1/72 VF-1EX Valkyrie "Macross Delta" by Hasegawa

slide

Did Hasegawa ever do anything to correct the massive engine droop on their 1/72 VF-1 mold? I know the 1/48 doesn't do it, and I've seen people mod the 1/72s to fix it, but I haven't looked at those kits in a long time.

No corrections for the 1/72 engine connector peices. Not in any of the ones in my stash anyway

I wonder how difficult it would be to cast a replacement/corrected part...

On mine, I put the legs together as normal, but only used a little dot of glue to hold the leg insert. After attaching the intake to the fuselage, I slid on the lower leg and rotated it upward until it just made contact with the back plate.

Then I slid it off, added some glue on the insert & a dab of glue on the back plate.

Simpler, with the desired effect. My work probably wasn't as straight as that guy's in the magazine, but would have been worse using that technique.

Edited by Kelsain

I've built 2 so far forgetting to fix the legs until it was too late! Luckily one of them is in the Hallway museum display so will never been viewed from side on! Unfortunately the other is a 1D on the carrier deck display and its SO F-ing obvious! Cant fix that one without ripping the engine lighting wires out.

Edited by NZEOD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's out. HLJ hasn't sent a payment request for mine yet though....

Pics of the trees and manual up on Hobby Search

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10396131/10/0

I assumed we'd be getting a whole new resin cockpit tub, but it seems the resin part ride on top of the old tub. No new trees/parts aside form the two resin chunks. Oh well, should still be fun building best OTP.

EDIT: thank god the black pinstripe decal is separate

Edited by TMBounty_Hunter

Hmmm can you buy frames from Bandai as replacement parts like you can for Hasegawa? If so, couldnt we use the replacement frames with the pilots from our VF-31s then?

The Bandai pilots are just the upper halves; the lower halves are molded into the cockpit. (Unless you're talking about something else...?)

I'm hoping I can use the lower torso and legs off the Hasegawa or Fujima pilot and crew kits. Full legs arent needed as you cant see up under the console.

The Bandai pilots are just the upper halves; the lower halves are molded into the cockpit. (Unless you're talking about something else...?)

Yeah, that's true. But the proportions are way off too. The VF-25 kits proportionally, were just too small. Things like the arms, bodies and heads just didn't scale well to Hasegawa 1/72 pilots.

I'm hoping the VF-31 (and SV-262) kits have fixed that but it wouldn't surprise me if they're the same size.

Edited by mickyg

It's kind of a multi-layered problem, because Bandai also doesn't really seem to understand how pilots fit into cockpits, or how tightly all the components of an aircraft are actually crammed into the fuselage. Really, the plastic is far too thick everywhere. With the transforming kits? I really think it's just the way they're engineered with so many layered panels for structural integrity prioritized over any cockpit detail.

Really though, Bandai has no consistency in this regard across any of their kit lines that I've seen. Oddities in ship scales not withstanding, their Star Wars kits have absolutely beautifully molded cockpits and pilots. But then I went to put together one of their Cosmo Zero kits from Yamato 2199, and while the pilot looks nicely molded, the cockpit itself feels like it's far too deep in the fuselage, and the pilot can't even see out the canopy.

Bandai absolutely knows how to manufacture incredibly molded and detailed kits, it just seems like the engineers designing them vary widely in how they approach things, and what details they focus on.

Edited by Chronocidal

Description says pilot is from another kit

from one of the Hasegawa VF-25's I'd wager

• 3 months later...