Wave 1/72 VF-4 lightning

seti88

Has the separate canopy frame ever been done on model aircraft before (at least in this small a scale)? I’m a little concerned that unless it’s done perfectly with the toughest possible tolerances, you’re going to see gaps between the frame and “glass” that will make it look like a snap-together kit.

3 hours ago, VF-1A Grunt said:

Has the separate canopy frame ever been done on model aircraft before (at least in this small a scale)? I’m a little concerned that unless it’s done perfectly with the toughest possible tolerances, you’re going to see gaps between the frame and “glass” that will make it look like a snap-together kit.

This is going to be entirely up to the quality of Wave's molds.  I've seen it done with Bandai's Star Wars kits in 1/72 (specifically the A-Wing.. though whether that counts as 1/72 is another story), but that's Bandai for you.  This kit looks like it will need to be of similar quality molding to pull off that sort of assembly.

Edited by Chronocidal

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, kajnrig said:

IIRC, Bandai's Star Wars kits have a choice between a clear canopy or just the frame without any windows, which is significantly different from what this Wave kit does, ie separate frame and window parts.

The A-Wing is actually the oddball of the Bandai bunch, since that was one of the few studio models that actually had a transparent canopy, instead of windowless frames.  There's no glass-less option for that one.

I'd forgotten about the Bandai VF-1 kit though (possibly on purpose :p), but yeah, again, it'll come down to how accurate Wave can make the molds.  Transparent plastic usually just winds up brittle and hard to work with.

• 4 weeks later...

That's what I get for Caving and picking up a DX VF-31C last week... ah well

vkcKqhs.gif

5 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Same, straight into PW.

EDIT:

By the by, it was Order Stop leading up to release date, but HLJ shows it has plenty in stock, so if you're still looking to get one, now's your chance.

Sunuva... I just shipped my PW today...

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, joscasle said:

NO one has one yet? 

My 4 are en-route from HLJ.

There are reviews on the youtubes of the kit out-of-the-box:

11 hours ago, joscasle said:

NO one has one yet? 

Mine came in on Wednesday, and then right to the bottom of the pile of other projects.  Just as advertised I think, don't know how I feel about it being a snap-fit model but I guess it shouldn't matter, I'm gonna glue anyway.

10 minutes ago, vincemoto7 said:

Mine came in on Wednesday, and then right to the bottom of the pile of other projects.  Just as advertised I think, don't know how I feel about it being a snap-fit model but I guess it shouldn't matter, I'm gonna glue anyway.

Snap-fit kits are always such a pain when you want to build them "traditionally." All the solid connections actually make for way more work, at least for me. I have to cut down all the pegs and holes so that they're little more than guide rails and the actual holding together comes from the glue/cement.