7 hours ago, kajnrig said:

That Guardian review seems to be the only wholly negative review so far (at least based on just the headline; I'm not gonna bother with reviews or indeed the movie).

Hope all of you enjoy it, though, and get to wash out the sour taste of the last few DCEU films.

Me thinks they expected too much from a superhero movie...:p

3 hours ago, Graham said:

One should never pay attention to anything in the Guardian anyway...........hahaha

I was practically loling when i read the headline...i must admit it was quite creative to come up with weaponised smurfette!

On 5/28/2017 at 6:19 PM, kajnrig said:

I don't. Well, I don't think it will do better critically, anyway, at least not significantly. Sales-wise, all of DCEU have made money, so that's kind of a given.

15 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Well frakk me. Still won't bother seeing it, but I'm glad they finally seem to be getting their crap together... enough for a one-time success, anyway.

Just watched it and agree its the best DCU movie thus far. Very entertained and chris pine's character started corny but in the end was quite relatable...supporting cast was good and lastly the star of the show gal gadot was breathtaking!

fight scenes oozes with amazonian spirit.....the scene at the town with tank and tower especially will be much talked abt/remembered after the movie.....villian was quite menacing also and provided amazing visual fight scenes...

Overall definately an entertaining yet empowering movie for women and the younger generation and the menfolk will enjoy a nice action romp...

Edited by seti88

Saw it last night with my wife, we both LOVED it! Great movie, IMO. I agree that the Town fight was awesome as well as the Paradise Island fight. Gadot and Pine's chemistry was great, heartfelt, 

and heartbreaking

I think Gadot has shown that she can handle leading roles now....and....completely unimportantly.....she has to be one of the most beautiful women on the planet, my God she is beautiful.

i was very happy with this movie. :)

Chris

Saw it last night as well and loved it as well.   DC has a surefire hit with this one.  Gal Gadot was awesome as a lead, she's going to hear crickets from her doubters.   

1 hour ago, Dynaman said:

It was ok, I'm not sorry to have spent the money to see it in the theater but didn't find it exceptional in any way.  For a DC franchise movie that is actually saying something.

That's what I'm worried about, that people will praise it to high heaven because it's just good enough, a mark the DCEU has never been able to achieve. I feel like the movie has a set of impossibly high expectations placed upon it through no fault of its own; it's expected to pull the DCEU out of the critical doldrums AND be the feminist pillar of superhero movies AND appeal to traditional superhero movie fans AND be a star-making vehicle for Gal Gadot (who it could be argued already had her breakout performance in BvS because really does anyone care about anything else in that movie?) AND continue the DCEU overarching story line AND so on and so forth.

If it's just another decent movie a la Thor 2 or the first Captain America, that'll be a solid notch in its belt, DCEU be damned.

On 6/2/2017 at 5:54 PM, kajnrig said:

That's what I'm worried about, that people will praise it to high heaven because it's just good enough, a mark the DCEU has never been able to achieve. I feel like the movie has a set of impossibly high expectations placed upon it through no fault of its own; it's expected to pull the DCEU out of the critical doldrums AND be the feminist pillar of superhero movies AND appeal to traditional superhero movie fans AND be a star-making vehicle for Gal Gadot (who it could be argued already had her breakout performance in BvS because really does anyone care about anything else in that movie?) AND continue the DCEU overarching story line AND so on and so forth.

If it's just another decent movie a la Thor 2 or the first Captain America, that'll be a solid notch in its belt, DCEU be damned.

That was my fear as well, but I can honestly say that Wonder Woman was infinitely better than all of the DC movies thus far and better than a few current Marvel movies as well (looking at you Age of Ultron and pretty much every Thor movie).

My fear for DC is that follow-up movies won't be as good and we'll be right back where we started with Man of Steel, Batman v Superman & Suicide Squad.

And No Man's Land was flat out EPIC.

-b.

Saw it this morning- really good movie. I do wish, however, that the actors playing Nazis would speak German instead of badly accented English when they are among other Germans. It's a nitpick, but one that always bugs me in these movies. I had the same complaint about Captain America.  On the bright side, Gal Gadot owns this role, and the movie all around does a great job of rounding out Diana's character and showing why she's every bit the hero as her male counterparts, maybe even moreso, as her goodness and idealism are so pure. Kudos to the filmmakers and actors who did right by the character.

Just got back from seeing this movie on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I don't think I've ever been more pessimistic about a movie, but after seeing it I can say that I've never been more suprised about how much I enjoyed it. 

Gal Gadot may not have the boobs or the butt that I think Wonder Woman should have, and her accent is off-putting also, but she is beautiful and she played the part of Diana so endearingly that you can't help but fall for her and the rest of the movie.  I also LOVE what they did for the costume; somehow the update doesn't make a half-naked woman running through a battlefield seem corny like I thought it would. 

I could go on and on, but suffice to say this is one of my favorite superhero movies to date, right behind Ironman #1, Avengers and the Dark Knight Trilogy. Gal has made me a fan of herself and the movie.

I do have questions, though: 

Spoiler

*what happened to the German cruiser/destroyer/whatever ship that made it through the barrier concealing the Amazon island?  

*why can't Diana return to the island?  Is this part of the Wonder Woman mythology?

*is Diana just lucky that she managed to evade the thousdands of rounds shot at her?  Her sisters didn't seem to fare so well on the island. 

Edited by myk

@M'Kyuun, just a minor thing but they weren't Nazi's, they are just Germans. The Nazi party didn't rise until 1933 and are mainly associated with WWII. ;)

@myk, about your questions.

1) I was wondering the same thing. I guess that will show up on a "Everything Wrong With" video

2) I don't know about that either, maybe they were worried that she would show Ares how to find them. But with Ares dead, maybe she can return....she has to get a new sword (seen in BvS) somehow.

3) She is different than the rest of the Amazonians. She is essentially a Demigod, the daughter of Zeus and Hypoltia. The Amazons are creation of Zeus, similar to mankind, so a coupling with a God gives an offspring extra powers...as Hurcules has powers being the son of a God and human. Since the Amazons seem to be a step up from mankind, Diana is also a step up in the "Demigod" level.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

25 minutes ago, Dobber said:

@M'Kyuun, just a minor thing but they weren't Nazi's, they are just Germans. The Nazi party did rise until 1933 and are mainly associated with WWII. ;)

@myk, about your questions.

Reveal hidden contents

1) I was wondering the same thing. I guess that will show up on a "Everything Wrong With" video

2) I don't know about that either, maybe they were worried that she would show Ares how to find them. But with Ares dead, maybe she can return....she has to get a new sword (seen in BvS) somehow.

3) She is different than the rest of the Amazonians. She is essentially a Demigod, the daughter of Zeus and Hypoltia. The Amazons are creation of Zeus, similar to mankind, so a coupling with a God gives an offspring extra powers...as Hurcules has powers being the son of a God and human. Since the Amazons seem to be a step up from mankind, Diana is also a step up in the "Demigod" level.

Chris

I call them Nazis in all but name, they sure as heck don't act like the Germans of the time.  As for the movie being a record breaker - only by slicing down things in a certain way.  Kinda like saying a movie is the highest grossing family comedy of the summer.  Not to say it will not do well, making 2/3 of the production budget on the opening weekend with excellent word of mouth is a very good start.  

Dobber, oops, thanks for pointing out my gaff there. Ahem, not Nazis, but Germans, although the portrayal of said Germans was rather stereotypical of their later Third Reich brothers. As for the German ship coming through the barrier, it was listing to starboard and I just assumed it sank and never gave it another thought. As for never returning, I was thinking it may be out of fear that she'd inadvertently give away the location of the island, although in many of the WB toons over the years, she's returned many times to Themiscyra without consequence. So, shrug. IDK. And for the third question, I'm with Dynaman. According to the movie, she was created by Zeus as he was dying to be a weapon capable of killing a god, making her a god, or godlike. I was under the impression that all of the Amazons are demigods, fathered by Zeus, as they all have heightened abilities compared to man. Zeus was the original player.

Spoiler

I liked the scene in no-man's land where she summons an Evangelionesque AT field (Cruel Angel's Thesis immediately popped into my head during that scene) :p. It makes sense to me to make her something apart and above her Amazonian sisters, as even in the cartoons, she always seemed more powerful. It also explains her rapid healing, immortality, and near invulnerability.  It was also fun to see her learning her abilities as she goes along, starting with her jump onto and climb up the tower holding the Godkiller Sword. That smile when she rams her hand into the side of the tower is golden. Credit to Gal for making her enjoy being who she is- no brooding with her- she fully embraces her abilities and her responsibility to destroy Aries and save mankind. That same smile during her fight against Doomsday in BvS is what stuck with me after seeing that movie. It was a nice contrast to both Batman and Superman, who bear the severity of the burden of protecting the world on their faces most of the time- they're not having fun. Diana is. It's what she was made to do, and she's happiest doing it. It's a great contrast, and I hope they maintain it. Looks like some of that levity is coloring the tone of Justice League, too. Looking forward to it.

Great movie! Better than MoS and BvS! ;) 

Spoiler

The only complaint my wife and I have is that the fight between WW and Ares in the end is not as great as the battle in the No Man's Land segment.

And for a moment while watching it, I really totally forgot about Lynda Carter. That's how gorgeous Gal Gadot is as Wonder Woman. :wub: 

2 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

Dobber, oops, thanks for pointing out my gaff there. Ahem, not Nazis, but Germans, although the portrayal of said Germans was rather stereotypical of their later Third Reich brothers. As for the German ship coming through the barrier, it was listing to starboard and I just assumed it sank and never gave it another thought. As for never returning, I was thinking it may be out of fear that she'd inadvertently give away the location of the island, although in many of the WB toons over the years, she's returned many times to Themiscyra without consequence. So, shrug. IDK. And for the third question, I'm with Dynaman. According to the movie, she was created by Zeus as he was dying to be a weapon capable of killing a god, making her a god, or godlike. I was under the impression that all of the Amazons are demigods, fathered by Zeus, as they all have heightened abilities compared to man. Zeus was the original player.

Hide contents

I liked the scene in no-man's land where she summons an Evangelionesque AT field (Cruel Angel's Thesis immediately popped into my head during that scene) :p. It makes sense to me to make her something apart and above her Amazonian sisters, as even in the cartoons, she always seemed more powerful. It also explains her rapid healing, immortality, and near invulnerability.  It was also fun to see her learning her abilities as she goes along, starting with her jump onto and climb up the tower holding the Godkiller Sword. That smile when she rams her hand into the side of the tower is golden. Credit to Gal for making her enjoy being who she is- no brooding with her- she fully embraces her abilities and her responsibility to destroy Aries and save mankind. That same smile during her fight against Doomsday in BvS is what stuck with me after seeing that movie. It was a nice contrast to both Batman and Superman, who bear the severity of the burden of protecting the world on their faces most of the time- they're not having fun. Diana is. It's what she was made to do, and she's happiest doing it. It's a great contrast, and I hope they maintain it. Looks like some of that levity is coloring the tone of Justice League, too. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, that smile she gives when Doomsday knocks her down was something I instantly noticed and LOVED. Apparently, that was all Gal's doing too. ;)

As for the Demigod thing:

I was under the impression that while Diana is the Godkiller, it wasn't like how her mother told her in the stories. Like I was saying...she's like a Demigod, only her non god half is Amazonian rather than human, don't know if the term applies when the other half is not human. The Amazon's seem to be a step up from Humans so she is stronger than the half human Demigods like Hercules, and like Hercules she will be stronger then here pure blood non-God half. Remember she was calling Ares brother at the end. They are half siblings. I don't think the Amazonian's are Demigods, I just think that they are creations of Zeus, like man...just stronger, faster, ect.

Chris

edit: Oh, and how she looked by the fire the night after the Town battle.....oh my....my heart leapt. :wub:

Edited by Dobber

American ignorance is beyond stereotypical, as we keep proving it. Alas, I'm glad they went the extra mile to have both younger actresses who played Diana, as well as her fellow Amazonians, speak with a similar accent. It may not be ancient Greek, but different enough to sound foreign, as it should.

And, I must concur, that Gal Gadot is absolutely striking to behold. Before BvS, I'd never heard of her, but mad kudos to the casting people who gave her the role. Now I can't imagine anyone else filling it.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

So it's confirmed then that Wonder Woman

Hide contents

was NOT made from clay? Dang...

Depends.

In the movie, she's not made from clay. That's just a cover story to hide her from Ares.

If we go back to the comics (which I mentioned earlier in this thread...

...prior to the New 52, she was formed from clay. After the New 52, she became a demigod. Then came Rebirth, and they modified it again. She's still a demigod, but her cover story was she was molded from clay and given life by Zeus to cover up the one-night stand Zeus had with Hippolyta. Why? Because Hera was still around and according to Greek myths, Hera never look kindly on Zeus' infidelity. There was the whole, Heracles-issue.

Fox news.  They'll make your brain melt. 

Really happy to hear ppl accepting her as WW.  I liked her in bvs but was a little worried about her carrying a whole movie.  Her and Chris really worked out great

42 minutes ago, azrael said:

Depends.

Reveal hidden contents

In the movie, she's not made from clay. That's just a cover story to hide her from Ares.

If we go back to the comics (which I mentioned earlier in this thread...

Reveal hidden contents

...prior to the New 52, she was formed from clay. After the New 52, she became a demigod. Then came Rebirth, and they modified it again. She's still a demigod, but her cover story was she was molded from clay and given life by Zeus to cover up the one-night stand Zeus had with Hippolyta. Why? Because Hera was still around and according to Greek myths, Hera never look kindly on Zeus' infidelity. There was the whole, Heracles-issue.

Ah, yeah, I meant the movie canon. Should've specified. Thanks.