Wave 1/72 VF-4 lightning

seti88

Going back to the rear canopy, I'm assuming that it requires masking? I can't tell from the product pics if there's supposed to be a black frame along the edge (though it is present on the line art), and there's nothing on the decal sheet either that would cover that area or any indication in the manual calling for it.

EDIT:

Also RE: arresting mode, can it be built with tailhook deployed?

Edited by kajnrig

15 minutes ago, mickyg said:

This is one of those few kits that has the canopy frame as a separate (not clear) piece.  So you shouldn't need to mask it.  I don't have it though, so if I'm off, please let me know.

I mean part G1, not G2 + H1, the front part of the canopy.

vf4cockpit.png

Look carefully.... there is a faint frame indentation on the rear canopy... G1 needs masking and painting I'm afraid.

Landing gear benefits from decent painting and adding at east some brake lines. It sits nose high but you'd lower it (compress it) for a cat shot anyway same as for the vf-1.

Edited by NZEOD

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Going back to the rear canopy, I'm assuming that it requires masking? I can't tell from the product pics if there's supposed to be a black frame along the edge (though it is present on the line art), and there's nothing on the decal sheet either that would cover that area or any indication in the manual calling for it.

EDIT:

Also RE: arresting mode, can it be built with tailhook deployed?

Arrestor hook would need modelling to deploy down. Not hard. Same with the cat hook if it' to be hooked up and the rear gear would either need extending if it's unloaded in flight or compressing on deck impact. I'm doing another on a cat and a final one arriving on a pitching deck. So one rear leg will be compressed and one extended as the deck will be on an angle.

3 hours ago, NZEOD said:

Look carefully.... there is a faint frame indentation on the rear canopy... G1 needs masking and painting I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, NZEOD said:

Arrestor hook would need modelling to deploy down. Not hard. Same with the cat hook if it' to be hooked up and the rear gear would either need extending if it's unloaded in flight or compressing on deck impact.

Yeah, I didn't expect them to go to the effort of including parts for the hook, so that's totally understandable. Good to know, thanks for the answers.

5 hours ago, NZEOD said:

Landing gear benefits from decent painting and adding at east some brake lines. It sits nose high but you'd lower it (compress it) for a cat shot anyway same as for the vf-1.

Why would one necessarily lower the nose for a cat shot? plenty of evidence indicates that isn't the only way:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTADnpxikjEeH605TwenO-AuDbVK9hSVDP_Ren1THdkYZPHcbzV

20120309%20IWA_0519%20F-5N%2076-1537%20VFC-13%20right%20rear%20take-off%20l.jpg

the F-5 extends it's nosegear for takeoffs, leaving it nose-high when starting it's roll [I'm just learning her in DCS, I never knew the F-5 did that until last weekend...].

CXXS2_1UEAAyM76.jpg

the Buccaneer gets launched nose-up, and so did the RN's Phantoms...

phantom.jpg

for comparrison:

VF-4 (Plastic model) Item picture7

I think she'll sit just fine for a cat-shot, if the above press-photo of the kit is accurate. [rear ventral fins are an obvious issue]

EDIT: so I posted all that, then realised immediately: 

A) the Phantom didn't use a shuttle-cat

B) that you'd compress the nose-gear with a US-style shuttle launcher for the strongest possible configuration during all that stress... :fool:

but I stand by my "a nose-high attitude is fine" statement... lol:D

the F-4 took off nose-high, so the VF-4 should too!:ph34r:

Edited by slide

3 hours ago, slide said:

Why would one necessarily lower the nose for a cat shot? plenty of evidence indicates that isn't the only way:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTADnpxikjEeH605TwenO-AuDbVK9hSVDP_Ren1THdkYZPHcbzV

20120309%20IWA_0519%20F-5N%2076-1537%20VFC-13%20right%20rear%20take-off%20l.jpg

the F-5 extends it's nosegear for takeoffs, leaving it nose-high when starting it's roll [I'm just learning her in DCS, I never knew the F-5 did that until last weekend...].

CXXS2_1UEAAyM76.jpg

the Buccaneer gets launched nose-up, and so did the RN's Phantoms...

phantom.jpg

for comparrison:

VF-4 (Plastic model) Item picture7

I think she'll sit just fine for a cat-shot, if the above press-photo of the kit is accurate. [rear ventral fins are an obvious issue]

EDIT: so I posted all that, then realised immediately: 

A) the Phantom didn't use a shuttle-cat

B) that you'd compress the nose-gear with a US-style shuttle launcher for the strongest possible configuration during all that stress... :fool:

but I stand by my "a nose-high attitude is fine" statement... lol:D

the F-4 took off nose-high, so the VF-4 should too!:ph34r:

I was waiting for that... remember they use hold back bars... nice bit of research you did. I'e never looked into the other countries methods. Thinking what ever a Rafale does is the way to go? It' the closest in config

1 hour ago, electric indigo said:

I just noticed that Kawamori's line art has the rear wheels even further to the front. The ventral fins are supposed to fold upwards, but the nacelle itself would still be an issue.

The joys of anime magic. A bit like the impracticality of the twin hooks on the vf1

Repaired canopy with UV resin

20180419_074114_zpsb5susz7m.jpg20180419_074053_zpsxaov1bsl.jpg

Canopy open idea vs the image in the Master File 

20180419_074640_zpsi04kodhh.jpg20180419_074653_zps9owyro6z.jpg

Undercarriage detail from the Master File showing WAVE has it pretty accurate even though it appears PRETTY simplistic.

20180419_074732_zpsum1wuieb.jpg

20180419_074738_zpssa88dzps.jpg

Detail from the Master File showing the horizontslly folded underside fins for landings, takeoffs and all ground movements. 

20180419_074745_zpsee22h8wp.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

Some more detailling... white ram intakes. They paint intakes white in order to see FOD hazards easier.

20180419_074122_zpsfzwjaie7.jpg

Undercarriage painting

20180419_224255_zpscrkpidpi.jpg20180419_224349_zpspiuuq9zq.jpg

The method I use is tamiya primer - black pre shade on all the joints and detail - 1 part white Mr color to 4 parts lacquer - black interior wash - brush painted alclad stainless for the stantion tubes.

Oh... I wipe off the detail wash with my finger within a minute of applying.

End effect is a dirtied white suspension close to what I think is the real thing. Makes the details on the WAVE kit jump out. 

20180419_224328_zpskzo8eer6.jpg20180419_224332_zps6tqvtk8k.jpg

Edited by NZEOD

Until it's done I'll stick the rest of the build up photos n the work bench thread to avoid cluttering up this one.

no, ill upset someone somewhere so I'll stick to either the Workbench thread or make a new thread for the build.

Meanwhile work begins on the next two... mods so far as shown.

First up are the 2mm holes drilled in the wing inserts and underbody for 2mm rare earth magnets to fit up external stores.

20180430_124235_zpsgjuggto3.jpg20180430_124232_zpsbm7rfwhh.jpg

Next is the large snap it peg box removal from the turbine engine intakes. This allows this part to be painted white inside and have the turbine blades painted in alclad stainless then fitted and removed easily while the nacelle are assembled and masked. They can slid in and removed in seconds while still clicking into place seamlessly

20180430_122930_zps217oge7l.jpg20180430_122921_zpsaxamntxg.jpg

No masking needed this way... bonus!!!

Next mods tonight include removing and reinstalling all control surfaces and folding up the lower fins on one model as well as extending the Arrest or hook and compressing one side of the rear landing gear to show it at the moment of trapping

Edited by NZEOD

Shout out to anyone with information leading to the acquisition of a 1/72 decal set or model WITH useable decals of either an F-14 or F/A-18 of VF-143/VFA-143 Pukin Dogs. Reward... I'll buy it off you or fire off to you a Bandai 1/72 Macross model if I'm buying it off someone else you put me on too. Needed for another vf4 build 

Edited by NZEOD

18 hours ago, NZEOD said:

Shout out to anyone with information leading to the acquisition of a 1/72 decal set or model WITH useable decals of either an F-14 or F/A-18 of VF-143/VFA-143 Pukin Dogs. Reward... I'll buy it off you or fire off to you a Bandai 1/72 Macross model if I'm buying it off someone else you put me on too. Needed for another vf4 build 

I ran across this while searching for a different squadron.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microscale-Decal-72-171-1-72-F-14A-Tomcat-VF-143-VF-124-VF32/282940614863?hash=item41e09328cf:g:GWgAAOSwstNaq3rZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I've got two rather niggling annoyances with this kit, but it's otherwise really fun to put together.

First.. why are the engine nacelles tilted so far off horizontal?  I know they made the design's anhedral a bit shallower, but they just look offline.  Has anyone tried to level them out by adjusting the mounting points?

Second, I really wish they hadn't made the conformal missiles as halves, and had gone the full indent route.  Not necessarily because I want to make a version that's unloaded, but because there are places I can see underneath them.  The details around the intakes, and certain panel lines make it fairly obvious that there's not a complete missile there.