The Medicom - Mafex - RAH Thread

Well I'm glad this thread finally got off the ground. I don't have any of the figures yet, but I've heard the quality has gone up since the line started. Any body have good experiences or a good figure recommendation to start with?

I have the currently available Vader figure and I love it. The wiring in the cape is a nice touch too and allows for dramatic blowing poses.

Chris

I have the currently available Vader figure and I love it. The wiring in the cape is a nice touch too and allows for dramatic blowing poses.

Chris

Same here. Scaling isn't too far off from the figuarts/black line that I may get Rey since I'm ambivalent to Hasbros version and Figuarts hasn't announced any heroes from TFA at all.

I had nothing but bad experiences with the Mafex figures I owned, the sculpts were okay, but the overall QC and build quality was awful. My Dark Knight Joker and Batman were both floppy messes, then against my better judgement I got a cheap Vader off Mandrake and his little peg in his helmet was broken off in the head itself out of the box, took over an hour to fish out and I scarred and messed it up pretty bad, also it's floppy. I'm getting BvS Superman and Batman, hoping they actually, finally stepped their game up, but not expecting much though. If these things are duds I'm tapping out of Mafex, which is a shame because WW and armored Batman look pretty good, along with the recently announced Deadshot.

Same here. Scaling isn't too far off from the figuarts/black line that I may get Rey since I'm ambivalent to Hasbros version and Figuarts hasn't announced any heroes from TFA at all.

From what I've seen the Figuarts figures are on the small side compared to the black series 6" and he Bandai kits. The MAFEX figures scale just right with the others too leaving the Figuarts too small IMO.

Chris

From what I've seen the Figuarts figures are on the small side compared to the black series 6" and he Bandai kits. The MAFEX figures scale just right with the others too leaving the Figuarts too small IMO.

Chris

They are slightly different but hey no two storm troopers are the exact same height. It's not like they're clones are anything....

I looked up a review of the Mafex Vader, his head is tiny compared to the rest of his body. Also, the helmet sits too high up. Funny enough, the reviewer broke the helmet peg partially off and the helmet sat better on the face after that.

I smashed my vaders helmet down causing it to form a slight button on the tip of the peg. Now it sits lower and doesn't spin around. Can't say same results would be for everyone else of course. You could clip the peg a little bit and add some future to thicken it up as an alternative. I think the size of the head is in proportion to the thinness of the body imo but it could use a little more bulk overall...just a little. The height is great to fit in with the black series. It's the only mafex I have until the bvs figures start rolling out. Waiting to see how suicide squad turns out also before preordering those.

I found the Vader helmet adult the best of the big 3....black series, Figuarts, and MAFEX. Maybe I just got lucky and got a good one, though Inreally don't play with the them or repose a lot.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I preordered Superman from BBTS so hopefully they get it in soon. Do they have different release dates for different countries? I noticed that Amazon had it in stock for awhile albeit at a a high price. I usually wait for reviews but I really want a good articulated Superman and this one looks to be the best.

I preordered Superman from BBTS so hopefully they get it in soon. Do they have different release dates for different countries? I noticed that Amazon had it in stock for awhile albeit at a a high price. I usually wait for reviews but I really want a good articulated Superman and this one looks to be the best.

not sure, btts says august, and technically it's august now. mine are in the air from hlj. hopefully they don't fall apart like c3p0.

Edited by Negotiator

BBTS is US based, they always get imports late, the figure is officially released over seas and people that ordered from over seas sites have theirs on the way now. That Amazon seller probably had new stock of the figure over seas and was trying to capitalize on people thinking they're getting a figure from someone in the US, they're not, they'll just pay an unnecessary markup. I pre-ordered at BBTS specifically because it would give me some time to gauge early in hand reviews, and if the figures end up being terrible like every other Mafex I've owned, I'd have time to cancel. Hopefully they figured their crap out with these guys, but their Nolan Trilogy Bat and Star Wars stuff has been pretty bad.

Got mine. Not going to have a chance to thoroughly go through them but quick observations... Note that superman's body is softer plyable plastic. This results in some loosness but not floppy loose. I hate the wrist joints they use but it's doable. The wire runs along the bottom and not the sides. The overall sculpt is great. Really possable but feels delicate. Not as tight as a figma or shf. Took batman to work with me so Will update when I get a chance

So Batman has harder plastic. joints are tighter. wires runs along the side of the cape. Couldn't be at the bottom because the ends are frayed. Superman shoulders have a wider range of movement in comparison for some reason. If I had to nitpick on bats, maybe his neck could be a bit thinned down. Also the paint on his mouth area, is a little muddy. Definitely feels more solid because of the plastic and tighter joints.

I'm beginning to feel like mafex figures are really great for posing and displaying and not really of an "action figure" to be rough with.

Edited by Negotiator

So I bit the bullet and got the Spiderman DX version after watching a few reviews saying the joints are tighter then the original release. Unfortunately the figure is still a floppy mess...Other than that it's a good looking figure with good articulation except for the shoulders. I like how the chest is made of a softer material but it's too bad they didn't give it a butterfly shoulder joint so he can get the arms across the chest.

• 5 months later...

Damnit Mafex...

The sculpt looks good, so does the paint at a glance, but man, that's a lot of issues for a $200+ figure. Scratched up paint, loose arms, that's unfortunately pretty standard these days for Mafex, I thought they would've stepped their game up for such an expensive release but I guess not.

^ Wow. And I thought I paid too much for my Chogokin Figuarts Hulkbuster since that one is smaller. But from the looks of it, it's way better even though it doesn't have that open torso feature. 

I was waiting when he did the scale difference that he will show the Chogokin Hulkbuster. Would it be nice if he has so he can compare. Hehehe. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

From TagHobby:

JUSTICE LEAGUE

MAFEX Series No. 57 [Justice League] SUPERMAN
March 2018 | Y6800
http://www.taghobby.com/archives/218014

m170311.jpg

MAFEX Series No. 58 [Justice League] FLASH
March 2018 | Y7800
http://www.taghobby.com/archives/217878

170302.jpg

MAFEX Series No. 60 [Justice League] WONDER WOMAN
April 2018 | Y6800
http://www.taghobby.com/archives/225872

MH180414.jpg

MAFEX Series No. 61 [Justice League] AQUAMAN
April 2018 | Y7800
http://www.taghobby.com/archives/225860

MH180405.jpg

MAFEX Series No. 63 [Justice League] CYBORG
May 2018 | Y7800
http://www.taghobby.com/archives/232635

M170501.jpg

MAFEX Series No. 64 [Justice League] BATMAN Tactical Suit Ver.
May 2018 | Y6800
http://www.taghobby.com/archives/232647
M170510.jpg

ASTROBOY

MAFEX Series No. 65 TETSUWAN ATOMU
June 2018 | Y7800
http://www.taghobby.com/archives/232619
m180602.jpg

AstroBoy is an instant buy for sure. ^_^

Just received the Mafex 2001 A Space Odyssey Astronauts/Suits. They are fantastic, and make for interesting additions to all sorts of displays/photos. They are the first Mafex figures I have bought and they seem real solid. Love the attention to detail. Also, I'm not sure if it is because of their design, but they seem pretty sturdy. I have tons of RAH figures, and they all have their issues. I have always chocked that up to Medicom's experimental nature with materials and construction, but with these Mafex Astronauts feel really good in hand. Let's see how they are in a few years. If they wind up like some of my RAH then I will be afraid to pose them. 

• 4 weeks later...