ES-11D Cat's Eye

Thom

I can't seem to find it with the search function, but I recall a while back that there was discussion of a later run or recast of this kit that didn't include the fan detail inside the engines. I think it had some sort of covers on the fronts of the engines that were supposed to represent them configured for space flight. I may be getting this mixed up with another kit, but it looks like this is the original Moscato kit? I'd like to get one but just wanted to make sure I don't pick up the wrong one. Hopefully SSM will get some more in soon.

I can't seem to find it with the search function, but I recall a while back that there was discussion of a later run or recast of this kit that didn't include the fan detail inside the engines. I think it had some sort of covers on the fronts of the engines that were supposed to represent them configured for space flight. I may be getting this mixed up with another kit, but it looks like this is the original Moscato kit? I'd like to get one but just wanted to make sure I don't pick up the wrong one. Hopefully SSM will get some more in soon.

My understanding is Blappy acquired the masters from the good captain [Mr. Moscato] and is now casting the kit and retailing it through SSM. I'm hoping to pick at least one up when they go up for sale, but we'll see how raided that particular piggybank is when that happens :ph34r:

My understanding is Blappy acquired the masters from the good captain [Mr. Moscato] and is now casting the kit and retailing it through SSM. I'm hoping to pick at least one up when they go up for sale, but we'll see how raided that particular piggybank is when that happens :ph34r:

Sent David, aka Blappy, a message last night about when he'd be making any more. Will pass on the response.

He has his own website store too.

http://www.blapmodels.com/

6 weeks is the ETA for the Cats Eye to be stocked again at Starship Modellers!!

YUS!!!!!!

Start saving ladies, and concocting plans to hide it away from the Wife.

Start saving ladies, and concocting plans to hide it away from the Wife.

Don't have one of those, so it looks like I'm already 1 step ahead! :D:p

Don't have one of those, so it looks like I'm already 1 step ahead! :D:p

Try having a wife and a Mistress!... actually... don't. Even with both in agreement and harmony is chaos.

I might have this done by then. Time to start squirreling some more funds into Paypal is now!

Did some pinning on the current Cat's Eye. This time the canards to give them a little more strength.

ES-11D-043_zpsx610o46d.jpg

ES-11D-045_zpsdrfbbrcw.jpg

ES-11D-044_zpsxm2hfeem.jpg

I also neatened up the join between the tail and the ECM pod. Just a dab of Mr. Dissolved Putty and then a finger wipe to get the excess off.

ES-11D-042_zpstib4vjvo.jpg+

Then I need to do the nav lights and then hit the canopies. I'll have to be real careful there, otherwise I'll be buying another set from Blap!

Thanks, and I'm glad you like it!

I'm certainly having fun putting it together.

In fact, I had little more fun today, as the diminishing number of parts will attest!

ES-11D-049_zpshuhqeqjx.jpg

I did some work on the chin pod, which was basically sawing it in threes and throwing out the middle section. Now there are two sensor-pack-thingys. The

larger one is staying in the original position, and the second is going on the back behind the RIO. The red spru will be the NAV lights that will be under the nose

and atop the ECM pod on the tail.

ES-11D-046_zpsbnconeqr.jpg

Like so...

ES-11D-051_zpsvjbq54l1.jpg

ES-11D-050_zps0iify1ih.jpg

I also put a little device extending down from under the nose as an extra sensor type thing-a-ma-bob.

ES-11D-048_zpscgc5xk1t.jpg

Now I have to do the wing tip lights and the pilots, and then the canopy.. Please don't let me mess up the canopy...

Make a quick plug mold of the canopies so you can vac form a replacement if needed. Sculpting clay with a stick to hold it by, spray some non stick baking spray in the canopy insides, push in the clay, remove, set... done. Then if you DO screw it you just clamp some sheet between some picture frames, toss it in the over for 20secs on grill to soften it to sagging point then ram your clay plug through it using the stick. Let cool then trim.

TO do it even better, make a quick box with a tube to hook up a vacuum cleaner. cut out the top plate of the box, fit in some mesh or perforated sheet.

run some foam or rubber seal round the edge the same size and shape as the picture frames holding the clear film. Fit the clay plug into the centre of the mesh frame, hook up and turn on the vac cleaner, drop the sagged heated film frame down hard and fast over the clay plug until the frame seals to the foam box seal... you'll see the film suck down into the mesh... let it cool... trim...

Poor mans Clear plastic.... coke bottles...

Edited by NZEOD

Thanks! Hopefully I won't need that technique!! And there are already plugs in the canopies, so half done there already if I need to!

And... work on the fuselage isn't done just yet.

Looking at it, I decided that this area need a little somethin...

ES-11D-054_zpsy2hcwzvr.jpg

So, back to the old faithful Gundam parts and I found these.

ES-11D-055_zps33quz5sf.jpg

Which, after a little cutting and sanding and shaping, will end up like this.

ES-11D-056_zpsvzwwcejo.jpg

It's a little wider than the tail of the plane, but after being blended in, and I think it'll look good.

Edited by Thom

Tail 'boom' is in place! I'm dreading the primer coat for all the sins sure to be revealed!

ES-11D-057_zpsaaznpid7.jpg

And all the blisters!

ES-11D-058_zpsgwyip2k1.jpg

Also finished the wing tips lights. Took a few tries on one where the first went perfect. They are very small and made from clear sprue.

ES-11D-059_zpsaodxgskb.jpg

Edited by Thom

• 2 weeks later...

Been a couple of days, but I've been working on the canopies. They were a real bugger to get off the plugs, especially without crazing the plastic! Then it was sand sand sand sand sand sand sand untill they finally started to fit. Then I sanded too far! Oh well, they're just tiny gaps. After two dips in Pledge Future Shine and a day to dry, they are on the fuselage. I'll wait until the CA has fully set before-

Okay they're off!

Dupid me, I hadn't realized I'd smudged the inner rear canopy. Dang. I'll clean and try again!

CA? for clear parts?

you're not using canopy glue or Micro Krystal Klear?

I love Krystal Klear, such useful stuff!

Well, I tried Klear at first, and it worked good for May's canopy. But the Stig's just would stay on, so CA came out again. Kind of oa double-edged sword, as it worked, but it fogged around the edges despite the two coats of Future previously applied. I'll just have to keep the masking and higher on the sides than I would originally want. No big deal, as I can 'splain it away as a newer canopy style!

So they are on, gaps not withstanding by poor sand-to-shape-skills!

ES-11D-070_zpsxkqwz9dr.jpg

I'm applying small amounts of Mr D Putty and wiping it off to build up a layer around the edges, and especially to cover the slight gaps that were at the front of both glazings. That and where I mask it for paint should help.

Also did the chaff dispenser. I took one of the sensor blisters from the spine, drilled holes in for dispensers and glued it to the belly.

ES-11D-072_zps21eiokid.jpg

This misc piece replaced it.

ES-11D-071_zpstk6o8ty1.jpg

Have I mentioned how good Gundam has been to me!?

And I'm changing its model letter. With so many changes, it's no longer an ES-11D. Now it's an ES-11E.

Arent those the Countermeasures packs on either side of the arrestor hook?

They get reloaded as a complete unit like a cassette. Hence the rectangular housings.

Well, it still looks good, so it's staying :lol: !

Retcon: ELINT-Buoy dispenser?

hmmm... Twinkie launcher?

Make the plane an ES-11ADV

A drone controller for a couple of Ghosts as close protection would be cool.

Edited by NZEOD

Looking good. Can't wait to see the finished kit with the ECM pods and other extras.

Slide, to clear up some misinformation I acquired the masters from Capt and Blappy is doing the casting work for me.

Oh!

thanks for setting that straight

*jealous glare*

Well, it doesn't extend much further from where the top of the tail used to be... :o

A little update. She in paint!! WooHoo!!

A little primer at first to see where any corrections needed to be, Not too many thankfully.

ES-11E-073_zps21akwhjk.jpg

then I did preshading in German Gray. And since the canopy frames are in black, I decided to hit the tail and wing tips as well.

ES-11E-075_zpsktjss8l4.jpg

ES-11E-076_zpsoljuracz.jpg

There I did see some light sanding is still needed at the wing tip joins, but that should be done quick enough. Then it'll be time for the white coat, going lightly to let

the shading show through. After that, the nose and tail will get Model Master Dark Tan 4709, and then more black 'decorations' for the main body.

Hopefully she'll be into decals before long. Especially the one for the dish!! :D

Than you!

She went into paint. But not without a few set-backs. I managed to snap the resin pins for the wings and had to do a little repair.

ES-11E-079_zpsi7eegbmo.jpg

And I bumped the tripod stand for the dish, requiring a repair there. I think accidents multiply after the first one happens.

Anyway..

ES-11E-078_zpsop8kuooa.jpg

ES-11E-077_zpsjqfhqk89.jpg

I also burned the pizza I had for lunch today - and forgot the canards...

ES-11E-080_zpszeellsni.jpg