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I've also taken an interest in the Imai and Arii 1/100 and 1/72 variable valkyries.  I previously made a list of 1/72 Macross model releases, although it does need to be updated.  I took a particular interest in the silver boxed Arii 1/100 variables of which I have (6) so far.  They released them with and without super armor.  I don't have any of the black box variety yet.  

I'll post some pictures as soon as I have time, please post pictures of your silver and/or black box Arii 1/100 as well.

Thanks,

Christopher B))