Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1D LowVis Skull Squadron

Mintox

Detailing the cockpit. I've added some seat straps and ejection pull chord otherwise the cockpit is pretty stock.

Class!

I found this pict on this forum of someones F18. This is the same position on the 1/72 Valk kit. Pity its not on the 1/48 which I think there is a ladder more in the style of the F14's. Like this better, just looks neat.

post-30595-0-21792600-1468279152_thumb.jpg

so... what is it? An egress ladder?

Yeah. Saves on using a ladder ladder! I just noticed that the 1/72 kits had this feature and thought it was a refuelling probe, which didnt make sense in the context of their microtechnology so came to the realisation it must be a boarding ladder.

I always thought the small ladder depicted in the artwork was kind of neat - you can even see the hand hold opening in the side of the fuselage above it:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1a-valkyrie/vf-1-fighter-machinery.gif

It's the same style of ladder built into the F-15:

http://a-37.org/images/SW_F15_STEPS.JPG

I always thought the small ladder depicted in the artwork was kind of neat - you can even see the hand hold opening in the side of the fuselage above it:

http://www.macross2.net/m3/sdfmacross/vf-1a-valkyrie/vf-1-fighter-machinery.gif

It's the same style of ladder built into the F-15:

http://a-37.org/images/SW_F15_STEPS.JPG

Yeah exactly but the artwork unfortunately doesnt resemble the kit in the area around the intakes. I do have the photo etch kits with these ladders for the 1/48 and am doing an open cockpit/open engine panels version of the standard white VF1J and I think Max's bird too with the extra cockpit brass etch from the mob that doesnt do them anymore (Jasmine Models?).

Gun and wheels on and drying. Underneath has had a slight weathering with pastels nothing major just like to keep it very sublime. Gear doors will go on next. Its funny but the desk light washes out all the dirty weathering streaks, especially on the gun. Its much dirtier than it looks in this shot.

post-30595-0-61228600-1468310028_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mintox

Missiles make everything better (unless they're flying at you). The ladder idea is cool. A-10's have them too. - MT

That's where they hide all the nose-art, the back of the A-10 ladder-door :D

She looks wonderful Mintox, even with the washed-out weathering.

Detailing the cockpit. I've added some seat straps and ejection pull chord otherwise the cockpit is pretty stock.

I forgot to ask - what straps did you use? Those look really sharp. I'm sure those types of parts are commonly used for real-world aircraft models, but I'm not up to speed on the products available. Thanks!

I forgot to ask - what straps did you use? Those look really sharp. I'm sure those types of parts are commonly used for real-world aircraft models, but I'm not up to speed on the products available. Thanks!

They are from the Eduard TSR2 1/72 cockpit detail set for the Airfix kit. I didn't end up using them as I had some nice resin seats for it. I thought the purple kind of looked futuristic.

Do they make straps that can be buckled up over the pilot?

You mean in Macross itself? I've never seen them but it makes sense they have otherwise those pilots better hang onto the controls tightly!

You mean in Macross itself? I've never seen them but it makes sense they have otherwise those pilots better hang onto the controls tightly!

No I mean actual 1/72 scale belted up straps

No I mean actual 1/72 scale belted up straps

Over a 1/72 pilot? Not in etched metal or brass. I have seen the actual buckles and connectors etc in etch but you have to make your own belt fabric. Probably easy enough to do but I've never tackled it myself.