Mission 11: Jellyfish Reminiscences  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (Messer <3 Kaname #sadface #theonethatgotaway)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (A trip down memory lane? He's gone. Get over it. #onelastbuzzkill)

JtRRqcS.jpg

Protoculture ship! I wonder what is the size of it.

9hF1WyA.jpg

This is so silly. Looks like stuff from getter robot or mazinger-z.

I approve. Who's to say there isn't a set of giant robots laying around some island on Ragna? Xaos could use some Z alloy around the cockpits. Edited by Mazinger

I approve. Who's to say there isn't a set of giant robots laying around some island on Ragna? Xaos could use some Z alloy around the cockpits.

So far, it seems like a better than even chance that any given planet's ancient Protoculture ruins are going to contain something utterly malevolent or incredibly destructive.

Lux's ruins were entirely benign, containing only a holographic computer that liked to sermonize about the Protoculture's mistakes. The possible ruins on Earth's Mayan island contained a Birdman that'd been programmed to destroy humanity in the event that we discovered space travel before solving our internal differences. The ones in the Varauta system were a case of "sealed evil in a can", and contained the Protodeviln. The ones on Uroboros looked benign, but were parts of an enormously complex safeguard preventing the activation of an Evil-series bio-weapon capable of altering history. Windermere's ruins included a mostly-intact ancient Protoculture ship of some description... which is probably incredibly OP even if it's not a dedicated warship... and it's anyone's guess what the other Brisingr cluster ruins are for, but so far it's nothing good.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

... the maintenance team found Messer's flight logbook, and it's full of nothing but nitpicking his fellow pilots to death, just in case we needed to be reminded he was an unlikable prick. "Oh no, he stayed up all night pointing out all of our faults in a report he didn't think we'd ever read! He really cared!" Baloney.

Agreed completely.

It's Macross following tropes again - the overbearing character's nitpicking is revealed to be his/her form of showing affection - and it's as unbelievable here as it is anywhere else it's used to such melodramatic effect.

Otherwise it, along with the last episode, is neither good nor bad. Still loving the subtleties of the Kaname/Arad/Messer triangle/characters, but at this point it's definitely more that I'm reading into the triangle than it doing anything of its own. The creators really did not know the potential they had in this trio. Everything else is running on tropes and convention, which is fine by me if it means they'll keep the story focused on these three (now two). Not expecting Plus levels of greatness from this show is letting me enjoy it for what it is.

Info dump (1st 1/2) and feels (2nd 1/2) episode. Now we understand why the ruins on the other planets are important and why Windemere wants to control them, based on what CHAOs has figured out. Of course, Windemere might have much bigger plans for the ruins.

Hah.... looks like Alpha and Beta guys aren't close to the Delta guys at all. At the "sendoff", though probably only a Delta squadron event, but we've got the entire bridge crew, Walkure, the mechanics, Rag Nyan Nyan personnel, but not even any representative from either squadron. Not to mention Hayate wasn't keen to entertain the notion of replacement pilots from either squadron. I get it, each are close knitted units, but they are still sister squadrons for heaven's sake!

Love how the animators pulled off a visual gag with the model plane having a sun graphic, which is strangely reminiscent of that fateful kill shot.

Hayate has some big shoes to fill with those words of his. I was like "yeah... right... get your own act right 1st"

Love the way Kaname steeled herself and awakened her resolve. She was previously resigned to just play 2nd fiddle to Mikumo and even Freya, but seems that she is now determined to be just a bright as either of them and not settle for the status quo.

How was Messer's Valkyrie still intact? At the end of the last episode it was plummeting from the sky. Does the AI take over at some point and stop it from crashing? I know there was a discussion regarding the AI in Hayate's Valkyrie being disabled in an earlier episode.

On another note, I don't think there's any indication that Kaname had feelings for Messer. I think his connection to her through "Axia" came as a complete surprise, however there's no doubt that revelation deeply affected her. My guess is that Messer's death will ultimately bring Kaname and Arad closer together.

Finally, I agree with the criticism regarding the last few conflicts between Delta and the Aerial Knights. Having the episodes end without resolving the skirmishes in some fashion is growing increasingly disappointing.

How was Messer's Valkyrie still intact? At the end of the last episode it was plummeting from the sky. Does the AI take over at some point and stop it from crashing? I know there was a discussion regarding the AI in Hayate's Valkyrie being disabled in an earlier episode.

On another note, I don't think there's any indication that Kaname had feelings for Messer. I think his connection to her through "Axia" came as a complete surprise, however there's no doubt that revelation deeply affected her. My guess is that Messer's death will ultimately bring Kaname and Arad closer together.

Finally, I agree with the criticism regarding the last few conflicts between Delta and the Aerial Knights. Having the episodes end without resolving the skirmishes in some fashion is growing increasingly disappointing.

al sahal are mostly dessert so if the plane crash on sand it seems will intact. on frontier alto plane crash on soil and rocks at galia4 and it didnt break

Well Alto's YF-29 survived a worse crash in the second Frontier movie, and as eko said Al Shahal is mostly sand, so it's not too far-fetched.

About Kaname's feelings, not 100% sure without subs but supposedly at the end Kaname tells Mikumo that Freyja won't be her only rival because she sings for her most important person and they are showing Messer's bracelet on her desk as she's saying that, so apparently she had feelings for Messer and the thing with Arad could have been a red herring, also aside from Chuck's sister Kaname was the only other character to cry for Messer, but I guess it's best to wait for the subs.

Hah.... looks like Alpha and Beta guys aren't close to the Delta guys at all. At the "sendoff", though probably only a Delta squadron event, but we've got the entire bridge crew, Walkure, the mechanics, Rag Nyan Nyan personnel, but not even any representative from either squadron. Not to mention Hayate wasn't keen to entertain the notion of replacement pilots from either squadron. I get it, each are close knitted units, but they are still sister squadrons for heaven's sake!

Well, after episode 6 when several members of Alpha were shot down (and I presumed killed based on the hits they took), there was no mention of Delta attending their funeral. So perhaps Alpha was snubbing Delta in return by not attending Messer's funeral

Well, after episode 6 when several members of Alpha were shot down (and I presumed killed based on the hits they took), there was no mention of Delta attending their funeral. So perhaps Alpha was snubbing Delta in return by not attending Messer's funeral

Good point

That's an excellent question... though one with several plausible answers.

1. The Valkyrie did, in fact, crash and the strength of its armor was sufficient to prevent there from being any significant/noticeable damage as a result of a low-velocity uncontrolled landing. We've seen this before, in the original series and DYRL?, and the VF-31's armor is an order of magnitude better than the VF-1's.
  2. Another member of Delta Platoon was able to catch Messer's VF-31 before it hit the ground (ala Isamu and Guld, minus the "spiking you facefirst into the ground" part that came after).
  3. Delta Platoon has some kind of contingency/safety program built into the ARIEL II Super-AI avionics package that interceded after it detected the death of the pilot and acted to allow a soft, but uncontrolled, landing in a manner not dissimilar to the snap guide support AI on the training VF-1EX.

• The Valkyrie did, in fact, crash and the strength of its armor was sufficient to prevent there from being any significant/noticeable damage as a result of a low-velocity uncontrolled landing. We've seen this before, in the original series and DYRL?, and the VF-31's armor is an order of magnitude better than the VF-1's.
  • Another member of Delta Platoon was able to catch Messer's VF-31 before it hit the ground (ala Isamu and Guld, minus the "spiking you facefirst into the ground" part that came after).
  • Delta Platoon has some kind of contingency/safety program built into the ARIEL II Super-AI avionics package that interceded after it detected the death of the pilot and acted to allow a soft, but uncontrolled, landing in a manner not dissimilar to the snap guide support AI on the training VF-1EX.

See, this is why I'm getting annoyed with this method of storytelling. The could have showed someone from Delta move in to catch him, the AI taking control to level off the plane, or something. But no, we cut straight to the aftermath.

See, this is why I'm getting annoyed with this method of storytelling. The could have showed someone from Delta move in to catch him, the AI taking control to level off the plane, or something. But no, we cut straight to the aftermath.

^This!

• The Valkyrie did, in fact, crash and the strength of its armor was sufficient to prevent there from being any significant/noticeable damage as a result of a low-velocity uncontrolled landing. We've seen this before, in the original series and DYRL?, and the VF-31's armor is an order of magnitude better than the VF-1's.
  • Another member of Delta Platoon was able to catch Messer's VF-31 before it hit the ground (ala Isamu and Guld, minus the "spiking you facefirst into the ground" part that came after).
  • Delta Platoon has some kind of contingency/safety program built into the ARIEL II Super-AI avionics package that interceded after it detected the death of the pilot and acted to allow a soft, but uncontrolled, landing in a manner not dissimilar to the snap guide support AI on the training VF-1EX.

or perhaps chuck activate remote control of messer plane. when they escape from voldor it seems chuck remote controlling hayate mirage messer plane

I get the argument hat we should probably have seen how last episode's battle finished. But what happened to Messer's VF is easily inferred from the AI-anti-crash or remote control we've seen. And it's just not important.

But what happened to Messer's VF is easily inferred from the AI-anti-crash or remote control we've seen. And it's just not important.

Au contraire, I believe discussing how the story gets from point A to point C (leaving point B up for speculation) is part of what makes this community most interesting. Categorically dismissing it as "just not important" is disappointing, to say the least.

Au contraire, I believe discussing how the story gets from point A to point C (leaving point B up for speculation) is part of what makes this community most interesting. Categorically dismissing it as "just not important" is disappointing, to say the least.

You're missing my point and what you're saying here agrees with me. My point was "It's not important for the show to tell us exactly how it happened". Retrieving the valk is easy given what we know about the world's technology and the details don't matter to the story they're trying to tell.

maybe they couldn't attend because they didn't have animation models.

re: show length

27 or 30 episodes is vanishingly unlikely given how the schedule system works, we're getting either 25 or 26 episodes and that's basically that, because the TV networks won't want to make a mess of their regular season schedules. If the popularity of the show is anything like Frontier though - and it's looking good so far, given that the Blu-rays aren't available yet - we're probably getting another movie or two from this.

...Unless they troll us completely and this turns into a 2 x 25 episode show, which isn't completely impossible but still really unlikely.

re: show length

27 or 30 episodes is vanishingly unlikely given how the schedule system works, we're getting either 25 or 26 episodes and that's basically that, because the TV networks won't want to make a mess of their regular season schedules. If the popularity of the show is anything like Frontier though - and it's looking good so far, given that the Blu-rays aren't available yet - we're probably getting another movie or two from this.

...Unless they troll us completely and this turns into a 2 x 25 episode show, which isn't completely impossible but still really unlikely.

Maybe that's why the plot is developing so damned slow... maybe it WILL be the first 2x25 show Macross has had since 7.

You're missing my point and what you're saying here agrees with me. My point was "It's not important for the show to tell us exactly how it happened". Retrieving the valk is easy given what we know about the world's technology and the details don't matter to the story they're trying to tell.

I believe what Azrael and I are criticizing is the lack of showing us how things have been happening. This includes not letting viewers see the conflicts between Delta and the Aerial Knights play out as well as providing details such as how Messer's Valkyrie appears to have remained intact following his death (to name two things).

That fact that we've been left to infer what happens in a numbers of episodes so far is actually important (at least to Azrael and me).

Still no subs?

Like I posted earlier, GG reported they'd be a day or so late due to traveling.

EDIT: Seto... post sniping me.. should have figured someone with that name would screw the rules and be quicker, lol.

(That's a YuGiOh Abridged joke btw)

Edited by Master Dex

Sorry, didn't see any notice about GG's delay. (I'm trying to scroll quickly, in case of spoilers). I almost wonder if the rule should be more like 24 hours after subs are out, instead of 24 hours after airing. Or like, 12 hours after subs, if people want to openly spoil as soon as possible.

Thankfully people seem to still be self-censoring due to lack of subs at the moment, even though it's technically no longer required.

Sorry, didn't see any notice about GG's delay. (I'm trying to scroll quickly, in case of spoilers). I almost wonder if the rule should be more like 24 hours after subs are out, instead of 24 hours after airing. Or like, 12 hours after subs, if people want to openly spoil as soon as possible.

Thankfully people seem to still be self-censoring due to lack of subs at the moment, even though it's technically no longer required.

I watched without subs, and understood most of it...I guess I can wait for a bit to understand the rest?