Macross Δ BD/DVD Thread (now with delicious English subs).

UN Spacy

This really should have it's own thread.

There are NINE volumes coming with the first out on July 22nd.

YES...they WILL have English subtitles which is a first for a Macross tv series. :)

You can easily purchase them from Amazon Japan, CD Japan, AmiAmi, etc.

post-31-0-72916500-1466790374_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-99379900-1466790380_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-06033400-1466790385_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-42567500-1466790391_thumb.jpg

post-31-0-71758700-1466790395_thumb.jpg

if they're releasing with English subs, then I'll hold-out for the complete box-set...

import duties on Anime into Canada are ridiculous..

there aren't any in my City anymore, but when we DID have a store that stocked anime, single-discs with 4 episodes were treated EXACTLY the same by customs/CRTC as full-blown movies; 1 Vol of 'Full Metal Alchemist' was $60, but the complete series-set was $99... I love my country, but sometimes I hate living in it!

if they're releasing with English subs, then I'll hold-out for the complete box-set...

import duties on Anime into Canada are ridiculous..

there aren't any in my City anymore, but when we DID have a store that stocked anime, single-discs with 4 episodes were treated EXACTLY the same by customs/CRTC as full-blown movies; 1 Vol of 'Full Metal Alchemist' was $60, but the complete series-set was $99... I love my country, but sometimes I hate living in it!

That sounds really strange. Here, I pay 25% VAT on anything I haven't managed to finagle a checked "gift" box on the label, payable on delivery (I.e. I go to the supermarket to pick my thing up, pay the VAT at the counter, and get my box.). HLJ notoriously does not check the "gift" box, so their stuff always costs 25% more than what they say; but many of the smaller hobby shops that sell through amazon always check the gift box.

It's just getting kind of difficult to figure out which of the hobby shops are really offering free shipping through amazon, because some of them will say free shipping when you start the order, and then when it's time for the final check if you really want to place the order - literally the final screen - they'll hit you with a huge "shipping and handling" charge. Then you just have to back all the way back out again and try a different store. At least with HLJ, you pay what they say up front you'll pay - to them, at least.

I just wish it was easier to spot that kind of stuff ahead of time.

I am also likely to buy this show since it will have official subs (not that I am not collecting fansubs until then), but this whole release 3 episodes in 9 volumes at a time for a rather high price thing makes me prefer to just wait for a series box set as well. Much easier.

I am anxiously awaiting the first volume, and (like the Frontier movies) will buy the entire set. It's a small way to vote with my wallet for the future of Macross, and it doesn't hurt that the set is gonna be gorgeous.

Now the only tough call is do I order multiple volumes at once to save on shipping, or individually so I get new eps every month? I've only watched the first 2 online and am holding out for the blue-rays for further episodes (though I do listen to the spoiler-cast... may stop that too at some point).

That sounds really strange.

Welcome to Canuckistan lol

the argument/explanation from the CRTC [at least back in the young days of the millennium] was that trade tariffs were high on anime because there's a domestic animation industry that must be protected [and the moment anyone in Canada makes a good anime, I'll buy that explanation]. I haven't tried to purchase any anime from a brick-and-mortar store for years now... so I'm not sure if they've come to their senses or not.

Thankfully when it comes to model kits/collectibles I don't have to worry about customs because those industries just don't exist domestically, so customs doesn't seem to care...

Welcome to Canuckistan lol

the argument/explanation from the CRTC [at least back in the young days of the millennium] was that trade tariffs were high on anime because there's a domestic animation industry that must be protected [and the moment anyone in Canada makes a good anime, I'll buy that explanation]. I haven't tried to purchase any anime from a brick-and-mortar store for years now... so I'm not sure if they've come to their senses or not.

Thankfully when it comes to model kits/collectibles I don't have to worry about customs because those industries just don't exist domestically, so customs doesn't seem to care...

I'm not too sure about that. My last few HLJ orders have been hit with high custom fees. It's basically cancelling out any savings from using the private warehouse. If this keeps up i'll be forced to order from N-Y (Gasp). At least they mark my packages as gifts.

I'm not too sure about that. My last few HLJ orders have been hit with high custom fees. It's basically cancelling out any savings from using the private warehouse. If this keeps up i'll be forced to order from N-Y (Gasp). At least they mark my packages as gifts.

well, now that I've jinxed myself, we'll see if my incoming order gets tagged by the fuzz...

it's less than $100 value though, so I don't think it will [they haven't yet *knocks on wood*]

... now that I think about it, as long as Purolator [or UPS] doesn't get to hold my stuff for ransom I haven't had a problem... as long as I don't get something shipped via UPS to Canada I haven't had any unexpected issues/costs... the USPS/Canada Post combo might be slow-ish, but my stuff always arrives within the delivery window and doesn't cost half-again to get it over the border.

Edited by slide

I ordered the first one from AmiAmi and I'm waiting to see how they (AmiAmi) perform before preordering the others. CD Japan has served me very well in the past, but they simply cannot compete pricewise with AmiAmi. Amazon has the inconvenience that they charge the tax and vat upfront which cancels out their low price. Every now and again I can lucky with other providers in not paying tax.

Can anyone here tell me what the difference is between the two versions being sold on Amazon.jp?

I see and $84 version here

And then there's a cheaper $61 versions here

Both seem to come with the same materials (content and packaging), but I can only understand what Google translate tells me and I don't know what the difference is.

Thanks!

Can anyone here tell me what the difference is between the two versions being sold on Amazon.jp?

I see and $84 version here

And then there's a cheaper $61 versions here

Both seem to come with the same materials (content and packaging), but I can only understand what Google translate tells me and I don't know what the difference is.

Thanks!

The more-expensive one comes with an illustration book.

I thought if you're going thru Amazon the special bonus was the A4 sized art work. What is this artbook azrael's talking about?

The box is only big enough to hold 3 volumes.

■ Blu-ray whole volume purchase bonus
☆ new illustrations drawn use A4 special frame
[ Illustration ] character : Hayate , Freya , Mirage
Yoshikumo , Kaname , Makina , Reina
※ Illustration will be rough

Looks like the Amazon bonus won't be available to those outside of Japan.

■Product Description
Macross Delta's limited product is available at Amazon.co.jp!
As a special limited bonus only available on Amazon, the product comes with a serial code for an newly-illustrated A4-size special frame, which is available when you purchase all the volume.

[How to receive the bonus]
-Must purchase all volumes that come with serial codes on Amazon.co.jp.

[important notice about receiving the bonus]
-You must live in Japan to receive the bonus.
-This campaign, "Receive a special bonus when you purchase all the volumes that come with serial codes," is only available when you purchase all the Blu-ray or DVD volumes. If your purchase is a mix of DVDs and Blu-rays, you won't be eligible for the campaign.

Please refer to this website: http://www.macross.jp/delta/bluraydvd/

Each retailer (Amazon, Animate, Gamers, Sofmap, Bandai Visual Club & Premium Bandai Branch, Family Mart, etc) will have their own bonus item.

post-31-0-70081200-1467520949_thumb.png

Edited by UN Spacy

I thought if you're going thru Amazon the special bonus was the A4 sized art work. What is this artbook azrael's talking about?

Ooops. For some reason, I read it as "artwork" but "artbook" kept popping in my head.

So, if the artwork isn't going to be shipped outside of Japan anyways then the $60 version is the one to go with? Just wanna make sure before I commit =)

Yes. The $60 version you linked to above will get you everything but the bonus artwork.

I'm actually hoping HG does try to stop it. Maybe it will force the Japanese to defend their stake and finally kill this HG bs. Now that they see there is money to be had with Macross perhaps they will be willing to fight for it.

They already are well aware how popular it is here and that there is money to make. The problem is HG wants that money more and doesn't want anyone else benefiting. Really at this point after all this time the entire thing has really just devolved into a pissing match. The two sides aren't even worried about the why anymore.

Well what i was saying is Delta is proving to be more popular than they thought. Before they didn't think it was worth going the legal fees to go after that money. But there is going to be a point where this will be worth settling this in the courts.

• 2 weeks later...