Wave 1/72 VF-4 lightning

seti88

Oh goddamn it, as if I don't already have enough things lined up to buy that month! :D

EDIT:

...although that said, the CGI renders don't exactly paint it in a flattering light... Can anyone confirm that's actually what it more or less looks like?

EDIT 2:

HLJ - https://hlj.com/product/WAVMC-57

Hobby Search - https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10486903

Edited by kajnrig

So, they're screwing themselves over by using an orthographic projection on those renders.  It's going to look incredibly wrong from every angle except side/top/front that way, because it's not done in a proper perspective.

That being said.. yeah, I'm not quite feeling the proportions.

Yeah, just not feeling the proportions either.  Why can't Hasegawa take a crack at this?  It's a wait and see - but it is one of my most favourite designs.

15 hours ago, mickyg said:

Oh yeah! Just realised there's no perspective in those renders at all. That makes a huge difference. Thanks for pointing that out. 

Apologies, I don't understand what this means. Does this mean that it will look better or worse? I don't hate how it looks in these renders but do think the nose is a bit wonky.

Chris

27 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Apologies, I don't understand what this means. Does this mean that it will look better or worse? I don't hate how it looks in these renders but do think the nose is a bit wonky.

Chris

Orthographic projections, as best I understand them, are designed to give perfect dimensions for the purposes of translating that to some sort of construction (real or virtual).  So if you were to take a ruler and apply whatever scaling is necessary, you'd find everything is exactly the right dimensions to whatever it is you're trying to make, even if the part is farther away from you than some other part.

In real life, we don't see that way.  Nor is any photograph likely to capture this view.  Things that are farther away, even if it's just a little bit farther away, as in the case of a scale model, will still look smaller. 

Wave's 3D render does not do any perspective scaling.  So if you were to measure that wingtip farthest from you, you'll find it's exactly the same size as the one closer to you.  It doesn't look quite so bad in the top or side views but when you go from an angle, it just looks weird because we're expecting to see some sort "realistic" view of the model and instead our brains go "something isn't right about this" instead.

Edited by mickyg

5 hours ago, mickyg said:

Orthographic projections, as best I understand them, are designed to give perfect dimensions for the purposes of translating that to some sort of construction (real or virtual).  So if you were to take a ruler and apply whatever scaling is necessary, you'd find everything is exactly the right dimensions to whatever it is you're trying to make, even if the part is farther away from you than some other part.

In real life, we don't see that way.  Nor is any photograph likely to capture this view.  Things that are farther away, even if it's just a little bit farther away, as in the case of a scale model, will still look smaller. 

Wave's 3D render does not do any perspective scaling.  So if you were to measure that wingtip farthest from you, you'll find it's exactly the same size as the one closer to you.  It doesn't look quite so bad in the top or side views but when you go from an angle, it just looks weird because we're expecting to see some sort "realistic" view of the model and instead our brains go "something isn't right about this" instead.

This explains a lot. Apparently, these projections are for translating to/from side view, top-down view, and front view, hence why the two top-down and side shots look the least troubling. Looking at the renders again, the "background" engine nacelle always looks larger than the "foreground" one; you would need to know about orthographic projections to see the pictures right.

That being the case...

20 minutes ago, vincemoto7 said:

screw it....  PRE-ORDER COMPLETED!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, electric indigo said:

The slimmer nacelles on Wave's version look just sexy. And they prove that they understand Kawamori's designs with their Crusher Joe products IMO.

Yeah I'm not bothered that it doesn't match this or that lineart perfectly. The wave version looks quite nice and it'll look awesome next to other VFs.

Too bad we'll never see a Hasegawa VF-2SS :(

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Ok. Not sure if this is already asked and answered. But how does Wave kits quality compared to Hasegawa's?

Modern Wave kits seem good. I have their 1/72 Destroids. They look good in the box but I can't comment about fit since I haven't built them yet.

Wave kits are a lot closer to a Hasegawa style kit than a Bandai style kit, for sure.

Side note: WHY did Wave not finish the Destroid set with a Spartan?

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I'd have to guess that it's just because the Spartan doesn't share any parts with any of the other destroids.  I think the rest of them are all the same from the waist down.

The other 3 are very similar but not identical below the waist.

Upper leg details differ between the 3.

Obviously the Spartan would be a bigger investment than the last 2, but that shouldn't stop them. Unless the other 3 sold poorly. :(

Still, it's a shame to not have the full group in modern form. I may be reduced to buying one of the old 1/72 Spartans. But they are ooooold.

46 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Yeah I'm not bothered that it doesn't match this or that lineart perfectly. The wave version looks quite nice and it'll look awesome next to other VFs.

Too bad we'll never see a Hasegawa VF-2SS :(

Why won't we see a Hasegawa VF-2SS?  Is it a license issue?

44 minutes ago, wm cheng said:

Why won't we see a Hasegawa VF-2SS?  Is it a license issue?

My understanding is that it's not only not well regarded but also no longer considered canon? Along with the rest of Macross II. In any case it doesn't get much merchandising love. I was surprised when that expensive toy version came out recently.

14 minutes ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

Another toy! The one I was thinking of is from Evolution Toy.

Maybe this signals a renaissance of Mactross II merchandise? Maybe a Hasegawa kit isn't as impossible now as I thought it was...

The Bandai looks nice, but A- it's pricy and B- it's not a kit.

What scale is it in?

That HM-R figure? That's 1/100 scale.

And to be honest, whether it's canon or not, that VF-2SS looks cool and sexy in fighter mode. So I'm sure most members here will agree that VF-2SS Fighter mode deserves some love and attention by Hasegawa.

^_^

14 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

That HM-R figure? That's 1/100 scale.

And to be honest, whether it's canon or not, that VF-2SS looks cool and sexy in fighter mode. So I'm sure most members here will agree that VF-2SS Fighter mode deserves some love and attention by Hasegawa.

^_^

If it's 1/100 I'd pass. I'd need something in scale with my Hasegawa/Bandai model collection.

And yes, I LOVE the VF-2SS. I really want a nice 1/72 kit. I have 3 of the old Bandai kit but they are 1/100 as well I think.

On 8/31/2017 at 4:33 PM, electric indigo said:

For a great VF-2SS, look no further than Bandai's Hi-Metal R!

b1177.jpg

Yeah and good luck finding one, normal Bandai preorder madness that if you blink you'll miss it. :(

Chris

On 8/31/2017 at 5:10 PM, KOG Water Dragon said:

And yes, I LOVE the VF-2SS. I really want a nice 1/72 kit. I have 3 of the old Bandai kit but they are 1/100 as well I think.

Well I am up late after a large coffee this afternoon, bad for the wallet as I stumble into forums that I haven't visited in a long while and discover threads like this. :D

I pre-ordered one from HLJ. I highly doubt Hasegawa would even bother with this now; seems they are trying to keep up with current valks vs. trying to cover the older stuff that already has a rendition or two on the market.

I bought a resin eBay VF-4 a few years back and deeply regretted it. Very ugly casting with wobbly panel lines and shoddy stepping. I'll probably assemble it and drape a scale tarp over it as a sort of diorama piece.

KOG, there are some 1/72 VF-2SS models out there in resin if you didn't already know. Check out Jefuemons blue version. It'll knock your socks off!

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Phew... The physical thing puts me at ease compared to the renders. I'm feeling much more secure about keeping that preorder.

Last image: I'm gonna assume the two runners on the right-hand side are from a different kit? I mean, that'd be a pretty interesting gunpod, but...

The two runners on the right-hand side is for Votoms as per logo on the item card. ;)