Anime Expo. July 1st-4th, 2016.

It was great to see and hear Kawamori give a restrospective on Macross and talk about his other work and next project. Meeting Kawamori, shaking his hand, getting his autograph, and attending his panel will be an amazing day to be cherished and remembered.

It was great to see and hear Kawamori give a restrospective on Macross and talk about his other work and next project. Meeting Kawamori, shaking his hand, getting his autograph, and attending his panel will be an amazing day to be cherished and remembered.

That was really the content of the presentation.

Here's what I remember loosely from memory :

He walked out to applause and flashed the Delta Walkure W. They asked that nobody take pictures or video.

SK began with where he grew up, in a rural town and how later moving to Toyama, with it's industry and trains proved to be a

culture shock.

He brought up how his father was an engineer and how he received a Fischertechnik construction toy set as a kid. The set allow him to build toys with moving parts as opposed to early LEGO sets which were more static.

Next he covered how he got into animation as a high schooler, showing slides of the project he and his friends finished in high school. He then talked about meeting the folks from Studio Nue and eventually going to work for them while in college.

He showed a slide about his first task as a 19 year old college student, the Diaclone Robot Car line which eventually became Optimus Prime. The slide got a lot of applause.

He then went on to chronicle the beginnings of Macross and of transforming planes.

He talked about how he and the younger Studio Nue staff came up with the idea for the next project, which was to be about planes. He initially wanted to only have a gerwalk transformation mode, but was told to make come up with a humanoid form. He worked on SDF and DYRL throughout college and it's success and the demands of putting it together eventually led to him dropping out in his third year.

Toy makers were skeptical that planes or space toys would sell. After he worked out the mechanics for the valk transformation in a paper model and the same toy maker from before was won over. He had mentioned before that his own culture shock is probably what contributes so largely to this being a plot device in his stories.

He mentioned that he wanted to find a way to differentiate Macross from Star Wars in that he wanted to find a way to win a war with culture. This became the justification for having a town and a singer in it.

Obviously I'm leaving a lot out. He did mention the other collaborators and creators throughout, but I don't want to get the names wrong, and that's info that's easily found online.

Edited by Mazinger

Congrats to those of you who were to meet the legend himself. I was fortunate enough to meet him when he first attended AX way back in I think '00 or 99 or something like that. Got him on video with me calling him "God" lol :D

We were actually walking to the Dunkin' Donuts and didn't know that old mural was there. It was a cool surprise and it seemed fitting and Macross related to take a picture of it. What a cool thing to see to cap off an awesome weekend.

Is that Gubaba at Satelite's booth?

Yes Gubaba was at Satelight's booth. As for those wanting a rundown of the panel, Mazinger pretty much covered the content. There will be some sort of article on the panel coming soon somewhere, and of course, a full podcast on the events of AX coming shortly. It was a great time for me, and from those that I met throughout.

I was able to attend the panel.. pretty informative and I was glad I could make it.

The autograph session was something else altogether.. I learned how AX does their sessions now.. They have a set number of tickets.. primary and secondary.. 100 for primary and 50 for secondary.. I also learned that secondary almost never gets the chance... which is silly.

I was one who scored a secondary ticket... we were told not enough time so no secondary tickets would get signatures.. blah blah.. then they started selling tapestries for another Kawamori title called Nobunaga the fool? For $50 you get the tapestry signed by SK and the item you brought to have him sign.. Since this was my reason for AX I dropped the $50 and managed to get my Macross Mechanical Works book signed...

I'm still pleased as I got what I brought signed and got to meet SK.