Went and saw this with my girlfriend last night. I went in expecting a sub-par film adaptation wrought with inconsistencies, bad production values, and cheap laughs.

I hate to say it, but it was actually pretty decent. There was very little I could nitpick, outside of some small complaints. Production values were high; no expense was spared in trying to bring the liveliness of the animated film to the live-action set. Unlike it's predecessor, this film tried harder to capture the 16th-century France environment. Heavy use of CGI was not overbearing and many of the scenes were beautifully rendered. The Beast was not as horrible as I'd expected. He was big and brutish, but you could see that there was a human element beneath the fangs and fur.

Emma Watson. Not a good choice for Belle. She captures the essence of her character just as fine as any other actress, but she is just not able to convince me that she's the "prettiest girl in town". I really don't find her at all attractive, so this is purely subjective. Oh, and if you have good ears, you can detect the auto-tune in her voice. It's not obvious, but any audiophile will be able to catch occasional hints of an auto-tuned note or two.

Le Fou. I rolled my eyes when I heard that they were injecting some gay element into the movie where it shouldn't be. While I do wish they hadn't messed with the original formula, the homosexual undertones were very muted. For most of the movie, you could tell that Le Fou was hoping that Gaston would "notice" him, but it really never got in your face about it. It was like the two had a really good bromance with each other. Gaston was far more interested in Belle, of course, but you could tell that he kind of knew that Le Fou was that kind of guy. There was a scene that briefly showed Le Fou dancing with another man, but it flashed onscreen so fast, you never felt like the movie producers were trying to forcefeed it to you. It's not that bad, and that's coming from a big conservative guy.

The musical scenes were decent; additional verses and content were added to classic numbers. There were even a few new songs that melded in well with the rest of the score. It looks like Alan Menken and Tim Rice were heavily involved in this movie and I'm glad they were able to bring their talents to this recreation.

I was entertained. There were plenty of laughs and new jokes. That's worth some value to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Not their best head sculpt. There is just something off with it. It think it is her right eye (the eye on the left from our perspective). That's what keeps drawing my attention anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...