1/55 Custom shop 2017 Edition!

mslz22

These really take me back to when I first started with all of the customizing after my days as a youngster. Nevertheless, they look great. I kinda wish I could work on one, but alas, I've sold all of my 1/55s off. I now have a ton of unassembled Yamato kits, but those require a different type of work. I'll live my 1/55 customization through you. I remember making the feet be able to vector thrust, the legs rotate out, and so on. Those were the days of our innovation, LOL. Great work.

Thanks, for the sake of keeping these "reto"  I have been using rattle cans of Krylon fusion.  It's a great paint for 1/55's and keeps the look of those early 2000's customs I am going for.  It's also very scratch resistant after about a week of setting.

However,  I will say that after 10+ years of using an airbrush exclusively to paint,  using a rattle can kind of feels like trying to set a delicate brass furniture screw with a hammer.

After this one I may try decanting it into one of my cheaper airbrushes.  I just figured out that it cleans up nice with lacquer thinner.  I was never sure if it was an enamel or acrylic,  but lacquer thinner really cleans it up easy.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a nifty little last minute mod that i don't know if I have seen before.  I'm sure someone else may have. 

One of the things that always drove me crazy about doing customs is that the swing bar pin (that black spring loaded thingy) always would scratch the paint for the most part.  I got lucky sometimes with weakening the spring and putting some petroleum jelly on the pin.  And it was always a crap shoot.

So here I am using 1/4 neodymium magnets on the metal swing bars,  you have to drill out the area that pin would be coming out.  Then on the nose I put 1/8 steel pins.  I found that using steel rather than another magnet, while weaker does not have the issue of them needing to be lined up exactly.   I beef up the connection of both the magnets and the pins with a little apoxy sculpt.

f1hOZ3.jpgp9IpN3.jpgFMPmHE.jpg

Looking good Mike, it's awesome to see 1/55 custom valkyries again.  They were always my favorite to collect.  No one has done that particular modification to my knowledge, it's an interesting idea.  I did add some magnets to the leg armor so the inner clip would no longer be needed.  I recall that Jung would cut off the front of the swing bar making the nosecone look more sleek, but that also prevented them from transforming.  B))

Thanks,  I'm sure it's my age talking but nothing gives me the warm feeling I want from collecting than a 1/55 custom.   It took me years to realize it,  but for all the superior releases in 1/48 and 1/60 it's the 1/55 chunky that makes me happy.

1 hour ago, mslz22 said:

Thanks,  I'm sure it's my age talking but nothing gives me the warm feeling I want from collecting than a 1/55 custom.   It took me years to realize it,  but for all the superior releases in 1/48 and 1/60 it's the 1/55 chunky that makes me happy.

I believe it was 1986 and I was at Mervyn's (an old dept store that used to sell toys), so I'm maybe I'm 8 at this point. They had shelves of SW, Transformers & RT toys, when I saw all the Jetfire's I lost my mind and wanted one badly, my Mom said maybe for Christmas Santa will bring you one..... two days later on my B-day I unwrapped a Jetfire, Top 5 gift of all time!! :D

So despite being a 1/48 & 1/60 fan, the 1/55 is pure magic! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks,  update for today,  still lots to do.   I made 3 mods to this that i have not done before.  1 is the hip sockets,  which is cool not only for the pose but it also gets the legs in the right place.  2 Same type ball sockets at the shoulder.  3.  I eliminated the backpack connector part and attached the boosters directly to the standard backpack. This brings those boosters in a bit tighter.

Overall it only changes the proportions of the 1/55 a little bit,  but I think it goes a long way.   Of course all this only works as a non transformable battloid, but I kind of feel like this is what the 1/55  "wants"  to be in battloid mode.  Either way I feel like it's a good use of a $20 beater.9HEUJn.jpg

3 minutes ago, mslz22 said:

Of course all this only works as a non transformable battloid, but I kind of feel like this is what the 1/55  "wants"  to be in battloid mode. 

Incredible, really!  Curious, do you think there you could have added the hip joints and still kept the transformation?

What kind of joints did you use?  Also, I'm not sure if you have answered this, but what paints did you use?

30 minutes ago, Mazinger said:

Incredible, really!  Curious, do you think there you could have added the hip joints and still kept the transformation?

What kind of joints did you use?  Also, I'm not sure if you have answered this, but what paints did you use?

Could I make something that would allow it to keep it's transformation?  Short answer yes if I made something that mimics the 1/48 Yamato swing bar.  That being said it's completely unreasonable IMO to do so for a 1/55,  I bet it would be like 2 grand of my time/work to do something like that. 

I am happy to stick to non transformables for these customs,  like I said most of these are $20 beaters.

The ball joints for the shoulder and hips are just 3/8 diameter brass balls that come pre threaded with a 8-32 thread.  I just get some 8-32 machine bolts and cut them to the size I want.  In the case of the hips the threaded rod is just straddled across the "headlights".  You have to hog out a trench for them to sit in.   Then I just putty up the nose and glue it all together and it's good to go.  For the shoulders you need to make some mods but it's the same idea,  basically a 5/8 8-32 screw covered with a 5/32 piece of brass replaces the post.

In both cases I use apoxy sculpt to fill in the voids and then drill out 3/8 receiver for the ball joints.

It has limited motion,  but these are not for playing with.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...