Model maker challenge VF-17/171

NZEOD

I REALLY need a 1/72 VF-17 and a VF-171 series fighters in my Hall Museum but they JUST DONT EXIST!

I'll pay a few hundred for one and I'm sure a couple of others would jump on the band wagon with this (maybe not paying the price I would...) to fill out the orders.

This is a weird one as its not an uncommon design in the anime series yet its never been done in this scale while most everything else has.

Any takers?

Tall order for this one as the only ones made in 1/72 were Wonderfest exclusives I believe. Wonderfest 2016 Summer is happening this weekend. Maybe there is a rare chance it might appear?

edit: Dunno if seventh moon is even participating this time.

Edited by wmkjr

I'm thinking more along the lines of our resident 3D gurus coming up with one or our own over the next year like they did for the Drones and now the Workroid.

Being WAAAAAAAY Down under in NZ getting to Wonderfest isnt an option and Proxy buyers dont exist.

Edited by NZEOD

Here is the 1/72 resize. I don't like the cockpit on the colored line, it's looks too big compared to the 1m80 men silhouette.

attachicon.gifsize.jpg

I would better follow the shapes of this lineart.

attachicon.gifvf-17d-fighter-lineart.gif

And I am really not a fan of Macross7 anime proportions!

Line art looks far better -- that cockpit on the coloured art is cartoonish in proportions.

Here is where I am at after a few hours. This is really an early sketch, it needs refinements and detailing but some lines are pretty, I will try to share it through Sketchup Warehouse later.

This can be a resin kit once printed and refined. Who wants to take over?

post-15880-0-87886400-1469208237_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-20385800-1469208239_thumb.jpg

post-15880-0-99417800-1469208239_thumb.jpg

Heh, I should have access to a resin printer soon, after my wife gets it set up. Open source model?

At that point, I'll really need to start brushing up on my 3D skills...

Kelsain, if you want you can have a look at the file. I just uploaded it to the warehouse

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/embed.html?mid=702d464e-c7fb-4f53-b193-8dcdb73676d1&width=580&height=326

It might be a while before we get the printer set up in the lab. One of the things we're waiting on is a computer to run it!

We are totally going to order 2 distinct supplies of resin, though. 1 for relevant projects, 1 for personal.

a decade since the VF17 appeared and we've waited for a 1/72 version... alittle longer waiting wont kill anyone

It'll give me a good excuse to start up again at least. You said you're using sketch up?

I have done a few projects in FormZ, which is a simpler Mac friendly SolidWorks. I have issues doing panel lines, though. So far, my simple successes are Lego SDFM helmets & 6" scale Captain Rex pistols for a black series conversion.

I've tried to model some Macross ships, but haven't messed with it much lately.

I'm interested in a fighter-mode kit of the '17 and the '171!

And I'm wiling to pay what it takes to get one of each...

I'm interested in a fighter-mode kit of the '17 and the '171!

And I'm wiling to pay what it takes to get one of each...

that's 2 of us

• 9 months later...

Funny to see this come up again. My wife finally got the printer set up this month; as yet I haven't had a chance to play with it. I've got a few other smaller models I want to try before I even attempt printing something like this...

So far, she's been taking it through it's paces; printing extinct shark teeth, Tully Monsters, neurons and clitori for teaching purposes.