Macross Frontier - Michel & Klan

So.... I came across this page whlie in the Macross Reddit sub and while I understand that the writer's only Macross knowledge comes from Plus and Frontier, this article still irks me.

Do a lot of Macross fans have issues with Michel & Klan's relationship?? To me it's always made sense as Klan is, regardless of her form, a full adult Zentradi.

https://wavemotioncannon.com/2016/07/07/the-undiscovered-country-macross-frontier/

Without any exposition, I clearly understood that Klan's condition was a genetic anomaly. Maybe I understood that because I knew that the micloning process was based on gene reassembly.

Also, I've never seen any of you guys complain about the "inappropriateness" of their relationship as the reason you didn't like them. I thought it was handled "okay", but I share the same sentiment as this writer: they were WAY underutilized. I definitely wanted to see more of this couple. It was a much more mature relationship than the featured triangle. Cathy and Ozma were also another relationship that could have used more exposition. I guess I am just more drawn to the mature aspects of the show. As my girlfriend often quips, "Alto doesn't deserve either of the two girls". That triangle was, in my and her opinion, the weakest out of all in the show.

So.... I came across this page whlie in the Macross Reddit sub and while I understand that the writer's only Macross knowledge comes from Plus and Frontier, this article still irks me.

Do a lot of Macross fans have issues with Michel & Klan's relationship?? To me it's always made sense as Klan is, regardless of her form, a full adult Zentradi.

Honestly, the only person I've ever seen take issue with Michel and Klan's relationship is Michel himself... when he said that he couldn't date her because people would think he was doing something indecent.

Klan was meant to be some sort of "interesting" play on the idea of the loli girl, juxtaposed with a hyper feminized giantess, all in one. She was obviously a fan-service sex object for both fetishes.

The idea that it's some how "abnormal" to lust after childish looking women is simply incompatible with Japan and Anime culture. However, I don't think there's any reason to pretend that this isn't what is happening in Frontier.

This is what happens when there are too many subbed versions out there and not all of them are properly translated. I have seen 3 in which one stated she was clumsy as the writer stated, another stated she had clumsy gene's and the third one Michael stated she had a genetic deficiency or defect. As the person wrote, they are a novice when it comes to Macross but before you write an article it is normal to do some research especially when it comes to writing about subtitled anime. The individual obviously didn't spend too much time researching Klan or her back story. It is kind of interesting to see what an individual like Klan would go through having to deal with a genetic defect like this and how it affects her life. It would have been nice to also show to what end Michael is willing to go to be with her as he should be able to macronize because of the commonality between human and Zentraedi genetics. Sadly he dies before any of this can be seen. I myself don't have any issue with their tragic relationship, when you look at the ages of both of them, Michael was 17 and in micron form she was about 13 physically but she was actually older than him ( I do believe she was around 20) so essentially they were teenagers. The writers did have the sense in mind to keep their relationship out of the physical arena knowing it would get backlash if they did.

Edited by grigolosi