UN Spacy

Macross Δ BD/DVD Thread (now with delicious English subs).

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the sentiment. Delta discs are not a priority for me, even with the subs. Frontier discs I actually pre-ordered. Delta? I stopped after volume 2 and haven't really found the opportunity to pick up whatever else has come out. The bad taste this series gave off pretty much defined my buying preference. Eventually I may pick up the rest of the discs, but I'm in no particular rush to do so.

My impression has been a positive one so far. For me, Delta has high points like Frontier, but it is like we were given a new story in that same universe across the galaxy somewhere and it isn't breaking in a new mould for itself. In my opinion, a good past comparison to liken it to would be Macross Plus to Macross 7.

And with that in mind, I think everyone should try it out on their own for an episode or three before committing to it. But I'm already hooked.

My impression has been a positive one so far. For me, Delta has high points like Frontier, but it is like we were given a new story in that same universe across the galaxy somewhere and it isn't breaking in a new mould for itself. In my opinion, a good past comparison to liken it to would be Macross Plus to Macross 7.

And with that in mind, I think everyone should try it out on their own for an episode or three before committing to it. But I'm already hooked.

It's great until the halfway point, but then goes downhill rapidly from episode # 14 onwards.

I agree, brother! I had lots of fun with this show. The second half was talky, but that's okay. My taste in anime has changed over the years. Besides, I always felt that Walkure was the star of this show anyway.

I agree, brother! I had lots of fun with this show. The second half was talky, but that's okay. My taste in anime has changed over the years. Besides, I always felt that Walkure was the star of this show anyway.

I agree, Delta is less of the usual Macross show with sci-fi elements and an idol or two mixed in, and more of an idol show with some sci-fi elements mixed in. I liked AKB0048, and this seems like that with a very distinctive Macross theme. I was also getting a slight Legend of the Galactic Heroes vibe while watching disc 05. The political intrigue and the massive fleet battles, in particular. I do wish that Delta did more with the everyman soldier like LotGH did, showing them as something more than just cannon fodder. But that is my only criticism, and it is really just an acknowledgement that Macross uses recognizable over-the-top elements by design.

Edited by technoblue

I agree, Delta is less of the usual Macross show with sci-fi elements and an idol or two mixed in, and more of an idol show with some sci-fi elements mixed in. I liked AKB0048, and this seems like that with a very distinctive Macross theme. I was also getting a slight Legend of the Galactic Heroes vibe while watching disc 05. The political intrigue and the massive fleet battles, in particular. I do wish that Delta did more with the everyman soldier like LotGH did, showing them as something more than just cannon fodder. But that is my only criticism, and it is really just an acknowledgement that Macross uses recognizable over-the-top elements by design.

Massive fleet battles? We must have been watching a different show :o

Previous Macross series have always managed to balance the idols, music, mecha, action, love triangle, characters and story. Delta was disappointing in that the mecha, action and character development for most of the characters pretty much disappeared during episodes 14 to 25.

Graham

Thank you for supporting the official English release of the show. The team over here in Japan really appreciates it :-)

• Upvote 1

Yeah, once Macross had fleet battles with thousands if not millions of ships on either side. THAT'S massive. But that's one aspect of Macross that Kawamori et al. seem to have forgot lately.

Previous Macross series have always managed to balance the idols, music, mecha, action, love triangle, characters and story. Delta was disappointing in that the mecha, action and character development for most of the characters pretty much disappeared during episodes 14 to 25.

Graham

Well I've only watched up to disc 05, which covers up to episode 15. Episodes 14 and 15 are what I am referencing with my massive fleet battles comment (those with the Macross Elysion and N.U.N.S. fleets). I'm waiting on the other discs to finish the show, and can't comment on the later episodes until those arrive (I simply haven't seen them).

And where I agree that Macross does serve up its own unique mix of tropes to draw in an audience, I think the balance of those tropes has changed with each release. The balance of the idols, music, mecha, action, characters and story can change to help set each release of Macross apart from other anime releases as well as to set each release apart from other Macross releases.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that there are fans who pick favorites among the Macross releases, but I find that I'm one of those fans who likes all of it.

Thank you for supporting the official English release of the show. The team over here in Japan really appreciates it :-)

You're welcome! I do hope we get to see more subtitled releases of Macross down the line, old and new. :-)

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Is Japan the only place where the legit Macross Delta disks are licensed?

Are the official Japanese blu-rays region free?

Edited by Primus1X

Japanese Blu-rays will work on US players without issues.

blu-ray-region-codes-map.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2017 at 5:44 PM, Primus1X said:

So they are region A then?

I have watched the blu-rays on my US PS3 and PS4 with no issues. I'm just waiting on disc 9 and I'll be able to finish the series, since I decided not to watch it online (personal choice, not judging) and wanted the box set presence on my shelf.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:10 AM, azrael said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the sentiment. Delta discs are not a priority for me, even with the subs. Frontier discs I actually pre-ordered. Delta? I stopped after volume 2 and haven't really found the opportunity to pick up whatever else has come out. The bad taste this series gave off pretty much defined my buying preference. Eventually I may pick up the rest of the discs, but I'm in no particular rush to do so.

Yeah, it is tragic.  A re-ssue of MF with subs would get my cash faster than the Delta discs unfortunately.  Though I bought the first three so I am committed to owning BD's of this poor series with so much initial potential.

I'll probably eventually get the Delta Discs but maybe just up to the series halfway point (discs 1 - 5?) + maybe the final disc and skip the filler second half of the show.

But yeah, if Frontier TV series was released on Blu-ray with English subs, I'd be all over that.

On 3/13/2017 at 2:13 PM, Zinjo said:

Yeah, it is tragic.  A re-ssue of MF with subs would get my cash faster than the Delta discs unfortunately.  Though I bought the first three so I am committed to owning BD's of this poor series with so much initial potential.

No kidding.  As nice as Macross Delta is, visually, this is the closest I've ever come to considering a Macross purchase a waste of money.  I'd almost considered canceling my preorders at one point.

The second half of Delta is just such an unholy mess of poor planning and crappy writing that I'm less than happy with value-for-money on my preorders.  Even the quality of the liner note booklet contents took a noticeable dive in the show's second half.

So anyone know if we'll get a standard blu-ray/dvd release of the series? The spec eds are too pricey for my wallet (least for a 9 disc set). I'd like to support the official release though the Malaysia bootleg is looking tempting....

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

So anyone know if we'll get a standard blu-ray/dvd release of the series? The spec eds are too pricey for my wallet (least for a 9 disc set). I'd like to support the official release though the Malaysia bootleg is looking tempting....

Erm... not that I'm aware of, at least in the short term.  Mind you, the asking price for the Macross Δ "Special Edition" Blu-rays is only a few bucks more than the average asking price for any given single Blu-ray volume of about $63.50 (US).  The movies average a bit cheaper at around $45 a pop, but all in all these are pretty typical media prices for Japan.  This holds true for all of the Blu-rays, even the ones that are for decades-old shows like the original series or Macross 7, so I wouldn't expect the price to come down much (if at all).

(Also, ixnay on the ootleg-bay... we don't talk about that kind of thing here.)

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Focslain said:

You might as well download them instead of buying bootleg DVDs. The outcome is the same but at least those profiting off pirated goods don't get your money.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Erm... not that I'm aware of, at least in the short term.  Mind you, the asking price for the Macross Δ "Special Edition" Blu-rays is only a few bucks more than the average asking price for any given single Blu-ray volume of about $63.50 (US).  The movies average a bit cheaper at around $45 a pop, but all in all these are pretty typical media prices for Japan.  This holds true for all of the Blu-rays, even the ones that are for decades-old shows like the original series or Macross 7, so I wouldn't expect the price to come down much (if at all).

(Also, ixnay on the ootleg-bay... we don't talk about that kind of thing here.)

Why can't we talk about bootleg media when discussions on bootleg merchandise are allowed? :p

Edited by neoexcaliber
  • Upvote 1

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, neoexcaliber said:

You might as well download them instead of buying bootleg DVDs. The outcome is the same but at least those profiting off pirated goods don't get your money.

I technically already dl'd the entire series months ago. But was hoping to get physical copies like I do with most series I enjoy. Which reminds me I have to look into getting Mac 7 and the frontier movies later.

On 4/25/2017 at 7:06 AM, neoexcaliber said:

Why can't we talk about bootleg media when discussions on bootleg merchandise are allowed? :p

Dunno why there's selective enforcement on that... but the mods seem to come down a lot harder on pirated media than pirated goods.

34 minutes ago, Focslain said:

I technically already dl'd the entire series months ago. But was hoping to get physical copies like I do with most series I enjoy. Which reminds me I have to look into getting Mac 7 and the frontier movies later.

Second verse, same as the first... at least with respect to price.

The movies only run about $45, but even when you're looking at collected Blu-ray box sets like the ones for Macross 7 you can expect to pay almost exactly $63.50 per disc.  Macross 7 was 8 discs, sold as two 4-disc sets for $254 apiece.

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Second verse, same as the first... at least with respect to price.

The movies only run about $45, but even when you're looking at collected Blu-ray box sets like the ones for Macross 7 you can expect to pay almost exactly $63.50 per disc.  Macross 7 was 8 discs, sold as two 4-disc sets for $254 apiece.

Guess I got out of touch on the cost of media, I was used to $80 dvd season collection for US shows. Well time to bite the bullet and re-evaluate my entertainment budget.

Just got volume nr. 9 from Delta and my collection is now complete. It's weird. Delta is the first Macross production that I purchase completely from Japan as the same time as it's being released over there (did the same with the subtlitled Frontier movies and Plus, but those were special releases). Normally I would be all over a new purchase and seeing it twice over. But I left the rewatch at volume 6 and have not moved on there. Will probably be a while before I do. More than anything, I felt it was important to show Big West that there is a market for subtitled Macross releases overseas and hope they continue the practice with the next (and hopefully better) Macross production.

Anyone know if the concert BD released today is subbed?

40 minutes ago, UN Spacy said:

I doubt it, but I'll know for sure on Friday night. :)

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2017 at 6:30 AM, UN Spacy said:

It's not. At least not the first half of the concert.

The credits are in English though. :p

Edited by neoexcaliber