Wave 1/72 VF-4 lightning

seti88

Here - one completed VF-4 WAVE kit.

IMG_0394.thumb.JPG.1d9c539fa686743489c0cf2a323fe132.JPGIMG_0395.thumb.JPG.467dba28f2ae8a5d05f33e1a32917fee.JPGIMG_0396.thumb.JPG.efafce748724a7f11487ab7573f33127.JPGIMG_0397.thumb.JPG.526a48962c0cd652f6cf37d0b867d537.JPG

My initial thoughts on the kit were the quality issues:

- thick panel lines that could fit a zentradi finger

- inaccurate dimensions of the main body and wings

BUT! - most of the parts were fitting together really nice except for some edges. Especially the weapon housing on both engines. I fixed this easily by cutting away a pin on both sides.

IMG_0281.thumb.JPG.57c52976d16a337213097a3c0fa02c9a.JPGIMG_0282.thumb.JPG.ccc64b8140dd3d19fcbe63787f442c59.JPG

In the end I am satisfied with the result. :D

Hate to break this to you, but I think you have the inlet ramp doors mounted backwards.  The thicker part should be inside toward the engine.  :huh: 

Might not be too difficult to fix, depending on how well they were glued down, but fortunately the mounting points will stay hidden.

Edited by Chronocidal

21 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Hate to break this to you, but I think you have the inlet ramp doors mounted backwards.  The thicker part should be inside toward the engine.  :huh: 

Might not be too difficult to fix, depending on how well they were glued down, but fortunately the mounting points will stay hidden.

huh ... well ... urgh...

but no worries. I managed to fix it. Thanks for pointing that out. Hahahahaha!

21 hours ago, Bolt said:

Nice! Good job on the panels and paint!

11 hours ago, electric indigo said:

Very nice with the overall balanced weathering. For dealing with exaggerated panel lines: Leave off the wash or do a very light one.

thanks guys :D

Edited by Urashiman

• 4 weeks later...

Those are some pretty bland paint schemes. Maybe based off of Milia’s red VF-17? Don’t have my VF-4 Master File handy and don’t recall if those schemes were depicted in it. I would have preferred something with more white in it like their VF-1Js. Could always do it myself, I guess...

1 hour ago, VF-1A Grunt said:

Those are some pretty bland paint schemes. Maybe based off of Milia’s red VF-17? Don’t have my VF-4 Master File handy and don’t recall if those schemes were depicted in it. I would have preferred something with more white in it like their VF-1Js. Could always do it myself, I guess...

Those Lightning scheme was based from Macross M3 game.

And from Macross Mecha Manual:

vf-4g-styled-max-fighter.gif

vf-4g-styled-milia-fighter.gif

Thanks for the info - I’m not too familiar with Macross outside of the main movie / shows. The schemes look a little better in the darker, shiny colors in the Mecha Manual. Maybe a bit washed out in the model photos. I’ll give them a chance.

Has Wave introduced a 1/72 weapons set for this model, or are those external missiles potentially some new sprues that are included with these releases? I’ve always thought the Hasegawa box launchers were too big, so I’d welcome a Wave set if it improves on those.

Edited by VF-1A Grunt

You're welcome. I do remember seeing a Blue and Red 'Dancing Skull' schemes in the VF-4 Master File but it's not the same as the one featured in the M3 game.

gallery_12176_640_109887.jpg

Would be nice too if Wave decides to do these 'packs' on their VF-4 as an add-on set based on the Master File book. :rolleyes:

gallery_12176_640_281044.jpg

gallery_12176_640_300178.jpg

Scan photos courtesy of @jvmacross

3 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Seems like FEXT is "borrowing" design ideas from the Masterfiles crew...that cannon looks awfully similar....

large.20180811_132500.jpg.e8cb60f47caa69

You're right. That's why it somehow looks familiar to me after I opened mine. Nice, JVM! ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Gah, M3 versions of the scheme.  The Master Files versions look SO much better.  (M3 had some amazing schemes, and some terrible schemes---which is odd considering they're really all the same scheme).  Milia's VF-11B scheme from M3 is so much neater than her M7+ one.  The VF-9 scheme is similar and also really neat.  The VF-4's---were bland, had ORANGE accents, and were oddly pale/faded...

2 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

Anyone heard of a release of the gunpod for the lightning? I was dissappointed not to see it included in the original release for $60 odd dollars.

Officially, VF-4 Lightning doesn't carry a gunpod in Fighter mode even though it's capable to carry one in Gerwalk and Battroid mode, the arm units already have beam cannons as its main weapon for it to carry a gunpod. Not to mention the 12 missiles that it carries.

2 hours ago, Goodman Models said:

I was thinking of the one on pg. 79 of the Vf04 master file. I suppose I may just scratch build it!

I checked the Master File thread and found some photo that shows VF-4G with a Gunpod. And it doesn't look like the standard, GU-11 Gunpod. More like a custom GU-11.

Looking forward on your scratch build. ^_^

Photo courtesy of @jvmacross:
gallery_12176_640_249905.jpg

gallery_12176_640_20299.jpg

gallery_12176_640_164119.jpg

gallery_12176_640_351700.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Don’t both the HMR and the Arcadia both come with gun pods?

Don't think the Arcadia came with one...

HMR seems to come with one and a custom stand

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

I'll bet that the weapons dont come with the Max/Millia kit.

- Brett

Max and Millia release is branded as ‘DX release’ by including the said armaments. And probably Hikaru’s decal sheet too. That’s probably why they’ve included the photos. And it’s Y1000 more than Hikaru’s VF-4 release.

https://www.hobby-wave.com/products/mc058/

10 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Max and Millia release is branded as ‘DX release’ by including the said armaments. And probably Hikaru’s decal sheet too. That’s probably why they’ve included the photos. And it’s Y1000 more than Hikaru’s VF-4 release.

https://www.hobby-wave.com/products/mc058/

I wonder if they'll be in the same colours as the FB2012 kit, or if they'll be all-white or gray...

they're not [don't seem to be] releasing a separate Max and Milia, so I'm banking on all white plastic

Edited by slide

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2018 at 9:50 PM, slide said:

I wonder if they'll be in the same colours as the FB2012 kit, or if they'll be all-white or gray...

they're not [don't seem to be] releasing a separate Max and Milia, so I'm banking on all white plastic

According to HLJ, there is only enough plastic for one plane, but with decals for either. So it's a good bet it'll be molded in good old white plastics like the original release.

Edited by Thom

5 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Different Gunpod? Cool. :good:

That appears to be the "Howard GU-11C(P)" introduced in the Variable Fighter Master File: VF-4 Lightning III book (apparently developed for the VF-4G, to give it extra "stopping power" ;) )