Just finished up the 3rd season and must say I found it more entertaining than the 2nd season.

Starts off slow, but after the 3rd episode it really kicks off and doesn't let up until the last episode.

Liked all the continued nods to several 80's movies in this one too!

And it's definitely not over.  No way Netflix would end it all now when they are about to do battle with Disney+ over your subscription dollars!! ;)

10 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Can't watch it via Netflix's smartphone app?

Yeeeeeh....but I like my Stranger Things in my living room on my 65" with the surround cranked up and the lights down. Just not an "app" video watcher on a phone or tablet for my favorite shows. 

On 7/7/2019 at 9:15 PM, Graham said:

Just up to episode 6 of season 3 and really enjoying it far more than season 2, which to be honest I found a struggle to get through.

And I loved season 1

On 7/8/2019 at 1:06 AM, David Hingtgen said:

Just finished S3 a bit ago---and yeah, liked it more than 2.  

I'm in agreement, but I think watching the third season made me appreciate the second one more.  I mean, I think the first season was a great standalone sort of thing.  The second season had the pressure of living up the first season working against it, but in hindsight I also think it was only telling half the story (when it wasn't getting sidetracked by El's road trip).  Season 3 doesn't actually feel like the third season, it feels like it's finishing the second one.

The Duffers have said that if they get to do a fourth season that it'll be a bit different.  And I think that's a good thing.  While the Demogorgon was kind of the big bad from the first season the Upside Down itself was an interesting and integral part of the story.  Aside from being the place where the Mind Flyer came from the Upside Down was largely forgotten in the following seasons, but it's something I'd like to see them circle back to.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, Hiriyu said:
  Hide contents

My uninformed guess is that "the American" is Murray/Bald Eagle, and that Hopper is alive and somewhere in the Upside Down.

Might be a new character, or even a nobody.  The mere mention of an American is clearly a red herring.

As for Hopper, yeah, when Joyce looked in and didn't see him, and they showed the Russians dying but not Hop, my first thought was "maybe he went through the portal and he's in the Upside Down."

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the last episode and now looking forward to the last season - I'm sure there will be one and then be done - the kids are growing quickly and basically they have enough time for one more season before they are adults.  A large part of the show is that they are kids and I don't think the (insert term here) can't be replaced once they are adults.

On 7/8/2019 at 4:31 PM, Hiriyu said:
  Hide contents

My uninformed guess is that "the American" is Murray/Bald Eagle, and that Hopper is alive and somewhere in the Upside Down.

Spoiler

How would they have gotten Murray/Bald Eagle?

I think (hope!) it's Hopper. He could have gone through the portal, and that the Russians have a Demogorgon shows that they do (or did) have an open portal as well. If it is still open, then Hopper could have made it through. Which brings up the question though, is there somehow a short-cut between portals, or would he even have been able to survive long enough in the Upside Down to even reach a secret base all the over in the Soviet Union..?

Edited by Thom

21 hours ago, Thom said:
  Hide contents

How would they have gotten Murray/Bald Eagle?

I think (hope!) it's Hopper. He could have gone through the portal, and that the Russians have a Demogorgon shows that they do (or did) have an open portal as well. If it is still open, then Hopper could have made it through. Which brings up the question though, is there somehow a short-cut between portals, or would he even have been able to survive long enough in the Upside Down to even reach a secret base all the over in the Soviet Union..?

Spoiler

The last we see of Murray he's hoofing it through the door into the storage/logistics area we've seen some of the Russian scientists and soldiers flee through. We don't see him again on the surface during the final character roundup in the mall parking lot as we do with Joyce and all the kids. Murray was dressed in a Russian soldier's uniform (and speaks Russian), so it's possible that he was knowingly or unknowingly corralled during an escape attempt by the Russian team.

Hopper is much too obviously the character that people would want The American to be, thus based on the logic of modern cliffhanger television writing it cannot be him.

Really they were just leaving it open in case David Harbour wouldn’t return...cough Hellboy.... If it was a success and he moved on then they could make it Bald Eagle or maybe even Mathew Modine’s character and if it Flopped...which it did then they could bring back Hopper. Kind of a good move on their part really.

Chris

1 hour ago, Hiriyu said:

Hide contents

The last we see of Murray he's hoofing it through the door into the storage/logistics area we've seen some of the Russian scientists and soldiers flee through. We don't see him again on the surface during the final character roundup in the mall parking lot as we do with Joyce and all the kids. Murray was dressed in a Russian soldier's uniform (and speaks Russian), so it's possible that he was knowingly or unknowingly corralled during an escape attempt by the Russian team.

Hopper is much too obviously the character that people would want The American to be, thus based on the logic of modern cliffhanger television writing it cannot be him.

Spoiler

Last I saw Murray, he was declaring himself and Joyce as American's when the US soldiers stormed the base.

30 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Hide contents

Really they were just leaving it open in case David Harbour wouldn’t return...cough Hellboy.... If it was a success and he moved on then they could make it Bald Eagle or maybe even Mathew Modine’s character and if it Flopped...which it did then they could bring back Hopper. Kind of a good move on their part really.

Chris

Wow, I didn't even realize that it came out!! Shame it didn't do good, for Harbour at least. But I think it was too soon since Perlman's Hellboy run.

1 hour ago, Thom said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Last I saw Murray, he was declaring himself and Joyce as American's when the US soldiers stormed the base.

Wow, I didn't even realize that it came out!! Shame it didn't do good, for Harbour at least. But I think it was too soon since Perlman's Hellboy run.

Being too soon after Perlman's Hellboy had nothing to do with it being a flop.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...