Macross Δ BD/DVD Thread (now with delicious English subs).

UN Spacy

It seems in general, that most of us here are just older, and expect these to be shows about war and battle, which has never been the focus of Macross. Delta really isn't anything new or different than what has been shown before, and if you point a number of things out in the series, there's most likely a direct reference to it in a previous show. It feels different than previous ones, that's for certain, but it's successful no doubt. At this point, there's no point in being upset at it. There's a target audience, and you're not in it. Many of us aren't supposed to be in it, but trying to make it seem like this is something way out of left field and totally foreign to what the franchise has always been is not really true.

Besides, I believe they did try to appeal to their older fan base with Zero, and that didn't turn out so well. That said, I'm totally OK with that. I don't like everything about Delta either, but I pick and choose what I like. Hell, there is stuff about every series they've done that I didn't like. SDF Macross wasn't my golden ship to sail on, but there was stuff I liked that kept me from jumping onto other things. I can make the same comparisons with Delta.

In any case, I don't see a point in getting so seriously upset over it. If it isn't for you, it isn't. There's hundreds of thousands it is for, and by seeing the masses of fans myself in concerts, events, and the audience it commands overseas, they did something right.

• 2 months later...

I haven't been on this site in years, but had something funny happen which i think is an accurate critique of macross delta.  I watched macross delta back when it was serialized, but legitimately had forgotten I had ever watched it. I made it about 5 minutes into the first episode when it all came back to me, and then skipped through some episodes to the finale (maybe 4 episodes for total recall).

My critique is synonymous to the empirical evidence; the show was forgettable. The characters feel like clones of more original characters from previous macross products (especially frontier). I would be convinced they only made the series to sell toys except they didn't actually have enough mecha fighting action to be guilty of that claim.  I really like the mecha designs, but unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't feel a strong enough sentiment to the characters and the series to open my wallet.  I might give in and buy one for the sake of Fandom, but i don't feel like they earned it. 

I know this sounds scathing, but i want to be clear that I didn't hate delta, I enjoyed it. It just felt too familiar, like the sequel to a very great and original movie (i.e.: matrix 2, hangover 2, this felt kind of like 7/frontier 2) which I think is why it was so forgettable.  When I say forgettable, I mean I literally couldn't remember a single character's name until I watched the first episode again, which is a problem I've never had for any previous macross series. The show started out willing to take some big risks, but half way through they seemed to abandon the original intent, and phoned the rest in. Then it started to feel like an exposition piece for random facts from the macross universe (maybe to help flesh out some lore as a nod to the fans) which I don't mind, I just prefer it to be through story/character development, and not spoon fed exposition. 

I'm hoping the future installment in the franchise takes some risks and is able to maintain the balance between character development, story development, and product advertising. Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but macross is still one of my favorite anime franchises, and is probably the only one I'm still loyal to in adulthood. 

• 1 month later...

I actually think the movie version works well. It hits just enough of the right story beats to be cohesive.

It also drives home the main point of the series, that I think got a little lost in the TV version. The Protoculture at their peak were poised to do exactly what Sharon Apple, Grace/Galaxy Fleet & Roid all attempted. Place all of the universe into their Vajra inspired Matrix. The main Protoculture faction at their end were "not" good people, and it's probably a good thing that the Protodevilin took them out.

With that said, I also think Macross should move on from any future big bads that want to enslave everyone into a network, that territory is now sufficiently covered.

I just finished Delta on some crappy boots. I don't get the hate. It's not a whole lot different from Frontier or Zero in my book. Silly singing, silly characters, cool fighters, weird protoculture stuff. Delta is better than 7 in a lot of ways IMO. I enjoyed the protoculture music as a weapon concept.

For us old timers, Plus, DYRL and SDFM would be difficult to beat. They're just not the silliness or otaku-ness that modern anime has to appeal to. We need a darker macross series. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 7:54 PM, emajnthis said:

I would be convinced they only made the series to sell toys except they didn't actually have enough mecha fighting action to be guilty of that claim.

Character merchandise. Figures, to be blunt. Every member of Walkure was seemingly designed first and foremost to check a specific interest off the list. No matter your tastes, there's some shelfcandy for you(unless you don't want plastic girls on your shelves at all). 

And then there's the Aerial Knights for the ladies to ogle.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there an English subtitld (or Voice acted) DYRL movie version?  I;ve found some on YouTube, but would like to have an actual copy. 

I purchased teh DYRL Hybrid Blu-Ray for the PS3 game and started to watch the movie, but to my surprise, there was no English Subtitle option.

1 hour ago, spacemanspiff said:

Is there an English subtitld (or Voice acted) DYRL movie version?  I;ve found some on YouTube, but would like to have an actual copy. 

Nothing official as of yet.

Japanese-produced English-subtitled releases were something that was experimented with in one or two of the Frontier movie sets, and didn't graduate to a standard feature until the home video release of Macross Delta's TV series.  It is our earnest hope that future re-releases of Macross features will include English subs as standard.

• azrael unpinned this topic