Macross Δ BD/DVD Thread (now with delicious English subs).

UN Spacy

Ok thanks guys, I guess I'll see what I think of this new series. Kind of an expensive test...

Chris

Mm. No argument there.

Without going into spoiler mode, there are some comparisons to other series--AKB0048, Macross II, and Macross 7 being the most frequent comparisons. One thing I can say is that the new series is NOT like Macross Frontier. Fans who were expecting more of a Frontier-style story have been disappointed the most, it seems.

Uh oh...:(

Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to shift my expectations. I really liked Frontier and wasn't a fan of 7. I was just really digging the Mech designs so I figured I'll give it a shot. Maybe the better animation will help me since 7's was a bit lacking at times IMO.

Chris

It's not a bad show... but it suffers from a lack of foresight in writing because the plot was developed for 13 episodes and a movie... but then changed to 26 episodes.. so the plot for the movie that was to conclude the story had to be stretched into 13 episodes... and in many ways... they didn't stretch it very well.

That all being said.. put together it has a lot of great stuff in it, and likely, being watched straight through without weekly pauses (aka on binge) likely will make it look better since you don't have to wait as much.

It's not a bad show... but it suffers from a lack of foresight in writing because the plot was developed for 13 episodes and a movie... but then changed to 26 episodes.. so the plot for the movie that was to conclude the story had to be stretched into 13 episodes... and in many ways... they didn't stretch it very well.

That's not exactly how it went.

Here's some recommended reading.

https://gubabablog.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/no-delta-was-not-extended-after-epsiode-3-aired/

That's not exactly how it went.

Here's some recommended reading.

https://gubabablog.wordpress.com/2016/09/18/no-delta-was-not-extended-after-epsiode-3-aired/

Thank you for that, I honestly didn't know. That's what happens when you go by word of mouth however.

Sadly.. that pretty much means that the writers just stopped giving a crap when they started writing the second cour. Or something happened anyway. I mean, it is definitely a difference in the second cour being less well managed than the first in any case. It is probably something that comes down to gritty details and we may never know entirely what happened.

This is the first Macross series released in Japan that gets subs as soon as it comes out. As such and as a fan I of the entire franchise, I will support it by buying the entire run of Delta. But I must confess that many years will probably pass before I try watching past episodes14,15.

Gubaba's scoop on what happened with the script actually makes me feel worse. At least if changes had been made during the broadcast run of the series, it would have been understandable that producing a quality script on such short notice is almost mission impossible. Now there's not even that excuse.

This is the first Macross series released in Japan that gets subs as soon as it comes out. As such and as a fan I of the entire franchise, I will support it by buying the entire run of Delta. But I must confess that many years will probably pass before I try watching past episodes14,15.

Gubaba's scoop on what happened with the script actually makes me feel worse. At least if changes had been made during the broadcast run of the series, it would have been understandable that producing a quality script on such short notice is almost mission impossible. Now there's not even that excuse.

Yeah,

As much as it irks me to pay for a substandard effort, I also feel the need to support / reward good behavior on the part of Big West and Bandai Visual with their effort to put English subtitles on the BD's.

Edited by Zinjo

I gather there will be a no frills release later on at some point. A single release box set has already been announced containing all 9 volumes, and a few members are waiting for that to hit in December.

If a disc only release is made available, I wouldn't be surprised to see it sometime next year, giving access to the show to those who are extra patient or on a very strict budget.

The individual releases all look so good (especially the limited edition box that holds the first 3 volumes)... but I'm considering holding out for the box set. Where was the box set officially announced? I wonder if the box set would have all the extra non disc content (artwork, booklets, etc) that the individual sets have.

I was thinking the complete box set was the Bandai Visual Club release with the 1/72 VF-31J bonus. But now that I look at the page again, I don't know if it is a special single box release or an up-front payment for the three limited-edition boxes with BVC's included bonus.

Someone else with more info will have to clarify that point.

The individual releases all look so good (especially the limited edition box that holds the first 3 volumes)... but I'm considering holding out for the box set. Where was the box set officially announced? I wonder if the box set would have all the extra non disc content (artwork, booklets, etc) that the individual sets have.

There is no box set being planned as of now. Frontier's box set came 5+ years after the original DVDs and Blurays were individually all released. There probably will be a complete box set at some point, but there is no guarantee the English sub will be reused.

There is no box set being planned as of now. Frontier's box set came 5+ years after the original DVDs and Blurays were individually all released. There probably will be a complete box set at some point, but there is no guarantee the English sub will be reused.

Thanks for the info... I guess I'll be going with the individual releases then.

Blue-rays 2 & 3 just dropped on my doorstep, I know how my afternoon will be spent now!

Disc 3 had a "2nd Live" sticker on the packaging, and both had Bandai Visual Club codes enclosed, are either of those good for anything promotional?

Just got my 3 Blu-rays plus CD yesterday, and watched all three volumes. The first vol. came in a box set to put two more Blu-ray discs in and booklets. The translations were spot on correct, for example; and this also happened of Frontier fansubs. The name Reaction engines was used and not Reflex Engines. Apperently the first 8 episodes I saw on Watchcartoons online were subbed by a guy who watched too much R@*@(#tech who could not tell the difference between the two. The term Reflex came from Mospeada, i.e: Reflex Point which came from that show which was used in the R word show for all three shows. But enough of that here are some screen shot as proof of what I got o n my new TV.

post-269-0-34052900-1475634684_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-30248300-1475634687_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-06145000-1475634690_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-07804100-1475634693_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-06385000-1475634696_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-25967100-1475634702_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-28936500-1475634707_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-29715700-1475634710_thumb.jpg

post-269-0-36647200-1475634713_thumb.jpg

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

The subs are really good, though I think some adaptations have been made. For example, "Heinz-sama" got subbed as "your Highness" every time they said it.

Episode 7's subs were hilarious with cat puns everywhere, were those jokes in the original Japanese dialog or were they additions?

The subs are really good, though I think some adaptations have been made. For example, "Heinz-sama" got subbed as "your Highness" every time they said it.

"Lord Heinz", "Prince Heinz", "King Ketchup", "My Lord", ... Any of those is fine. As long as they address the nobility appropriately.

Episode 7's subs were hilarious with cat puns everywhere, were those jokes in the original Japanese dialog or were they additions?

Those were in the actual dialog.

The name Reaction engines was used and not Reflex Engines. Apperently the first 8 episodes I saw on Watchcartoons online were subbed by a guy who watched too much R@*@(#tech who could not tell the difference between the two.

I am almost certain that he knew the difference. And that he knew enough about the franchise to know that saying "reflex" would get people up in arms, too.

In short, he was trolling.

• 2 weeks later...

So finally got in here...

Nice to see the JP release is getting English subs, getting this series when it's complete and hopefully in one box.

I have to ask though, for those that have the official subs, is the name of the glass wearing villain Llyod or Roid? I watched the kissanime subs and this just seemed wrong.

So finally got in here...

Nice to see the JP release is getting English subs, getting this series when it's complete and hopefully in one box.

I have to ask though, for those that have the official subs, is the name of the glass wearing villain Llyod or Roid? I watched the kissanime subs and this just seemed wrong.

The bio on the official website uses "Roid".

That's what I was thinking, but if the sub-titles for the dvd release have it as Roid, then well.. *shrugs*

Speaking of the dvd releases, anyone know when the series will be fully released. I'm fine with getting volumes, but like to order this in one shot.

That's what I was thinking, but if the sub-titles for the dvd release have it as Roid, then well.. *shrugs*

Speaking of the dvd releases, anyone know when the series will be fully released. I'm fine with getting volumes, but like to order this in one shot.

I'm in the same boat... but also dreading the cost which might make buying individually the better option, particularly if some can be found on sale.

• 3 weeks later...

So I figure before I start reviewing Delta toys I should watch the series and familiarize myself with the mecha a bit more. Any word on the most efficient/cost effective way of getting the whole series? I see there are knock-off DVDs on eBay but I'd like to do something more legit but I'd also not like to open the vault for something that seemed to be flatly rejected by this board.

So I figure before I start reviewing Delta toys I should watch the series and familiarize myself with the mecha a bit more. Any word on the most efficient/cost effective way of getting the whole series? I see there are knock-off DVDs on eBay but I'd like to do something more legit but I'd also not like to open the vault for something that seemed to be flatly rejected by this board.

Unfortunately there is no other "legit" way to watch the series other than buying the official blu ray/dvd releases which IMO aren't worth it even with the english subs. The series is simply not good enough to warrant spending that kind of money. If the Frontier release were subtitled, i'd buy those. But not Delta.

Yeah, Frontier was such an awesome show in my opinion, exactly how a Macross TV series should be. I just recently re-watched it to help get over my disappointment about how badly the second half of Delta turned out.

The only single negative thing I have to say about Frontier was that the character animation quality was a bit dodgy in a few episodes where they farmed out the animation to obviously tier 3 SEA animation studios.

I have the Bandai Frontier DVDs, but if they came with English subs on Blu-ray, I'd definitely re-buy the whole series.

Delta, I bought the first disk, with the initial intention to by the rest, but honestly, I just can't justify buying the whole series given how much it jumped the shark after episode 13. I may eventually buy up to episode 13, but it's no longer such a priority.