The Third Party Gundam Thread

5 hours ago, slaginpit said:

Sigh I already mentioned its coming....in two different scales. Hold your panties

1/72 & 1/100 scale is all fine and good, but I would love to see a 3P company with the gall to make a superior 1/60 scale Nu with better articulation than the official Metal Structure version.  Hell, they can even throw in a full set of fin funnels that won't cost $300 frickin dollars.  Ugh, my apologies for the rant, that's just how much I hate Bandai's nickel and diming game as of late.

15 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

1/72 & 1/100 scale is all fine and good, but I would love to see a 3P company with the gall to make a superior 1/60 scale Nu with better articulation than the official Metal Structure version.  Hell, they can even throw in a full set of fin funnels that won't cost $300 frickin dollars.  Ugh, my apologies for the rant, that's just how much I hate Bandai's nickel and diming game as of late.

Yeah 1000 plus dollars for a figure that can barely bend its arms and legs. But if they go with a 1/60 its going to raise flags like ever before Even at the $300 mark and they do a "transformer" like improvement knock-off the many people would sell their Bandai versions will have BANDAI banging down doors samurai style 

.....And I for one dont want this market to be shut down. THE AMOUNT OF GOUGING from BANDAI needs to stop. Im not one of those rich ASIANS that can simply burn money ... I want to appreciate these designs as much as any other fan. 

Afro-Samurai-2-Revenge-of-Kuma-short-loo

Edited by slaginpit

2 hours ago, slaginpit said:

Yeah 1000 plus dollars for a figure that can barely bend its arms and legs. But if they go with a 1/60 its going to raise flags like ever before Even at the $300 mark and they do a "transformer" like improvement knock-off the many people would sell their Bandai versions will have BANDAI banging down doors samurai style 

.....And I for one dont want this market to be shut down. THE AMOUNT OF GOUGING from BANDAI needs to stop. Im not one of those rich ASIANS that can simply burn money ... I want to appreciate these designs as much as any other fan. 

Afro-Samurai-2-Revenge-of-Kuma-short-loo

Agreed. The amount of money Bandai was charging for the Metal Structure Nu is just ridiculous. Seeing what 3Ps are capable of these days for a fraction of the cost is very telling. 

18 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Honestly the 1/60 scale is at least something I'd invest into considering it can fit in with existing stuff unlike 1/72. Considering a number of these 3P "metal builds" pretty much slap diecast frames into existing model kit molds it should be a given. I actually bought the Metal Structure but would still be down for a 3P iteration for the reasons you mentioned here.

8 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

Agreed. The amount of money Bandai was charging for the Metal Structure Nu is just ridiculous. Seeing what 3Ps are capable of these days for a fraction of the cost is very telling. 

I wonder how much of Bandai's price is the Gundam licence.

Am I correct that Bandai hires manufacturing firms in China to do production for them? If so, it makes a lot of sense that if these firms skip Bandai and the licencing they can put a product out at a much lower cost.

I'd be very down for some 3P MS scale units.

8 hours ago, sqidd said:

Am I correct that Bandai hires manufacturing firms in China to do production for them? If so, it makes a lot of sense that if these firms skip Bandai and the licencing they can put a product out at a much lower cost.

Bandai owns Sunrise.

Hence no licence. Unless they will charge themselves and pay for it. lol

Thats the anomaly. Its just price gouging. Someone that I recently befriended and bought some MG kits from me actually told me sometimes in China they go for 50 bucks. Fhawk me....I mean then you need to factor the gouging on the gouging if that is true and bandai is making this stuff in china. Which i think they do...need to check the box

10 hours ago, sqidd said:

The only thing that Bandai manufactures in Japan is their GunPla. The rest are in China.

2 hours ago, F360 said:

There is also planing and development cost too. And that is not cheap , especially  if it’s a big company like Bandai.  

I design other things for a living so I "get" the process. I would love a sneak peak at how it works in the toy world.

I'm getting bored doing what I do. I'd like to take on the challenge of designing a toy.

3 minutes ago, slaginpit said:

shouldnt that be the opposite?

You would think. But usually it's the opposite. When you add more people/department/layers/etc things get really inefficient and expensive. "Lumbering" is the word that comes to mind when I hear the horror stories that come out of big design firms. 10,000 meeting to decide on what length bolt is going to be used.

4 minutes ago, sqidd said:

You would think. But usually it's the opposite. When you add more people/department/layers/etc things get really inefficient and expensive. "Lumbering" is the word that comes to mind when I hear the horror stories that come out of big design firms. 10,000 meeting to decide on what length bolt is going to be used.

Hmm i come from the application development world. Many different people working on many different projects. But in terms of big organizations the bloat can be used in different projects thus being more efficient and bigger companies can absorb loss leaders...a group of people working on designs is much more riskier - in these companies

Edited by slaginpit

12 minutes ago, slaginpit said:

Hmm i come from the application development world. Many different people working on many different projects. But in terms of big organizations the bloat can be used in different projects thus being more efficient and bigger companies can absorb loss leaders...a group of people working on designs is much more riskier - in these companies

You've probably witnessed something unusually efficient then.

I would have kept my Metal Structure Nu preorder if it was a complete item with fin funnels. Finding out that I would have to shell out another $300+ just for that accessory on top of an already super expensive item was just too much.

F U Bandai and your nickel & dime shenanigans.

9 hours ago, Graham said:

If there is a third Party Nu Gundam coming, 1/100 scale is fine for me. 

If they can make a figure out of the Real Grade, I would jump on it. For the longest time, I am really tempted to get it but I dont since I am sure the runner will sit on the box since I can barely build anything now.

5 hours ago, eXis10z said:

It's highly detailed in terms of paint, decals, internal structure, has diecast, etc and is priced accordingly to target niche collectors and obviously big fans of Nu. If you are not a big fan of Nu you really wouldn't spend that much on it.

that statement could not be anymore false. 

Carry On 

6 hours ago, eXis10z said:

It's highly detailed in terms of paint, decals, internal structure, has diecast, etc and is priced accordingly to target niche collectors and obviously big fans of Nu. If you are not a big fan of Nu you really wouldn't spend that much on it.

If I'm a big fan of the Nu, I'd be disappointed at this. For the price, they could have figured out to incorporate MB-esque articulation while having it remain as detailed. If this were to be the centerpiece of Gundam displays, it falls short just because of that.

Lights are nice but how often does one display their collectibles with the lights on all, if not, most of the time? The first thing I do for any collectible with LEDs, I check if they're all working, maybe take some photos with all of it on, and then remove all the batteries to prevent corrosion whether it's displayed or in storage. :/

2 hours ago, crackpot said:

Lights are nice but how often does one display their collectibles with the lights on all, if not, most of the time? The first thing I do for any collectible with LEDs, I check if they're all working, maybe take some photos with all of it on, and then remove all the batteries to prevent corrosion whether it's displayed or in storage. :/

I've never put batteries in anything I have. I'd turn the lights on one and go, "Oh neat". Then take the batteries out.

Now if I could get all of my toys with lights to turn on with the same remote control.......

2 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Nu Gundam should always have assymetric Fin funnels. The double set should always be something optional. Anyway, I'm not the target market so I should stop.

I didn't order the Metal Structure Nu. I just want to share my thoughts on the Double Fin Funnels. ^_^

For me the Double Fin Funnels is just an option for completing the Nu set. But I really don't like it on the Nu. But I didn't have problems having all the funnels with the Hi-Nu. I guess, it has something to do on how it was mounted on Nu for me not to like both sides have big panel looking thing on the back. :) 

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I've never put batteries in anything I have. I'd turn the lights on one and go, "Oh neat". Then take the batteries out.

Now if I could get all of my toys with lights to turn on with the same remote control.......

Some day it'll happen...with or without the remote...and with/without Alexa.

Those wireless LED displays are pretty nifty but still limited in functionality and range. 

In 10 years we're going to have to replace all our collectibles with the next greatest/biggest/baddest thing that has wireless cosmic matter powered lights. So you might as well let all your current batteries leak away in the meantime. /s.

13 hours ago, crackpot said:

If I'm a big fan of the Nu, I'd be disappointed at this. For the price, they could have figured out to incorporate MB-esque articulation while having it remain as detailed. If this were to be the centerpiece of Gundam displays, it falls short just because of that.

Articulation is evidently not the focus of this figure. it's like a statue which collectors have no qualms paying the same or more amount of money . Given its size, weight and the lack of a suitable base I wouldn't dare to put it in any flying or outrageous pose in the first place.

The retail price, not the scalper price, isn't outrageous. Get a PG equivalent, put in the man hours, effort and skill to mod it to similar level, throw in diecast and see how much you are willing to sell it for. Extensively modded gunpla models sell for way more regularly on yahoo Japan.

The fact that it sold out fast and there are member/s here who bought it just means the price is reasonable enough for them to pull the trigger.

I bought it and dual funnels too. Not a fan of price gouging but I don’t want this line to be a flop either. I’d love to see more 1/60th scale gundams out there from any maker. Hopefully Bandai and other third party makers here the fans, realize that there’s a market here, and make adjustments/plans accordingly. 

4 hours ago, sqidd said:

The Kampfer is already on the pricey side, thankfully I got in at pre-order price or I'd probably be skipping it. I think these lights are too much $ for glorified Xmas lights. They don't really 'do it' for me.

38 minutes ago, mog_kupo said:

Guys, any thoughts on the Kshatriya from Metal Club?

The red version has a small discount on Show Z store and Im thinking if I should get one

I have the Steel Legend version and it's awesome. I think the popular opinion is Metal Club is slightly better, from youtube comments and what-not...it's like 51% MC vs 49% SL.

Check out some youtube reviews and it'll definitely push you over if you're currently on the fence and have an interest: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Metal+Club+Kshatriya

1 hour ago, mog_kupo said:

Guys, any toughts on the Kshatriya from Metal Club?

The red version has a samll discount on Show Z store and Im thinking if I should get one

I actually just got this last month. To be honest it's a beast of a figure. The paint apps for very good. The only thing I found on my was the back skirt wasn't the tightest fit. To put the feet and arms  on was tough on mine. Mainly because It was super tight and once there in their not coming back off. For me I just wish I didn't wait this long to pick it up lol. I think the red version comes with the gun add on, if it does I would highly recommend picking it up while it's on discount.

1 hour ago, mog_kupo said:

Guys, any toughts on the Kshatriya from Metal Club?

The red version has a samll discount on Show Z store and Im thinking if I should get one

A beast of a figure. I have the green version and everything fits together very nicely with get printed details on the figure. Chunkier than the steel legend figure if that is your thing.