Mission 8: Escape Resonance  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Positive (It's purrrfect.)
    • Neutral
    • Negative (Mirage, grandpa made 2 prison breaks and walked away unscathed while you get roughed up.)

I wonder if Roid is the new Grace, he seems very thoughtful, not like the rest of the Aerial Knights. Those guys seem to be all pawns. Have to see when Roid gets into a Valk

I wanna see Roid lose his cool and get angry...... "Roid Rage" LOL

Will get to everyone's spoilers in one sec, but two things:

1) Tangentially related to the episode: I'm glad they finally found a way to get around the final bit of "anime magic" regarding the Valks: the gunpods, and how they move from beneath the fighters to being hand-held. I didn't realize how much of a problem I had with that until I started building the RVF-25. Mounting brackets are all well and good, but it bothers me to no end when they can't replicate that aspect of the designs.

2) Nitpick: I'm getting real tired of the "flail with one arm and then plead with both" gesture that is unique to anime. Like, it's such a stupid thing that no one does, and it's not even a simple animation to make, either. It's (not) literally the worst thing ever.

Mad Dog Messer! :)

I'm definitely softening on Messer and Mikumo. For a moment there I was genuinely nervous that one of them was going to bite the bullet at some point in this episode. It just wouldn't be the same without either of them around. I hope he makes a quick recovery from the Var.

Another great episode.

edit: I will say, I was hoping we'd get some additional information regarding Mikumo and the ruins, but it looks like the focus may have actually been how the ruins respond to Freyja instead.

Edited by RDX17

"he'd be proud if he saw you now, boy"

arad knows hayates father?

Just what i was abt to ask. Looks like arad has more hidden secrets.

Which explains a certain extent why he had taken to recruiting hayate so easily. He may have seen a similar characteristic in someone before..

The helmet on the Voldoran pilot reminds me of Marika's from the Mouretsu Pirates movie.

"he'd be proud if he saw you now, boy"

arad knows hayates father?

That was definitely unexpected. It also brings about a contrast of sorts with Mirage who feels that she's having trouble living up to her grandparents legacy, while Hayate it seems doesn't even know his (if it's his father Arad is talking about) but seems to be doing fine.

Edited by d3v

The helmet on the Voldoran pilot reminds me of Marika's from the Mouretsu Pirates movie.

That was definitely unexpected. It also brings about a contrast of sorts with Mirage who feels that she's having trouble living up to her grandparents legacy, while Hayate it seems doesn't even know his (if it's his father Arad is talking about) but seems to be doing fine.

I wonder if his family is a big name like mirage or just some ace pilot arad knew, the galaxy is big, who knows!

It's already been established that Windermereans possess hightened physical abilities. It's the reason why they only have an average life of thirty years.

Yeah, I remember.

However it wasn't specified exactly in which way the Windermereans had hightenend physical abilities. Hence my surprise when we get to see it in action like this.

Well as said Windermere's reasoning for this war is flimsy. Bogue is basically spouting imperialism but he doesn't realize it. The twins really think things would've been better if Earthers didn't come. Cassim wants revenge for a war that they started in the first place.

A race of children who doesn't have a concept of responsibility.

I'm starting to think like Humans with Fold Receptor Factor being able to power and regenerate Protoculture bio weapons Windermereans have their own niche. Most Human Fold Receptors are just transmitters with rare case as of also receivers. Sara and Mao can sense hostility perceiving them as Kadun. Ranka, Sheryl who have access to Vajra fold wave frequency and Alto who has Fold Quartz can sense Vajra emotions. Windermereans with their Runes are both receivers and transmitters. The Protodevlin were just Fold Wave/Spiritia receivers till they learned from Basara how to transmit themselves. This is why both Keith and Bogue were in pain hearing Freyja's song. With their Runes they can sense hostility. Heinz can mind control Var infected people through his negative emotion Song Energy on the other hand Freyja's positive emotion Song Energy can make her in sync with Hayate who has Fold Quartz in his person and machine.

What I am saying Windermereans are like Marduk Emulators which is probably the reason Roid believes Windermereans are heirs of the Protoculture not realizing they were created as possible weapons by the Protoculture.

The Anima Spiritia weren't discovered until it was pretty much too late for the Protoculture as a race. The Protodevlin were feeding on negative emotion Spiritia and they realized what they needed was positive Spiritia.

I wonder if his family is a big name like mirage or just some ace pilot arad knew, the galaxy is big, who knows!

I believe it's been 24 hours since release now so I'm writing spoiler free.

Yeah, that's one of the most intriguing bits from the episode. I wonder what kind of story there's with Hayato dad and if there isn't a tie in with the colonization of Windermere and it's independence war. Or maybe he's just Isamu's love child :p

Neutral. Very predictable episode. I was surprised to see that they didn't stretch being captured over 2 episodes.

Very predictable but then you were surprised that they didn't do the capture story over 2 episodes? Which is it Roy? :)

Well as said Windermere's reasoning for this war is flimsy. Bogue is basically spouting imperialism but he doesn't realize it. The twins really think things would've been better if Earthers didn't come. Cassim wants revenge for a war that they started in the first place.

A race of children who doesn't have a concept of responsibility.

why does this sound like how some folks in Japan might still view WWII? are there parallels in Macross D's story to mirror real life events?

I love Freya's song. So we can speculate Hayate is actually related to Alto? I prefer him actually being Mirage 's long lost brother (or cousin) with human trait..who say zentradi+ human children can't have human trait?. Max is his grandfather! We never did see a male under that family line.

the songs are getting better, i love freya's song so much I just repeat that section like 10 times... Well I like bokua no senjo a lot. and the ED. Anything Ami sing..just Meh.

The whole song thing going back to Macross 7, the whole mind control being broken by song and how basara insist on not using weapon by the power of song. and finally back to more about the protoculture where macross frontier barely even mention.

Edited by tapoop

Observation to note this episode:

1) While Heinz song was always described as sharp and sad, Freyja noted in this episode they lacked color. Is this because his heart is now conflicted after seeing what Keith showed him.

2) The ruins affected the fold waves of the girls? But in what way? Freyja held her rune during this, Reina described it a heavy and sad. After replaying the scene I caught something interesting, Mikumo's hair reacted with it, their was a disturbance in her hair pattern.

3) Our heroine finally has a solid reason for singing. Her songs now have person, they have an identity. Which nobody can take from her. I hope the people who were annoyed with how Mikumo finally understand that this was what Mikumo wanted for her.

4) Mikumo didn't fully approve of Freyja when she was singing to cure the Var. She specifically reacted when Freyja was able to synchronize with Hayate. There is something more there.

The Mikumo/Freyja saga ends. The last few minutes of the show is interesting. Freyja looks out into the galaxy, Mikumo appears but rather than asking aggressively why Freyja sings like she usually does, she asks calmly. Freyja finally answers Mikumo with her strong resolve, to which Mikumo acknowledges.

I don't think we are done with Mikumo yet, but they do seem to be taking a break with her.

Positive.

My strongest reaction was to JUNNA singing in perfect English. She is seriously competing for awesomeness with her own character.

And yeah two new Walkure songs, though one was introduced in the previous episode. Cover singing is no new feat for Macross (being at the heart of M7), but introducing a new song through a cover, followed up by the actual lead singer, is a first, I think?

The triangle has just got skewed in the Freyja direction with that fold resonance, but this is definitely not over yet.

They played the father-family drama for all it's worth, and did that really well, with Freyja reacting to the impact and starting to overpower even Heinz. Song-based overpowering is also nothing new, but Basara just did that on his own, while Freyja had to react to something.

Roid seems to be a bit smug about it all. It seems that he might have his own plans, not exactly what the other Knights think?

And yes, the story seems to be establishing itself as a successor, specifically, to M7 - though I seriously doubt they'll go as far as running 49 episodes again; but Walkure following Fire Bomber with a big set of its own albums is basically a certainty now. And perhaps the quantity of new songs is also a wink at the oldtime fans - "okay, okay, we know we made a mistake with the repetitions in M7, here, we'll do it right this time!"

#TeamJUNNA and the songs are somewhat growing on me because of her sheer power, even though I would not call the music itself anything special. I would definitely like to know more about her. I started a thread and hoped the resident gurus could fill in from the stories in the Japanese media but no luck for now.

I still want JUNNA/Mikumo to sing with Fukuyama/Basara and somehow I think she would enjoy it. (I mean, he's a classic badass rocker, and she just had to be a music fan, and quite possibly a Macross fan, from the very youth to become as cool as that). Whether in-story or in-concert. And it absolutely could happen in-story because nobody established Basara is dead, and he would just be middle-age by this time.

I love Freya's song. So we can speculate Hayate is actually related to Alto? I prefer him actually being Mirage 's long lost brother (or cousin) with human trait..who say zentradi+ human children can't have human trait?. Max is his grandfather! We never did see a male under that family line.

It's probably safe to say that, apart from Mirage, none of the characters are going to turn out to be relatives of any existing ones. Kawamori has a very admirable tendency as a creator to try to make every Macross series or story as stand-alone as humanly possible, even on those occasions when two stories are both set in the same location and around the same time.1 Even Mirage, the first of the Jenius grandchildren to appear, is the child of one of the Jenius daughters who hasn't appeared in a Macross story.

That old "long-lost relative" twist is seriously lazy writing at the best of times...

1. Such as Macross 7 and Macross 7 Trash, which occur at the same time and in the same fleet, but there's almost no cast overlap apart from some peripheral involvement on Max's part and a brief cameo by Milia. Or the Macross Frontier and Macross the Ride pair, where there's basically no overlap in cast despite being set in the same fleet less than a year apart and more than one of the main characters being current or former SMS staff.

And yes, things are loading up on the "secret backgrounds" part.

Though strangely not with Freyja - she appears to be just a Windermere commoner girl. There are no references to powerful parents or anything like that.

But Mikumo's secret is still out there, and how there's "he would be proud" about Hayate too. And if this "he" was alive, wouldn't it be "he will be proud when he hears about it"? So this is about someone deceased?

Isamu was alive in 2059 but, of course, could have hit the bucket in the meantime. Yet this somehow does not seem so simple. Besides, Isamu would not have a fold quartz heirloom?

Edited by Saruta

Neutral. Very predictable episode. I was surprised to see that they didn't stretch being captured over 2 episodes.

I liked it, sure it was predictable, but it was a necessary episode. They can't all be gems you know...

Just a note on the subs before the discussion goes further, gg took some liberties with their translation (they usually do), specifically with what Arad and Mikumo said.

-Arad didn't really said "He would be proud of you" the actual line is "yoku nite yagaru ze"「よく似てやがるぜ、あの人に」, which is basically "He really resembles that person"

-Mikumo never calls Freyja a princess, so "good morning, princess" it's just gg taking liberties (before the theories about Freyja being secretly part of the Windermerian Royal family start), Mikumo just said "You finally awaken"

That's all. :)

Fold Quartz equipped Variable Fighters with Fold Receptor singers too OP please nerf.

post-9033-0-82044200-1464032372_thumb.png

post-9033-0-91167000-1464032517_thumb.png

Sketchley's Translations: Macross Chronicle Revised Ed. - Mechanic: Other UN 08A: YF-30 Chronos

Caption: The new Fold Dimensional Resonance System mechanism is built into the YF-30. It amplifies Song Energy, and the YF-30 also became able to break through the dense Fold Faults.

Caption: At the time of this aircraft's development, in addition to existing technology, it's said that parts collected from the Protoculture Ruins on the planet, and the protective weapons that guard the ruins, were also inserted into the YF-30.

Sketchley's Translations: Macross Chronicle Revised Ed. - Mechanic TF SMS 04A: YF-29 Durendal

Aircraft Explanation

The YF-29 Durendal is an aircraft that was developed with the assumption that it would be used in a decisive battle with the Vajra. The Macross The YF-29 Durendal is an aircraft that was developed under the assumption that it would be used in a decisive battle with the Vajra. The Macross Frontier Fleet and L.A.I. Co. played an important role in the development of this aircraft in the environment of the incident where the 117th Large Research Fleet had sustained a Vajra raid. It's greatest feature is the Fold Wave System, a device that uses high-purity fold quartz that exists only inside of the Vajra's bodies. As a result, it became possible to supply the craft with energy from sub-space, and coupled with 4 high-power thermonuclear reactor engines, this craft acquired an overwhelming manoeuvrability. Simultaneously, the fold quartz enabled the control of fold waves as an additional function of the Fold Wave System, and the YF-29 succeeded in interfering with the communications between the Vajra in combat.

The YF-29, YF-30 and VF-31 are pretty much the high end of VF technology. Resonating with a Fold Receptor, pilots and machine gets a boost in performance.

Additionally the Fold Wave System or Fold Wave Resonance system could explain why Keith's Rune wind detection power was disrupted with Freyja's singing.

Basically Delta Platoon has a Fold Wave NT-D System for the Aerial Knights Rune Newtype powers.

Edited by RedWolf

I saw that at the

Just a note on the subs before the discussion goes further, gg took some liberties with their translation (they usually do), specifically with what Arad and Mikumo said.
-Arad didn't really said "He would be proud of you" the actual line is "yoku nite yagaru ze"「よく似てやがるぜ、あの人に」, which is basically "He really resembles that person"
-Mikumo never calls Freyja a princess, so "good morning, princess" it's just gg taking liberties (before the theories about Freyja being secretly part of the Windermerian Royal family start), Mikumo just said "You finally awaken"
That's all. :)

I saw at the end of the episode right after the scene with Messer they (GG) posted a "random fact" statement about some of the lyrics being BS'ed due to f*&^%$# machine guns firing in the foreground preventing them from hearing certain lines.

Edited by grigolosi

I saw that at the

I saw at the end of the episode right after the scene with Messer they (GG) posted a "random fact" statement about some of the lyrics being BS'ed due to f*&^%$# machine guns firing in the foreground preventing them from hearing certain lines.

I saw that little tidbit at the end and had a good laugh. :lol: Freyja's song was beautiful and the second half of the episode rocked.

why is messi messed up?

In previous episodes, he seemed rather susceptible to the song that causes Var syndrome... which seems to work better against people who already have some manner of aggressive tendencies, like Zentradi.

I guess being on Voldor, in close proximity to the Protoculture ruins that were resonating with Heinz's song was more than he could handle.

Just watched. I was very happy with this episode. It had a little bit of everything a good Macross show normally has, except maybe some triangle work (I'm sure we'll get an episode more devoted to that in time).

The engrish song was good, but I think Azrael has it right, the ensemble songs are the weakest point for Walkure so far. Individuals have been great though. Freyja's song was fantastic and fit the mood of the scene great. I also love the first in series use of the fold resonance system (not counting the second Frontier movie with the earlier fold wave version of course). It is like taking the idea of the sound boosters and kicking it up to another level by not just amplifying the song's fold signature but giving a direct effect to a specific target (in this case Hayate).

I do have a concern though it might ultimately end up being used to give VFs abilities not physically possible before and we then will rely on the "it works by using fold super science" to explain potential breaks in newtons laws or thermodynamics. We aren't there yet really.. but I hope Kawamori doesn't go too nuts with the idea (otherwise it will just be another lambda driver ala FMP!)

Oh Messer. I guess his open wound enabled the Var chemical to affect him, even though there has been signs of his weakness before. Definitely seems he has something in his past that may make him more susceptible. The song helped him but clearly he needs some more in depth treatment since it appears to be back by the end of the episode.

I got the sense Keith was somewhat depressed Messer got Var'd, he couldn't get his proper fight. It is notable he stopped attacking Messer once he realized it.

Roid clearly wants to see more of how Walkure affect the ruins compared to Heinz. I heavily suspect he will want to eventually kidnap Freyja to help in whatever his long term plan is. Meanwhile, he and Keith are going to have to hash out the details of this fight.

Bouge, well he had it coming. He is being impetuous at best and he earned the spanking he got from Hayate.

As for Arad's comment about Hayate... I'm still not sure if that was a weird translation or not.. I'm going to wait and see before assuming anything.

Great action, good music, some character development for Freyja, a little for Hayate. Solid B+.

If that is indeed the case, then I wonder if Arad is referring to Alto.

... i mean they both have blue hair and everything.