1/60 VF-5000 3D Printing

Tage

Hey Tage!!! 

I just received mine and I'm very impressed with the print quality much better than Shapeways and thank you for all the details (booklet , stickers, pins, screws and every part in separately bags)

certainly looks a little more complex what expected but the assembly guide is very clear so I hope no problems

Once again thanks to bring to life this beautiful bird is a great addition to my collection

IMG_8110.jpg

IMG_8112.jpg

IMG_8113.JPG

IMG_8116.jpg

IMG_8117.jpg

IMG_8118.jpg

IMG_8109.JPG

Hey man. 

Ah yeah you're totally correct with all those parts.

For you guys, I gave an option for either an empty seat, or one with the pilot. In the same 'A' baggie. The pilot is already in the seat. So just pick which one. If you go no pilot option, I'd cut back those side nubs. They are just connectors to the rest of the parts. 

That top F part. There are 2 of them, again with a little connector between them. Separate them, and the instructions are always '#-R' meaning the robot's right side. So just match the correct one by looking at the instructions and piece at the same angle to figure it out. 

And that last part yes you're correct again. I don't think it matters too much with that piece which one goes where. (left or right side) Just give it a quick placement check with that wrist part to see if the hole where the hands will go is centre enough. Hope that makes sense. 

• 1 month later...
20 hours ago, Xigfrid said:

Let me guess, did you use the dye technique?

If the dye method is used, the only drawback I'm seeing is that you can't really get that completely smooth look from that type of material. Because it has a sponge-like composition, it can never be fully sanded smooth. The only way to fix that, is by painting, or filling in. What you could try, and I haven't tried this yet, is to dye the part the color you want, then put a gloss clear coat on, and sand. You'll need to repeat it until the sponge makeup is filled with gloss clear coat. Then it should look a lot smoother I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice work Valhary! It's really coming along! 

This may be because you're still assembling him... but noticing a few gaps between a few parts and this it was a little tighter on mine... just wondering if a couple things need an extra sand down just to allow the space for a few things to fit more snuggly?

First let me thank you because of course I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is nice addition for any Macross collector and looks good side by side with the other valks also the transformation works right in general terms 

In my opinion the fighter mode is the stronger

the weakest  the arms could be better and more simple also feel somewhat short but nothing to reproach (Yamato VF-4)

also I believe missing an anchor point in the chest mechanism very similar to the Yamato YF-19

but taking into consideration is based in Studio Half Eye version is an insane job

my next move is looking for a landing gear and make a stickers

Awesome! So glad you guys like it. Can't wait to see your results too DarkArchon

If the stickers i sent aren't up to scratch, send me a note and i can send on my working file of the main insignia design I recreated. I have both an Adobe Illustrator file and jpgs if you guys want to re-print or anything. 

I was able to spend some time trying out the Mission Models paint and sprayed a few parts. Their system has a Polyurethane Intermix that you add to the acrylic paint.  So far I like the way it sprays out of the airbrush.  Here is a photo of some parts along with the polished canopy and some decals I printed for it.  I'm surprised how clear the canopy turned out.  I gave it a dip in future after polishing. 

VF5000.JPG

8 hours ago, DarkArchon3000 said:

I was able to spend some time trying out the Mission Models paint and sprayed a few parts. Their system has a Polyurethane Intermix that you add to the acrylic paint.  So far I like the way it sprays out of the airbrush.  Here is a photo of some parts along with the polished canopy and some decals I printed for it.  I'm surprised how clear the canopy turned out.  I gave it a dip in future after polishing. 

VF5000.JPG

That canopy looks really clear. Well done!

Can you post the steps you took to make it like this?

I used Micro Mesh Polishing Pads.  The kit has 9 pads ranging from 1500 grit to 12000 grit. I wet sanded both sides of the cockpit with each pad for a few minutes. I polished with the 12000 grit until the pad started to fall apart. :)  I then dipped the cockpit in Pledge\Future acrylic floor polish.  I'm thinking of spraying it with a bit of Tamiya clear yellow but I need to test it on a scrap piece of clear plastic.

Pads.JPG

Wow yeah that's amazing! Can't wait to see it all together with your panel line weather/fade effects too. I'm glad the canopy has turned out like that too. Super clear. How are the rest of the parts treating you? Let me know if you have any worries putting him together. 

• 2 weeks later...