Same-sex triangles in Macross

Gerli

Same-sex resolution for love triangles in Macross. What do you think?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What's your opinion about same-sex triangles in the Macross Universe?

• It's a cool idea!
    • I like the traditional triangles
    • I only watch Macross for the robots/music

This could be a neat conversation but too political. I would think if humanity were brought to the brink of extinction there'd be like nationalistic homophobia. It would be seen as a human duty to reproduce. Then again, maybe cloning tech would offset that. Maybe cloning would be seen as alien though and there might even be anti clone groups.

I think there are those viewers who would love a Male > Male < Female triangle with the guy and the girl fighting over the same guy, personally I would love to see that that but instead they're fighting over the same girl. Would be pretty funny to watch.

Edited by ManhattanProject972

With the human race being so widespread across the galaxy I don't get the feeling that extinction is considered much of a problem anymore.

I'd love to see a love triangle where the lead (male or female) finds themselves drawn to both a man and a woman, but that's just me. ;)

I have no problem with the idea of Macross having a same-sex couple kicking around the plot... but I'd rather they didn't make a big to-do about it if and when they finally do. There are few things as calculated to cause irritation as a show doing something like that and then crowing "Ooo look how progressive we are!".

Well, I'd ordinarily say it would be Bogue and the evil twin brothers, but that's unlikely given Bogue x Herman, that seems more natural.... ha ha ha ha

Oh I know, how about Hayate, Bogue, and the Garfield umineko... I admit, the interspecies part might be a little challenging, but they could just cook up Garfield into Umineko-man afterwards. Roppongi style.

Edited by kalvasflam

I have no problem with the idea of Macross having a same-sex couple kicking around the plot... but I'd rather they didn't make a big to-do about it if and when they finally do.

Isn't that apparently going on? MakiReina together and nobody makes an issue out of it.

Isn't that apparently going on? MakiReina together and nobody makes an issue out of it.

Well, it certainly seems to be going on... but it's about the only characterization either Makina or Reina has had, bordering on being the only dialogue they've had, so I'm not sure that'd count as being low-key. It's pretty obvious they're doing it for fanservice purposes.

When they do it anime it is usually for humor or fan service. Frontier was filled with characters to tease the fans. Look at all the official and unofficial art work of Ranka & Sheryl or Alto & Michael together cheek to cheek and holding hands. I'm not sure if they'll ever have a serious same sex couple in Macross. If they were a couple Vrlitwhai and Exseldor would have been the most grown up and least fan service version of one.

If they were a couple Vrlitwhai and Exseldor would have been the most grown up and least fan service version of one.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! awesome...

People love who they love, write it well and throw in some transforming-fighter-plane battles and I'm in :D

I thought politics was a no no on this site. It can't be disputed that this is one of the hottest political topics right now. I just don't see how this gets to stay based on this being just about macross and not weaving politics into it. If it does stay, I think it would be way too subjective to shut down other topics by saying their political and this is not. I don't think us as mutual fans should have polls to polorize ourselves into polls based on ideology, its just not what this site is for or ever has been. The existence of a poll like this should be on the news but not here. I can see the news polling if same sex should make it into Saturday cartoons but not here. Lay those passions aside and keep this site as one pure place we can all go and get away from politics.

It's an idea Macross has been toying with for a while now, and while I don't think Kawamori will ever just outright make it so, I do think it's worth straying from the "two people fighting over the third" trope. It seems he shares this sentiment/desire as well, with one of his ideas for Delta being to not have romantic entanglements at all. And while I think they will be making the triangle A Thing That Happens, I also feel that it's going to be (and indeed has been) not nearly as strong as previous triangles. You can feel his resistance to the idea in how the characters play out with each other; there's less romantic tension and more camaraderie.

But mostly I just think it's uninteresting when two members of the triangle don't share much aside from their mutual interest in the third. Part of what made the "triangle" in Zero so unspectacular was that Mao and Sara shared almost nothing except for their supposed interest in Shin. I mean, they're sisters too, I guess, but nothing comes of it; there's no intersection of their sisterhood and their romantic competition. SDF had sort of the same problem (you can't really imagine Misa and Minmei sharing a hobby or something), but it had the individual characterization to make up for it. Frontier and Plus do their triangles the best, and in different ways, but both of them treat all three characters as wholes unto themselves and not just The Competition.

I said this before, but a Kaname/Arad/Messer triangle could have been great, especially since it's one where everyone harbors an attraction, romantic and/or otherwise, to everyone else, and the possibility of romance isn't ruled out for anyone with anyone else: Arad and Messer clearly have a strong comrade-in-arms thing going on, which might or might not be more as well; Kaname and Arad work well together and it's already been noted that she has an eye for him; and Kaname and Messer play out a bit (but not too much, importantly) like the "redeemer" and the "sinner," respectively. In fact, I'm realizing it's similar in many ways to the Bruce Wayne/Rachel Dawes/Harvey Dent triangle in the Nolan Batman movies. Perhaps Messer HAD to die for the sake of the story. He and Arad and Kaname are Delta's Mercutio; their triangle had to be killed or else they would have killed the show.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Same-sex triangles? Sure. It's a neat idea, at least, but neat ideas don't necessarily translate to good execution, so... eh. I don't think Kawamori would be able to pull it off well, at any rate. He and Macross are too entrenched in the anime mainstream, as it were; there's too much cliche and trope they have to stick to.

Some people think it is...

As for me, I'd love to see an all-woman triangle!!

I'd like to see a Knights of Sidonia situation where there is a species that can change sex. Have an androgynous character in the triangle.

Sexuality is not a political issue.

Really? Why is it a hot topic now regarding the north Carolina law about unisex bathrooms, gay marriage is now in the supreme court. Saying sexuality isn't a political issue jut doesn't hold water.

We are advertising how many macross members as a Percentage disagree about open gay relationships in the series, sounds and looks like the polls for supporting same sex bathrooms. If this debate and poll made it to the national media, It would be viewed and rightfully so as a political ideology poll.

Edited by Omnichannel

Really? Why is it a hot topic now regarding the north Carolina law about unisex bathrooms, gay marriage is now in the supreme court. Saying sexuality isn't a political issue jut doesn't hold water.

We are advertising how many macross members as a Percentage disagree about open gay relationships in the series, sounds and looks like the polls for supporting same sex bathrooms. If this debate and poll made it to the national media, It would be viewed and rightfully so as a political ideology poll.

I'll rephrase: it's frankly disgusting that sexuality has been made into a political issue. I've likely said much more than should be on this forum, so I will say no more. I made my vote, and I'd suggest everyone involved stay on topic.

I agree and that's why this kind of topics shouldn't be on here. Staying on topic means staying on a hot political issue right now. Don't shoot the messenger folks, it is what it is and the site should remain consistent. This poll defines members as right and left right down the ideology line and its not right.

Edited by Omnichannel

Yes please everyone stay on topic.

Something doesn't become political until somebody makes it. Please don't make it political by saying it is - Which you are doing.

There is some valid point to this topic. Macross had a few non-straight characters before. Delta has our first couple. It does seem they're pandering to fan service with them. This topic is asking if people think Macross is ready for a same sex love-triangle. I might call this a political topic if wasn't for the fact that Delta has supporting characters in what looks like a same sex relationship. It is something that the show itself has bought up. We talk about the show here. If a show brings up a sensitive topic we can carefully talk about it as it relates to the show. If some people can't be mature about it or attempt to make it a bigger issue beyond the show itself then it become something that we have to stop.

I agree and that's why this kind of topics shouldn't be on here. Staying on topic means staying on a hot political issue right now. Don't shoot the messenger folks, it is what it is and the site should remain consistent. This poll defines members as right and left right down the ideology line and its not right.

Oh, yeah. I had forgotten why I stopped going to message boards. Because there was always someone who had to tell me my very existence was "politics."

Geril, thanks for creating a thread that made me feel welcome and included for at least 27 hours. Omnichannel, thanks for the wake up call.

I'll add my $.02. I don't mind there being same sex couples in the show. I welcome positive portrayals of people that care about each other, sexually or not. They will help me explain to my kids why it's ok that not all people are the same.

My opinions might be a tad different on many things Macross as well. I take more exception to thinks like heads exploding in DYRL or the weird drugging, near assault of Mylene in Dynamite 7 movie.

I was very disappointed in the latter as it's just a straight up fallacy. Most assaults aren't by someone of same sex or by women. Then again, seeing Mylene put into the position of a sex object on many occasions through the series was disappointing over all.

Anyways, as long as a relationship is not just "fan service", but actually makes for a good story, than I'm all for it.

I'll add my $.02. I don't mind there being same sex couples in the show. I welcome positive portrayals of people that care about each other, sexually or not. They will help me explain to my kids why it's ok that not all people are the same.

My opinions might be a tad different on many things Macross as well. I take more exception to thinks like heads exploding in DYRL or the weird drugging, near assault of Mylene in Dynamite 7 movie.

I was very disappointed in the latter as it's just a straight up fallacy. Most assaults aren't by someone of same sex or by women. Then again, seeing Mylene put into the position of a sex object on many occasions through the series was disappointing over all.

Anyways, as long as a relationship is not just "fan service", but actually makes for a good story, than I'm all for it.

I do remember feeling that Mylene drugging episode was out of place but at the same time, I think the idea was to try to reinforce that the folks in these shows really are true idols. In real life idols are generally young and likely face all sorts of perils with adults trying to use them for their own gain (be that monetary or otherwise). I think it was very poorly handled in Mac7 but that's my reasoning for why they did it.

Also, this is a political thread. Sexuality is not political but the question isn't "Is it okay for people to be gay?" The question is, should a Macross series feature a homosexual love triangle at its core? You can say "Sure, there's nothing wrong with that" but what if you were to say instead, "No, I want Macross to have as broad appeal as possible and I think a homosexual love triangle would turn off the red states and red countries." I mean, that's political right? So basically this is a political thread as soon as someone says "no." .

Edited by jenius