Wave 1/72 VF-4 lightning

seti88

28 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Any chance that Wave will do other VFs after this, or is it assumed that the VF-4 is the only one they are doing?

They don't have as consistent a history with the license as Hasegawa, that's for sure... They did the Destroids, and I think some 1/100 VFs, but this is the first (and only, so far) I've seen them make in 1/72. No word on any future releases. Probably they'll see how this release sells first.

I kind of like the shorter neck. Looks a little less goosey.

EDIT: Looking at the photos on a bigger screen, it looks like they've used the cooler, more-Macrossy, flight suit from the VF-4 Master File. Apparently they switched to this one around 2019. As others have said, Hikaru's FB2012 flight suit has got to be the ugliest version out there, so I think it's a good change.

gallery_12176_640_122454.jpg

Edited by Kelsain

7 hours ago, Kelsain said:

EDIT: Looking at the photos on a bigger screen, it looks like they've used the cooler, more-Macrossy, flight suit from the VF-4 Master File. Apparently they switched to this one around 2019. As others have said, Hikaru's FB2012 flight suit has got to be the ugliest version out there, so I think it's a good change.

Any chance if the VF-4 kit comes with two different uniformed pilots since they already mentioned it comes with FB2012 decals on it? Maybe they included the 2012 uniform as well?

Just so we're all on the same page here, the reason I mentioned Hikaru's flight suit & helmet isn't so much because I think it's the best ever, it certainly borders on "unique" to say the least. And while the flight suit used for the Yamato/Arcadia VF-4G does indeed look better and more like a DYRL uniform, if I am going to build a VF-4 from Flashback 2012, I'd like to have both an accurate paint scheme and the correct pilot inside so it's just like you see it in the OVA. Otherwise it's the Hasegawa TV SDF-1 all over again... close enough and I'm tired of spending money on close enough. 

Just my opinion, not saying it's yours. B))

@no3Ljm Would be nice if they included both styles of pilots, that would solve any issues instantly. 

59 minutes ago, 505thAirborne said:

Just so we're all on the same page here, the reason I mentioned Hikaru's flight suit & helmet isn't so much because I think it's the best ever, it certainly borders on "unique" to say the least. And while the flight suit used for the Yamato/Arcadia VF-4G does indeed look better and more like a DYRL uniform, if I am going to build a VF-4 from Flashback 2012, I'd like to have both an accurate paint scheme and the correct pilot inside so it's just like you see it in the OVA. Otherwise it's the Hasegawa TV SDF-1 all over again... close enough and I'm tired of spending money on close enough. 

Just my opinion, not saying it's yours. B))

@no3Ljm Would be nice if they included both styles of pilots, that would solve any issues instantly. 

I agree. And would love to have a FB2012 pilot suit for 1/60 scale too for my Yamarcadia VF-4G. Hope @Xigfrid or @EXO can do one for us over Shapeways. ^_^ 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:51 PM, kajnrig said:

They don't have as consistent a history with the license as Hasegawa, that's for sure... They did the Destroids, and I think some 1/100 VFs, but this is the first (and only, so far) I've seen them make in 1/72. No word on any future releases. Probably they'll see how this release sells first.

I'd forgotten about the Wave 1/72 Destroids. Still annoyed they never did a Destroid Spartan.

But still, they're slowly releasing a variety of kits, so maybe they'll do some other 1/72 fighters later. A modern quality 1/72 VF-2SS would be awesome.

7 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

But still, they're slowly releasing a variety of kits, so maybe they'll do some other 1/72 fighters later. A modern quality 1/72 VF-2SS would be awesome.

Don't forget you can hunt down a Moscato Hobby Models kit or it's repop. I am pretty sure the patterns are out there somewhere as the other 1/72 scale kits crop up over at Starship Modeler from time to time.

-Brett

10 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I'd forgotten about the Wave 1/72 Destroids. Still annoyed they never did a Destroid Spartan.

VF-3000, VF-5000, VF-9 Cutlass...

On 1/25/2018 at 6:28 PM, NZEOD said:

They are eldar striking scorpion mandiblasters...

Best answer. You win!:rofl:

On 1/26/2018 at 4:42 AM, Kelsain said:

That art of the flight-gear shuts me right up. Either option, though I do prefer the, presumably, 2019 'in-service' one.

So, one thing that does make a little sense to me with the "ugly" suit.. it may have been designed before the artwork used in DYRL.

It's just a snippet to go on, but the Flashback 2012 wiki article mentions that it was put together out of scenes from both SDFM and DYRL, along with scenes that had been planned for both the TV series and the movie, but weren't animated.  Apparently the Megaroad launch sequence was intended to be part of the TV series finale.

No reason they couldn't have used updated designs for Flashback, but I wonder if they already had some of the keyframes for the Megaroad launch completed before the sequence was scrapped.

If you ignore DYRL's style, that bulky padded suit from 2012 is easy to see as a natural progression from the bare-bones jumpsuits in SDFM, toward a more recognizably space-worthy style, looking more like actual NASA gear.

What does the Immelman VF-22 look like? Couldn't find much with google.

And which version(s) of the VF-171 show up in Delta?

I would really love a good series of VF-171s, including variations from Delta, Frontier, and anywhere else it's been.

EDIT: After doing more research, I've got a partial list of VF-171 variants. Am I missing anything?

VF-171 Nightmare Plus

VF-171EX Nightmare Plus

VF-171EX Super Nightmare Plus

RVF-171 Nightmare Plus

(I couldn't determine if there's a VF-171 Super Nightmare Plus or RVF-171EX Nightmare Plus)

---

I must admit I like the VF-171 a lot more than the old VF-17, but I'd be happy with a Hasegawa VF-17 just to have a nice full line of VFs.

I'm kinda surprised Hasegawa hasn't done more Macross 7 stuff. Like this guy...

52.jpg

Edited by KOG Water Dragon

2 hours ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Kind of like grey color scheme. Probably the nearest scheme is the Moonshooters scheme.

Wright_Immelman-1_VF-22-1_Delta-17.jpg.5e314d6aba58a0923257d51404283848.jpg

x03-VF-22-and-Berger.jpg.ae628c4c5ffde614dcfb8f7a562907fa.jpg

x08-VF-22-shrine.jpg.17802c58eb338723ae8cef9103d21ed3.jpg

VF-171 Nightmare Plus
http://macross.jp/deltamovie/mechanic/index06.php

Edited by no3Ljm

In addition to Noel's pics, here are some more "naturally-lit" screenshots:

vlcsnap-2018-01-31-15h17m09s163.png.f21f1859d22267e5915697a511dacc28.pngvlcsnap-2018-01-31-15h17m40s272.png.17513732d3a873091d7860df5606930b.png

I would really love a good series of VF-171s, including variations from Delta, Frontier, and anywhere else it's been.

IIRC, there's not much info on what if anything separates the Delta VF-171 from the Frontier VF-171 aside from the color scheme. The Mecha Colle kit of the Delta variant calls it the "Rim World Model." The VF-171 fleet aboard the Macross Frontier eventually gets modified to the VF-171EX standard (starting with Alto's custom paint), incorporating Vajra-specific weaponry and support for EX Gear. Luca's ride probably has those same modifications, so it's probably an EX as well in all but name.

Also IIRC, the Frontier VF-171 is never depicted with Super packs until the EX upgrade; the Delta variant is never depicted with Supers at all. Hypothetically, all the variants, including Luca's RVF, could probably equip Super equipment.

Thus far (and again IIRC) the known VF-171 variants, not including the original VF-17, are:

- VF-171 Nightmare Plus (Frontier colors)
- VF-171 Nightmare Plus (Delta colors, "Rim World Model")
- VF-171EX Nightmare Plus (Frontier colors)
- VF-171EX Nightmare Plus (Alto colors)
- VF-171EX Nightmare Plus (Maruyama colors, has a large Sheryl decal on top fuselage)
- VF-171EX Nightmare Plus (Hero Shot Vajra-Puncher Guy colors????)
- RVF-171(EX?) Nightmare Plus (Luca colors)

I'm kinda surprised Hasegawa hasn't done more Macross 7 stuff. Like this guy...

Unlike the VF-19A or VF-19EF/A, all of the Macross 7 VF-19s are pretty radical departures from the basic shape of the YF-19, and even from each other. Different curves, different lines, etc. They'd have to create a lot from scratch for each kit, probably to the point that they would barely eke out a profit or not profit at all.

Are the VF-19F, VF-19S, and VF-19 Custom different enough from each other that a basic set of moulds couldn't serve all 3?

And I'm curious: are the Macross 7 variants of the VF-11 too different for Hasegawa to be able to kit them based on existing moulds? I feel like Hasegawa really hasn't milked the VF-11 enough...

(Pass on the VF-11MAXL though)

1 hour ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Are the VF-19F, VF-19S, and VF-19 Custom different enough from each other that a basic set of moulds couldn't serve all 3?

Hm... now that I take a good look at them, maybe I exaggerated things a bit. What initially seemed like vastly different transitions from main body to wing roots actually looks to be relatively the same between all the M7 VF-19s. The major areas needing different molds would be the shoulders, the head, and the "neck" of the VF-19 behind the cockpit. All of which are easy enough to engineer.

Still, though, I don't think there's much clamoring for the M7 VF-19 variants; everyone seems to prefer the original prototype look.

1 hour ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

And I'm curious: are the Macross 7 variants of the VF-11 too different for Hasegawa to be able to kit them based on existing moulds? I feel like Hasegawa really hasn't milked the VF-11 enough...

(Pass on the VF-11MAXL though)

IIRC, Hasegawa released a M7-schemed VF-11C kit... though what the differences between it and M+'s VF-11B are, i don't know.

14 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Hm... now that I take a good look at them, maybe I exaggerated things a bit. What initially seemed like vastly different transitions from main body to wing roots actually looks to be relatively the same between all the M7 VF-19s. The major areas needing different molds would be the shoulders, the head, and the "neck" of the VF-19 behind the cockpit. All of which are easy enough to engineer.

Still, though, I don't think there's much clamoring for the M7 VF-19 variants; everyone seems to prefer the original prototype look.

IIRC, Hasegawa released a M7-schemed VF-11C kit... though what the differences between it and M+'s VF-11B are, i don't know.

I don't think Hasegawa did a M7 VF-11C. As far as I know, the Hasegawa releases are limited to:

VF-11B (basic)

VF-11B (Macross the Ride ver.)

Super VF-11B

VF-11D (Macross the Ride ver.)

VE-11

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, no3Ljm said:

Kind of like grey color scheme. Probably the nearest scheme is the Moonshooters scheme.

Wright_Immelman-1_VF-22-1_Delta-17.jpg.5e314d6aba58a0923257d51404283848.jpg

x03-VF-22-and-Berger.jpg.ae628c4c5ffde614dcfb8f7a562907fa.jpg

x08-VF-22-shrine.jpg.17802c58eb338723ae8cef9103d21ed3.jpg

VF-171 Nightmare Plus
http://macross.jp/deltamovie/mechanic/index06.php

I wouldn't mind if Hasegawa released this VF-22 as a variant. They haven't repopped the YF-21/VF-22 much... I think there's only about 3 boxings?

I wouldn't mind if Hasegawa released this VF-22 as a variant. They haven't repopped the YF-21/VF-22 much... I think there's only about 3 boxings?

Yes, I believe so. YF-21, VF-22, and VF-22 Moonshooters. I guess, we could say the same thing with their VF-11. VF-11B, Super VF-11B, VF-11B Nothung, and VF-11D Thunder Focus. There's no VF-11C but they manage to retool the cockpit for VF-11D since it's a two-seater.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Yes, I believe so. YF-21, VF-22, and VF-22 Moonshooters. I guess, we could say the same thing with their VF-11. VF-11B, Super VF-11B, VF-11B Nothung, and VF-11D Thunder Focus. There's no VF-11C but they manage to retool the cockpit for VF-11D since it's a two-seater.

And then we have the YF-19/VF-19 which fares a bit better with 6 boxings. But nothing compares to the VF-1.

4 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

also the VE-11

10223076.jpg

Edited by slide

• 3 weeks later...

I no longer build model but if you can build it straight like a non-macross Bandai model then the price is more acceptable. But if it requires heavy masking and lots of glue, then yes it is expensive. (though at this point, there is really no cheaper vf-4 alternative)

The blog mentions that the kit is snap-fit (ie. no glue required).

It also mentioins that the cockpit can be fitted in from below after the fuselage completed. This makes it super easy for painting.

With the nose being one piece, it takes out an area that often requires seamline removal in aircraft models. And with the canopy having a separate frame piece, masking is no longer needed and makes things much easier. 

This is kit is looking like something that's going to be a breeze to complete!

Edited by Vifam7

18 minutes ago, Vifam7 said:

The blog mentions that the kit is snap-fit (ie. no glue required).

It also mentioins that the cockpit can be fitted in from below after the fuselage completed. This makes it super easy for painting.

With the nose being one piece, it takes out an area that often requires seamline removal in aircraft models. And with the canopy having a separate frame piece, masking is no longer needed and makes things much easier. 

This is kit is looking like something that's going to be a breeze to complete!

Totally agree with you!

Happy to see that. I petitioned HLJ to look at the VF-4 in one of their Gunpla TV episodes, and they made the (understandable) point that it would depend on whether the kit is snap-build or not, since they wouldn't have enough time in a week to do a traditional Hasegawa kit. This reveal ups the chance that it'll be getting a gander.

Honestly, that's looking a lot like Bandai's treatment of the Star Wars kits, what with the colored molding and easy assembly.

Price is pretty steep, but might be worth picking up one to build up.  Have to see if the molding quality can match up with Bandai's, as far as precision and fit.  Snap assembly can range from "goes together like LEGO bricks" (Bandai) to "you better put it together right on the first try, or you're doing to destroy it trying to take it apart again" (Revell). :p 

6 hours ago, kajnrig said:

HLJ and HS say the kit's been pushed back YET AGAIN to March. Anyone else saying this?

Looks like it is. The release date says March as what posted on the blog link awhile back. Text towards the end of the blog. Besides, most members here waited years for this. What's another month? ;)

●本体価格:¥5,800(税別) ●2018年3月発売予定

On 2/19/2018 at 8:29 PM, TMBounty_Hunter said: