Ok here's my fan-theory about the Upside Down:

The upside down is not just a parallel dimension, but actually a future earth where all live has died except for these creatures. Some cataclysmic event occured, like a nuclear war and winter, and these things are one of the few living organisms left.

Nah.....Stranger Things is just a prequel to The Mist...

Also, how about their science teacher? What a boss. Smart, a total bro to those kids and a ladies man.

LOL...yeah I liked his character....I like how he finds the questions about the topics odd, but he chalks it up as kids being "curious"....they should keep the gag going with the kids questions getting weirder and weirder each season with the teacher thinking nothing of it... ^_^

I tried going the one episode per night route with this, but ended up watching the last two episodes together the other night. What a blast.

For me, it definitely had an H.P. Lovecraft, Steven King vibe going for it, especially with how the known world found itself connecting to something not quite right in the upside down parallel universe. And I liked that twist. I hope if they do try for more seasons that they don't try to explain too much about why the upside down is the way it is. I like thinking about it from Eleven's perspective: that it is a bad place. That works well enough for me and this spooky story.

Edited by technoblue

Yeah, I tried that too. What a laugh. I gotta say, having consumed Netflix's Marvel shows, Voltron, and now this, they really are just hitting them out of the park. The shows aren't absolutely perfect, but when compared to everything on TV minus Game of Thrones or maybe Walking Dead, they really are great. Go Netflix go!

I tried going the one episode per night route with this, but ended up watching the last two episodes together the other night. What a blast.

He seemed to be very forgiving of children, which most adults should be anyway.

yeah. I really liked that they went that route and not the typical a-hole TV teacher way. Especially when he helped them in the middle of date night... lol. Little things that made this show extra special.

Yup, and I have to admit...I liked Steve. He wasn't that bad of a guy and when you think about it, seeing things from his point of view would look a bit fishy.

In the end he ended up being a descent guy who regretted his actions and even saved the day. I figured him showing up at the house was just going to up the body count but instead was pleasantly surprised.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

Just finished the series. Absolutely loved it. They have just got to do another season! More El dammit!!!

According to an article in Variety magazine, the Duffer brothers would like to do more. The link is in between a spoiler tag since the article talks about the end of the first season, and hints at the why of a few things...

• 4 weeks later...

My theory is that Wynona Ryder wasn't even acting. That's just how she is in real life. The cast just acted around her craziness.

I have the same theory about Tom Cruise. They just tell him that the movie is real and he thinks it's actually happening.

Also, how about their science teacher? What a boss. Smart, a total bro to those kids and a ladies man.

Their teacher is totally Bill Waterson.
Bill_Watterson.jpg
Edited by danth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I wasn't that overwhelmed by the show. It really was breathing quality through and through, but I think they gave away too much of the mystery early on and it became less creepy and a bit predictable as a result. I did enjoy the nostalgia factor, but it could have been a bit more original too.

I loved it from start to finish. Personally I think they showed just enough each episode. Knowing the "Monster" before the end is ok since there was more interesting things going on to find out at the end. I was more interested in the character bits and the twists that were done with the standard formula for a show of this type.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally watched this show after my wife showed interest in it :) First episode was slow but we started to enjoy it more and more as it progressed. As a child of the 1980s (born in '73) I wish I could say my childhood was that interesting but that was before Internet and Robotech/Macross too! Can't wait for the second season!

56 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Finally watched this show after my wife showed interest in it :) First episode was slow but we started to enjoy it more and more as it progressed. As a child of the 1980s (born in '73) I wish I could say my childhood was that interesting but that was before Internet and Robotech/Macross too! Can't wait for the second season!

I can honestly say that I am bloody well VERY happy my childhood was not that interesting!

• 3 months later...