Macross Δ BD/DVD Thread (now with delicious English subs).

UN Spacy

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the sentiment. Delta discs are not a priority for me, even with the subs. Frontier discs I actually pre-ordered. Delta? I stopped after volume 2 and haven't really found the opportunity to pick up whatever else has come out. The bad taste this series gave off pretty much defined my buying preference. Eventually I may pick up the rest of the discs, but I'm in no particular rush to do so.

My impression has been a positive one so far. For me, Delta has high points like Frontier, but it is like we were given a new story in that same universe across the galaxy somewhere and it isn't breaking in a new mould for itself. In my opinion, a good past comparison to liken it to would be Macross Plus to Macross 7.

And with that in mind, I think everyone should try it out on their own for an episode or three before committing to it. But I'm already hooked.

My impression has been a positive one so far. For me, Delta has high points like Frontier, but it is like we were given a new story in that same universe across the galaxy somewhere and it isn't breaking in a new mould for itself. In my opinion, a good past comparison to liken it to would be Macross Plus to Macross 7.

And with that in mind, I think everyone should try it out on their own for an episode or three before committing to it. But I'm already hooked.

It's great until the halfway point, but then goes downhill rapidly from episode # 14 onwards.

I agree, brother! I had lots of fun with this show. The second half was talky, but that's okay. My taste in anime has changed over the years. Besides, I always felt that Walkure was the star of this show anyway.

I agree, brother! I had lots of fun with this show. The second half was talky, but that's okay. My taste in anime has changed over the years. Besides, I always felt that Walkure was the star of this show anyway.

I agree, Delta is less of the usual Macross show with sci-fi elements and an idol or two mixed in, and more of an idol show with some sci-fi elements mixed in. I liked AKB0048, and this seems like that with a very distinctive Macross theme. I was also getting a slight Legend of the Galactic Heroes vibe while watching disc 05. The political intrigue and the massive fleet battles, in particular. I do wish that Delta did more with the everyman soldier like LotGH did, showing them as something more than just cannon fodder. But that is my only criticism, and it is really just an acknowledgement that Macross uses recognizable over-the-top elements by design.

Edited by technoblue

I agree, Delta is less of the usual Macross show with sci-fi elements and an idol or two mixed in, and more of an idol show with some sci-fi elements mixed in. I liked AKB0048, and this seems like that with a very distinctive Macross theme. I was also getting a slight Legend of the Galactic Heroes vibe while watching disc 05. The political intrigue and the massive fleet battles, in particular. I do wish that Delta did more with the everyman soldier like LotGH did, showing them as something more than just cannon fodder. But that is my only criticism, and it is really just an acknowledgement that Macross uses recognizable over-the-top elements by design.

Massive fleet battles? We must have been watching a different show :o

Previous Macross series have always managed to balance the idols, music, mecha, action, love triangle, characters and story. Delta was disappointing in that the mecha, action and character development for most of the characters pretty much disappeared during episodes 14 to 25.

Graham

Thank you for supporting the official English release of the show. The team over here in Japan really appreciates it :-)

Yeah, once Macross had fleet battles with thousands if not millions of ships on either side. THAT'S massive. But that's one aspect of Macross that Kawamori et al. seem to have forgot lately.

Previous Macross series have always managed to balance the idols, music, mecha, action, love triangle, characters and story. Delta was disappointing in that the mecha, action and character development for most of the characters pretty much disappeared during episodes 14 to 25.

Graham

Well I've only watched up to disc 05, which covers up to episode 15. Episodes 14 and 15 are what I am referencing with my massive fleet battles comment (those with the Macross Elysion and N.U.N.S. fleets). I'm waiting on the other discs to finish the show, and can't comment on the later episodes until those arrive (I simply haven't seen them).

And where I agree that Macross does serve up its own unique mix of tropes to draw in an audience, I think the balance of those tropes has changed with each release. The balance of the idols, music, mecha, action, characters and story can change to help set each release of Macross apart from other anime releases as well as to set each release apart from other Macross releases.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that there are fans who pick favorites among the Macross releases, but I find that I'm one of those fans who likes all of it.

Thank you for supporting the official English release of the show. The team over here in Japan really appreciates it :-)

You're welcome! I do hope we get to see more subtitled releases of Macross down the line, old and new. :-)

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2017 at 5:44 PM, Primus1X said:

So they are region A then?

I have watched the blu-rays on my US PS3 and PS4 with no issues. I'm just waiting on disc 9 and I'll be able to finish the series, since I decided not to watch it online (personal choice, not judging) and wanted the box set presence on my shelf.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:10 AM, azrael said:

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with the sentiment. Delta discs are not a priority for me, even with the subs. Frontier discs I actually pre-ordered. Delta? I stopped after volume 2 and haven't really found the opportunity to pick up whatever else has come out. The bad taste this series gave off pretty much defined my buying preference. Eventually I may pick up the rest of the discs, but I'm in no particular rush to do so.

Yeah, it is tragic.  A re-ssue of MF with subs would get my cash faster than the Delta discs unfortunately.  Though I bought the first three so I am committed to owning BD's of this poor series with so much initial potential.

I'll probably eventually get the Delta Discs but maybe just up to the series halfway point (discs 1 - 5?) + maybe the final disc and skip the filler second half of the show.

But yeah, if Frontier TV series was released on Blu-ray with English subs, I'd be all over that.

On 3/13/2017 at 2:13 PM, Zinjo said:

Yeah, it is tragic.  A re-ssue of MF with subs would get my cash faster than the Delta discs unfortunately.  Though I bought the first three so I am committed to owning BD's of this poor series with so much initial potential.

No kidding.  As nice as Macross Delta is, visually, this is the closest I've ever come to considering a Macross purchase a waste of money.  I'd almost considered canceling my preorders at one point.

The second half of Delta is just such an unholy mess of poor planning and crappy writing that I'm less than happy with value-for-money on my preorders.  Even the quality of the liner note booklet contents took a noticeable dive in the show's second half.

• 1 month later...

So anyone know if we'll get a standard blu-ray/dvd release of the series? The spec eds are too pricey for my wallet (least for a 9 disc set). I'd like to support the official release though the Malaysia bootleg is looking tempting....

1 hour ago, Focslain said:

So anyone know if we'll get a standard blu-ray/dvd release of the series? The spec eds are too pricey for my wallet (least for a 9 disc set). I'd like to support the official release though the Malaysia bootleg is looking tempting....

Erm... not that I'm aware of, at least in the short term.  Mind you, the asking price for the Macross Δ "Special Edition" Blu-rays is only a few bucks more than the average asking price for any given single Blu-ray volume of about $63.50 (US).  The movies average a bit cheaper at around $45 a pop, but all in all these are pretty typical media prices for Japan.  This holds true for all of the Blu-rays, even the ones that are for decades-old shows like the original series or Macross 7, so I wouldn't expect the price to come down much (if at all).

(Also, ixnay on the ootleg-bay... we don't talk about that kind of thing here.)

16 hours ago, Focslain said:

You might as well download them instead of buying bootleg DVDs. The outcome is the same but at least those profiting off pirated goods don't get your money.

15 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Erm... not that I'm aware of, at least in the short term.  Mind you, the asking price for the Macross Δ "Special Edition" Blu-rays is only a few bucks more than the average asking price for any given single Blu-ray volume of about $63.50 (US).  The movies average a bit cheaper at around $45 a pop, but all in all these are pretty typical media prices for Japan.  This holds true for all of the Blu-rays, even the ones that are for decades-old shows like the original series or Macross 7, so I wouldn't expect the price to come down much (if at all).

(Also, ixnay on the ootleg-bay... we don't talk about that kind of thing here.)

Why can't we talk about bootleg media when discussions on bootleg merchandise are allowed? :p

Edited by neoexcaliber

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, neoexcaliber said:

You might as well download them instead of buying bootleg DVDs. The outcome is the same but at least those profiting off pirated goods don't get your money.

I technically already dl'd the entire series months ago. But was hoping to get physical copies like I do with most series I enjoy. Which reminds me I have to look into getting Mac 7 and the frontier movies later.

On 4/25/2017 at 7:06 AM, neoexcaliber said:

Why can't we talk about bootleg media when discussions on bootleg merchandise are allowed? :p

Dunno why there's selective enforcement on that... but the mods seem to come down a lot harder on pirated media than pirated goods.

34 minutes ago, Focslain said:

I technically already dl'd the entire series months ago. But was hoping to get physical copies like I do with most series I enjoy. Which reminds me I have to look into getting Mac 7 and the frontier movies later.

Second verse, same as the first... at least with respect to price.

The movies only run about $45, but even when you're looking at collected Blu-ray box sets like the ones for Macross 7 you can expect to pay almost exactly $63.50 per disc.  Macross 7 was 8 discs, sold as two 4-disc sets for $254 apiece.

17 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Second verse, same as the first... at least with respect to price.

The movies only run about $45, but even when you're looking at collected Blu-ray box sets like the ones for Macross 7 you can expect to pay almost exactly $63.50 per disc.  Macross 7 was 8 discs, sold as two 4-disc sets for $254 apiece.

Guess I got out of touch on the cost of media, I was used to $80 dvd season collection for US shows. Well time to bite the bullet and re-evaluate my entertainment budget.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got volume nr. 9 from Delta and my collection is now complete. It's weird. Delta is the first Macross production that I purchase completely from Japan as the same time as it's being released over there (did the same with the subtlitled Frontier movies and Plus, but those were special releases). Normally I would be all over a new purchase and seeing it twice over. But I left the rewatch at volume 6 and have not moved on there. Will probably be a while before I do. More than anything, I felt it was important to show Big West that there is a market for subtitled Macross releases overseas and hope they continue the practice with the next (and hopefully better) Macross production.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So....  I watched finally three episodes of Macross Dullta. That's what I'm calling it. Sorry, This is not Macross. And this is coming from a guy who liked (not loved) Frontier and Macross 7. Sure it had a "love triangle" if you want to call it that. I'd call it high school hair pulling. Sure it has transformable mechs.  Sure it has singing.  Horribly written crap and why do the main male protagonist men in Macross now have to be 15 years old and look like girls?  Come on man...  I know that's what's en vogue with this new liberal generation of gender bending liquid genders. Men that look like women and women that look like men but if you're going to stick to the Macross tropes of love triangles, idols and Valkyries.  Well then where are the real men. The Roy Fokker types?  Ugh. My brain melted. And why is THIS crap the first official Macross disc release with subtitles??  It's just not fair man...

54 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

So....  I watched finally three episodes of Macross Dullta. That's what I'm calling it.

That's a bit childish, isn't it? :unsure:

Sorry, This is not Macross. And this is coming from a guy who liked (not loved) Frontier and Macross 7.

Sure it is.  Sez "Macross" right there in the title.

This is by no means the farthest out into left field Macross has gone.  

Horribly written crap and why do the main male protagonist men in Macross now have to be 15 years old and look like girls?

... erm, would you be terribly cross with me if I pointed out that:

1. The overwhelming majority of Macross protagonists are in their late teens (16-18).  The only exceptions in Macross's animated works are Isamu Dyson (24) and Basara Nekki (21).
  2. The cast of Macross Delta is almost universally older than the cast of Super Dimension Fortress Macross was at the start of their respective series.  Hayate's 17, Mirage is 18, Freyja's 141, Chuck is 24, Messer's 21, Arad's 33, Kaname's 22, Reina's 15, Makina's 18, Mikumo's age is a spoiler so will go unmentioned.  By contrast, at the start of their series Hikaru was 16, Minmay was 15, Misa was 19, Max was 16, Milia was 15, Kakizaki was 17, and Roy was 29.

As far as looking like girls... let's be realistic here.  Stylistically there's never been a ton of distance between male and female designs in anime except where a character has a bad case of gonk, and handsome young men do tend to attract the female audience.  Frontier had a lot of success on the handsome young men front with Alto and Brera, so it's not altogether surprising that Delta moved to expand its foothold on that front with the Aerial Knights.

Well then where are the real men. The Roy Fokker types?  

You do realize that Roy was basically a racist stereotype of Americans, right?

At least in Roy's case it was done as a sort of affectionate parody of Americans, rather than as the backfiring attempt to make an easy-to-hate character as occurred with Gundam's Sleggar Law.

Arad and Chuck are a pretty manly bunch, IMO.  More Arad than Chuck, due to the disparity in their screentime, but Chuck's an unapologetic skirt chaser who literally stays with Xaos during wartime as he hasn't got his leg over a human girl yet, and Arad's the designated Big Brother Mentor of the TV series.  You've also got Keith, if you're up for a more blood knight revenge-y sort of manliness even if he does look like he was abducted from the set of a L'Oreal commercial.  Master Hermann might also qualify, as basically the Roy of the Aerial Knights.  Qasim too, once he gets some development in the second half, as a married man fighting for his family.  IMO, Hayate takes a level or two in manliness later in the series as his MO changes from "I give zero f*cks" to "I can get into this, and this is serious business".

Ugh. My brain melted.

If so, you should probably see a doctor about that.

And why is THIS crap the first official Macross disc release with subtitles??  It's just not fair man...

It isn't.  There was an edition of the Macross Frontier movies that had official English subs.

This is, I guess, the third Macross official release to have English subtitles if you count the movies separately.

1. Freyja is chronologically 14, but as a Windermerean she's got an average life expectancy of 30 so by her species standards (hinted at in the first episode when she talks about the arranged marriage she ran away from) that she's headed into old maid territory as a middle-aged woman.  She's a loli and a cougar at the same time, I guess?  In human terms it's more like she's in her mid-to-late 20's.

Characterizing Keith as 'manly' nicely bucks what seems to be the typical presentation of gay characters in Macross. 

Someone left a comment on one of my reviews asking about Xaos. What was Xaos again? Is that the PMC that Delta Payton is a part of?

16 minutes ago, jenius said:

Characterizing Keith as 'manly' nicely bucks what seems to be the typical presentation of gay characters in Macross. 

Didn't Bobby Margot kind of knock that one out of the park though?  He's such a buffet of manliness that you'd expect he escaped from Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

16 minutes ago, jenius said:

Someone left a comment on one of my reviews asking about Xaos. What was Xaos again? Is that the PMC that Delta Payton is a part of?

Χάος (lit. "Chaos", styled Xaos on subs and in official merch) is an interstellar megacorp to which the protagonists all belong.  The entertainment division owns/operates Walkure as an idol group, and its PMC division operates in support of the local NUNS and provides Delta Flight to Walkure as an escort detail.

57 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

That's a bit childish, isn't it? :unsure:

Sure it is.  Sez "Macross" right there in the title.

This is by no means the farthest out into left field Macross has gone.  

... erm, would you be terribly cross with me if I pointed out that:

1. The overwhelming majority of Macross protagonists are in their late teens (16-18).  The only exceptions in Macross's animated works are Isamu Dyson (24) and Basara Nekki (21).
  2. The cast of Macross Delta is almost universally older than the cast of Super Dimension Fortress Macross was at the start of their respective series.  Hayate's 17, Mirage is 18, Freyja's 141, Chuck is 24, Messer's 21, Arad's 33, Kaname's 22, Reina's 15, Makina's 18, Mikumo's age is a spoiler so will go unmentioned.  By contrast, at the start of their series Hikaru was 16, Minmay was 15, Misa was 19, Max was 16, Milia was 15, Kakizaki was 17, and Roy was 29.

As far as looking like girls... let's be realistic here.  Stylistically there's never been a ton of distance between male and female designs in anime except where a character has a bad case of gonk, and handsome young men do tend to attract the female audience.  Frontier had a lot of success on the handsome young men front with Alto and Brera, so it's not altogether surprising that Delta moved to expand its foothold on that front with the Aerial Knights.

You do realize that Roy was basically a racist stereotype of Americans, right?

At least in Roy's case it was done as a sort of affectionate parody of Americans, rather than as the backfiring attempt to make an easy-to-hate character as occurred with Gundam's Sleggar Law.

Arad and Chuck are a pretty manly bunch, IMO.  More Arad than Chuck, due to the disparity in their screentime, but Chuck's an unapologetic skirt chaser who literally stays with Xaos during wartime as he hasn't got his leg over a human girl yet, and Arad's the designated Big Brother Mentor of the TV series.  You've also got Keith, if you're up for a more blood knight revenge-y sort of manliness even if he does look like he was abducted from the set of a L'Oreal commercial.  Master Hermann might also qualify, as basically the Roy of the Aerial Knights.  Qasim too, once he gets some development in the second half, as a married man fighting for his family.  IMO, Hayate takes a level or two in manliness later in the series as his MO changes from "I give zero f*cks" to "I can get into this, and this is serious business".

If so, you should probably see a doctor about that.

It isn't.  There was an edition of the Macross Frontier movies that had official English subs.

This is, I guess, the third Macross official release to have English subtitles if you count the movies separately.

1. Freyja is chronologically 14, but as a Windermerean she's got an average life expectancy of 30 so by her species standards (hinted at in the first episode when she talks about the arranged marriage she ran away from) that she's headed into old maid territory as a middle-aged woman.  She's a loli and a cougar at the same time, I guess?  In human terms it's more like she's in her mid-to-late 20's.

Ok ok man. You're taking this way too personally and seriously. You've out-nerded me on his one man. Don't even know where to begin. But I take it you are a big Dullta fan. Not going to judge. To each his own. I'm obviously not. Let's just agree to disagree. I'm obviously angry after avoidong watching this series for as long as I have avoided it as I knew what it would be like. And it turned out to be even worse than I had expected. Thank you for the hospital recommendation. I'm sure I don't need to explain the mechanics of hyperbole to you but my brain didn't actually melt. Physically at least. Going back to Roy and the Gaijin stereotypes. How many years ago did Macross air?  THIRTY FIVE YERS AGO (wow time flies) and people STILL love Roy. Post a picture of a Pine Salad with a few droplets of tears next to it and any Macross fan will know it's a Roy reference!  Might even bring a tear to their eye. There isn't one character (except for maybe one of the Idols) that anyone will have that kind of affinity for or even remember the name of 35 years later in (sorry if it's too childish for you but I'm not sorry) DULLTA. Because to me I it was DULL man sorry (again not really sorry).   Well I guess I am if you liked it. I really don't mean to crap on your taste. I just didn't like it and as I said I just recently watched it so I know I'm rather salty. 

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

53 minutes ago, SuperDimensionalDave said:

Ok ok man. You're taking this way too personally and seriously.

Nah, just assumed you genuinely didn't know the things I pointed out.  (I'm kind of an "answer guy" on these boards.)

You seem to be pretty upset by the series as a whole tho... if you've only watched a few episodes, I hope you didn't go all-in on the limited edition blu-rays.  Those are EXPENSIVE.

Still, if you're interested in other works with official subs I'd suggest looking for those Macross Frontier combo pack movie editions.  

You've out-nerded me on his one man. Don't even know where to begin. But I take it you are a big Dullta fan. Not going to judge. To each his own.

Ironically, I'm accused elsewhere of being a grumpy old fart who hates the series because I criticize the show's writing. :lol:

There isn't one character (except for maybe one of the Idols) that anyone will have that kind of affinity for or even remember the name of 35 years later in (sorry if it's too childish for you but I'm not sorry) DULLTA.

Considering the show's popularity in Japan, I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.  The more popular the show, the more likely future works will reference it.  A big part of what's keeping Roy's memory going is references to him in subsequent works, even if he's not actually mentioned by name.  I suspect we'll see quite a few references to Delta in future works, just as Delta and its supporting media are peppered with references to Frontier7, and VF-X2.  (Not counting Berger's historical summary.)  The extras on the Blu-rays only further expand on the number of in-jokes, references, and homages to previous Macross shows too.  (Sadly, the blu-rays didn't subtitle the extra features.)

The idols have obviously dominated the show's fandom because they dominate the show itself, but there's a surprisingly big following for the Aerial Knights of all people.  (Possibly helped by a gaiden manga that actually explores their backstories and motivations in some depth and makes the a LOT more sympathetic than the series did, and that they're very popular with the cosplay crowd.) Messer might also fail to fade, considering in Japan he's quite popular due to the Messer x Kaname shippers thanks to his tragic death (though some western fans, myself included, think he's a prick).

3 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Nah, just assumed you genuinely didn't know the things I pointed out.  (I'm kind of an "answer guy" on these boards.)

You seem to be pretty upset by the series as a whole tho... if you've only watched a few episodes, I hope you didn't go all-in on the limited edition blu-rays.  Those are EXPENSIVE.

Still, if you're interested in other works with official subs I'd suggest looking for those Macross Frontier combo pack movie editions.  

Ironically, I'm accused elsewhere of being a grumpy old fart who hates the series because I criticize the show's writing. :lol:

Considering the show's popularity in Japan, I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.  The more popular the show, the more likely future works will reference it.  A big part of what's keeping Roy's memory going is references to him in subsequent works, even if he's not actually mentioned by name.  I suspect we'll see quite a few references to Delta in future works, just as Delta and its supporting media are peppered with references to Frontier7, and VF-X2.  (Not counting Berger's historical summary.)  The extras on the Blu-rays only further expand on the number of in-jokes, references, and homages to previous Macross shows too.  (Sadly, the blu-rays didn't subtitle the extra features.)

The idols have obviously dominated the show's fandom because they dominate the show itself, but there's a surprisingly big following for the Aerial Knights of all people.  (Possibly helped by a gaiden manga that actually explores their backstories and motivations in some depth and makes the a LOT more sympathetic than the series did, and that they're very popular with the cosplay crowd.) Messer might also fail to fade, considering in Japan he's quite popular due to the Messer x Kaname shippers thanks to his tragic death (though some western fans, myself included, think he's a prick).

You know you are right. I am very angry about this series. I haven't spent a dime on it either. Nor shall I. All online. Yeah you are definitely an answer guy I'll admit your knowledge of this show and Macross as a whole exceeds mine. I'm just very... angry. Despite my low expectations of this show it came in far BELOW them. And they were already sub-basement level!!!  Although I've only watched (now 4) episodes from what if seen and now read about it online I'm done. Throwing in the towel.   Seen enough. I skipped all the way to the last episode and watched that. Granted I didn't know much of what was going on but I can tell that I also don't have any interest in finding out beyond what I read online. I had low expectations of Frontier just due to character art, bios and plot outline but I'll admit it exceeded them greatly.  Not a favorite but It had an interesting story tied in well to larger mythos and I loved Ozma (go figure, the Marlboro man stereotype lol). Hell I even liked Bobby (He was gay and STILL a bigger badass than anything I've seen in the little I watched of Dullta). Still no use for Alto though. This Dullta though. No sir El Paso Texas man. Sorry if I came off a bit rude. Going back and reading through your replies I can see where you were coming from.  Couplenthat with the fact that I know where I'm coming from. It's a place of bitter anger and disappointment lol. I'm 45 and it's just that Macross holds a dear place in my heart. From my high school days of rushing home to watch Robotech to discovering that Robotech was actually three even more amazing shows that had been bastardized. That led me to discovering anime as a whole (Gall force, Urotsukidoji lol, Votoms, Layzner, the Lovely Angels...) and it was all downhill from there. I'm now 25 years in to my massive anime/Sci-Fi and horror collection that legitimately could fill my entire house (if my Wife wouldn't divorce me) and I owe it all to Macross really if I really trace it all back. Well Macross for Anime and John Carpenters and Sam Raimi's classics for horror. Dullta really hurt me like on a personal level I guess lol.  Oh I forgot to mention my love of Klan Klein or Klein Klan (never get it right), she alone could make me rewatch Frontier over and over.  She was a great idea.  See I'm cheering up already thinking positively about all the good stuff Macross has to offer.  Think I'll bust out my DYRL Bluray tonight.  That will help unchap my a**.

Edited by SuperDimensionalDave

• 2 months later...
On 12/3/2016 at 9:40 AM, technoblue said:

The best comparison is Mac Delta to Mac7.  The sad part is, apart from the animation quality, Mac 7 is better, warts and all (can't believe I just wrote that, I think I need a drink!).  I am cautiously hopeful the movie will be a better telling of the story.

Edited by Zinjo