The Third Party Gundam Thread

Oh man, i take everything back...please don't buy this piece of c..p.

I tried to transform it tonight and well, i failed miserably. And i have been transforming Variable fighter since 2001...so i think i can say i have a little bit of experience with this kind of toys. It's a floppy mess, parts don't fit, joints became loose all of sudden...it just falls apart not matter what you do. Plus, now it has scratches all over and even if i could transform it back to MS mode it's not gonna look good. Last time i buy a third party toy. So upset right now.

7 hours ago, Ryoma said:

I tried to transform it tonight and well, i failed miserably. And i have been transforming Variable fighter since 2001...so i think i can say i have a little bit of experience with this kind of toys. It's a floppy mess, parts don't fit, joints became loose all of sudden...it just falls apart not matter what you do. Plus, now it has scratches all over and even if i could transform it back to MS mode it's not gonna look good. Last time i buy a third party toy. So upset right now.

Sorry to hear that, Ryoma. :( 

Mine is still taking its sweet time traveling across the states. Not complaining since it's free shipping from ShowZ. Departed Shanghai last July 17. Landed at JFK NY on the 18th. Today it's in Illinois. Probably in the next 7 days, it will be here in California. :search:

9 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Oh no. I have this on the way here.

Just keep it in Mobile suit mode. It looks cool, sort of a KA version of 2.0 MG. Slightly smaller scale than the other 1/100 MS. I did another attempt this morning and i feel i am almost there, but still not happy about the look and the overall feeling. Gonna post pictures later on, i promise. 

14 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Oh man that blows. I wouldn't let one bad experience with a 3rd party piece deter you away. I would just wait for reviews to come out to see if the toy is up to snuff especially from an unknown 3P company like this one making the Zeta gundam. 

1 hour ago, SuperHobo said:

Oh man that blows. I wouldn't let one bad experience with a 3rd party piece deter you away. I would just wait for reviews to come out to see if the toy is up to snuff especially from an unknown 3P company like this one making the Zeta gundam. 

Yeah i know, you are right... I am just really bitter now. I was really counting on this release to be at the same level of all my others 1/100 models from Z gundam(i actually own all of them, all the ones from the AEUG i mean). So i was planning to keep this one in wave rider mode, since i don't feel comfortable in transforming my Z MG. Oh well, things got better  today. I spent another couple of hours on it and it looks almost acceptable now. The problem is that it has a lot of scratches now and if i ever want to turn it again in Mobile suit it's just not gonna look good.

22 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Don't write off all 3rd party figures. Many are great for the price, like those from Metal Club / Muscle Bear, and some can be better than Bandai's original releases, like those from Moshow / Poison Toys / Vientiane Toys. You just have to keep an eye on the reviews before pulling the trigger on another figure.

1 hour ago, JakCrow said:

Don't write off all 3rd party figures. Many are great for the price, like those from Metal Club / Muscle Bear, and some can be better than Bandai's original releases, like those from Moshow / Poison Toys / Vientiane Toys. You just have to keep an eye on the reviews before pulling the trigger on another figure.

Do you think the mc strike freedom is worth getting? Havent seen any review of deactive mode

9 hours ago, Ryoma said:

Yeah i know, you are right... I am just really bitter now. I was really counting on this release to be at the same level of all my others 1/100 models from Z gundam(i actually own all of them, all the ones from the AEUG i mean). So i was planning to keep this one in wave rider mode, since i don't feel comfortable in transforming my Z MG. Oh well, things got better  today. I spent another couple of hours on it and it looks almost acceptable now. The problem is that it has a lot of scratches now and if i ever want to turn it again in Mobile suit it's just not gonna look good.

I know what you mean.  I really wanted this Zeta gundam to be good since Bandai seems to not want to touch a high end Zeta gundam release. 

3 hours ago, Numbninja said:

Do you think the mc strike freedom is worth getting? Havent seen any review of deactive mode

I picked up the mc strike freedom 2 weeks ago and it is fantastic. All the joints were tight(some a little too tight) and the paint was perfect. If the deactive mode is anything like the regular release then I say it's worth it.

37 minutes ago, dragonstar1982 said:

I picked up the mc strike freedom 2 weeks ago and it is fantastic. All the joints were tight(some a little too tight) and the paint was perfect. If the deactive mode is anything like the regular release then I say it's worth it.

Thank u sir

3 hours ago, dragonstar1982 said:

It was regular mc sf, or soul blue one?

Today the Kshatriya's ammo arriwed to me. It looking nice and gorgeus, but i miss one moment - there are 4 belt but only two ammo box with two place for the ammo belt.

Spoiler

IMG_20190803_221418.jpg

IMG_20190803_222739.jpg

Anothers two belts should be connection the guns with each other but i didn't insert it yet.

Spoiler

IMG_20190804_100222.jpg

Edited by doomgart

18 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Wow! Sazabi is already sold out at ShowZ. I wasn’t aware that it was already available for preorder. 

https://showzstore.com/pre-order-jianggao-model-jg-mg-1-100-mb-msn-04-msn04-sazabi-mobile-suit-gundam-metal-build-ver-ka_p1552.html

B98F9431-29BA-4ECB-8684-E45D2D829CAA.jpeg.a8dccb392584b2cd3566914c629e445a.jpeg

D98C6E7E-7703-4984-8347-93D4BE54E16D.jpeg.07b9d4d7373c396b441a1b5a0b8f4398.jpeg

They will have more in stock for preorder soon. I just wonder what the final quality will be as this seems to be the first release for this third party company.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Wow! Sazabi is already sold out at ShowZ. I wasn’t aware that it was already available for preorder. 

https://showzstore.com/pre-order-jianggao-model-jg-mg-1-100-mb-msn-04-msn04-sazabi-mobile-suit-gundam-metal-build-ver-ka_p1552.html

B98F9431-29BA-4ECB-8684-E45D2D829CAA.jpeg.a8dccb392584b2cd3566914c629e445a.jpeg

D98C6E7E-7703-4984-8347-93D4BE54E16D.jpeg.07b9d4d7373c396b441a1b5a0b8f4398.jpeg

This could potentially be another dream toy for me, but I have never heard of this company before and so I will be on the sidelines waiting. 

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

For those whose interested on Steel Legend Kshatriya, it’s on sale at ShowZ for $199.99 from $279.99.

https://showzstore.com/steel-legend-1-100-sl-01-sl01-nz-666-kshatriya-gundam-unicorn-metal-build-style_p0923.html

F731DFF1-6BB6-41FB-A18A-9854A93C802F.thumb.jpeg.8bb2cf39f47682d2eecabb68affee5ba.jpeg

I urge everyone who was on the fence, to pick it up at that price. Great piece with a hell of a presence. 

On 8/2/2019 at 4:21 PM, Numbninja said:

I have the regular MC Strike Freedom and it's totally worth it. The deactivated version should be the same as the release I have except for the color. You can also search around and find the standard color, the sapphire color version, and the pearl coating version in a few places. Here's the pearl coating version for $160usd

https://ohmyprimus.com/mc-strikefreedom.html

Edited by JakCrow

On 8/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, SuperHobo said:

This could potentially be another dream toy for me, but I have never heard of this company before and so I will be on the sidelines waiting. 

I urge everyone who was on the fence, to pick it up at that price. Great piece with a hell of a presence. 

Oh My Primus has the Sazabi for pre-order right now. Full price will be $175usd when it's released

https://ohmyprimus.com/jgmszb.html

On 8/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, SuperHobo said:

I originally had pre-ordered the Steel Legend release, but when I saw a review for it and the MC version, I went with the MC version instead, which IMO is the better figure. It comes with a stand, funnel FX parts, and the figure details are fantastic. My figure came with the arm mounted gatling guns, and add in the gatling gun w/ sub arms option pack and I believe it basically blows the SL figure out if the water. It's also going for $190 on Gundam Central right now

29 minutes ago, JakCrow said:

I originally had pre-ordered the Steel Legend release, but when I saw a review for it and the MC version, I went with the MC version instead, which IMO is the better figure. It comes with a stand, funnel FX parts, and the figure details are fantastic. My figure came with the arm mounted gatling guns, and add in the gatling gun w/ sub arms option pack and I believe it basically blows the SL figure out if the water. It's also going for $190 on Gundam Central right now

I think both options are good for Kshatriya. The SL version has better proportions in my eyes. I wasn't too fond of the overdetailed sculpt of the MC and I believed it would not fit in with my other metal build/ GFFMC collection. The extra weapons and stand of the MC version definitely was a great cherry on top.  Having 2 options for a high-end kshatriya back in 2010 would have blew my mind. 

1 hour ago, JakCrow said:

I agree with you, the detaile of the MC one looking nice, and for me there are no any disgarmonic with the regular MC or MB i think.

And with additional ammo belts it looking badass!

3 hours ago, SuperHobo said:

I think both options are good for Kshatriya. The SL version has better proportions in my eyes. I wasn't too fond of the overdetailed sculpt of the MC and I believed it would not fit in with my other metal build/ GFFMC collection. The extra weapons and stand of the MC version definitely was a great cherry on top.  Having 2 options for a high-end kshatriya back in 2010 would have blew my mind. 

I think the lack of a stand really killed the SL for me.

There's a full armor set coming out for it that's up for pre-order right now.

https://showzstore.com/pre-order-steel-legend-sl-upgrade-kit-for-sl-01-sl01-nz-666-kshatriya-gundam-unicorn_p1473.html

Edited by JakCrow

12 hours ago, Sandman said:

Do you need to pay up front with them?

If ever you hadn’t check the ohmyprimus link provided, there’s an option to pay a deposit of S$30 via Paypal. And since it’s Paypal, then the deposit will be paid upfront.

Edited by no3Ljm

19 hours ago, JakCrow said:

I think the lack of a stand really killed the SL for me.

There's a full armor set coming out for it that's up for pre-order right now.

https://showzstore.com/pre-order-steel-legend-sl-upgrade-kit-for-sl-01-sl01-nz-666-kshatriya-gundam-unicorn_p1473.html

A stand would have been nice, but the struts to hold it up would probably have to be made out of metal since the SL is pretty damn heavy. The weapon set is neat, but for the most part those weapons did not appear in the OVA so I'm happy with the stock SL. 

So I finally able to open my Tomemei Cita (Zeta Gundam) today. I've got to confirm what @Ryoma posted a few days were all true. Don't get me wrong though. I really like what I'm seeing here. A good clean finish. Though it can easily get rub from painted areas during transformation. The remedy I can think of is that to use a white 'Staedler' eraser to remove those paint rubs. Also, if only all the joints are tight esp on the crotch mechanism area, it would've been nice. Wish they also added extra locking tabs in between mode so it would line up everything during transformation.

All in all, I'm not upset about the purchase. But it's true that of all the 3P Gundam Metal figures that I bought, this is the weakest one. But it doesn't stop me from wishing they would make a White Unicorn unit in the future with some fixes. :)

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

So I finally able to open my Tomemei Cita (Zeta Gundam) today. I've got to confirm what @Ryoma posted a few days were all true. Don't get me wrong though. I really like what I'm seeing here. A good clean finish. Though it can easily get rub from painted areas during transformation. The remedy I can think of is that to use a white 'Staedler' eraser to remove those paint rubs. Also, if only all the joints are tight esp on the crotch mechanism area, it would've been nice. Wish they also added extra locking tabs in between mode so it would line up everything during transformation.

All in all, I'm not upset about the purchase. But it's true that of all the 3P Gundam Metal figures that I bought, this is the weakest one. But it doesn't stop me from wishing they would make a White Unicorn unit in the future with some fixes. :)

You got exactly my point! I am happy with the look of it, at least in Mobile suit mode but when you try to transform it that's when the problems start. I don't regret buying it but if you do i suggest you just don't transform it. And thanks for the suggestion on how to erase the rubs....i will definitely give it a try.:acute:

2 hours ago, kajnrig said:

So you were saying that it looks basically like a MG Zeta 2.0, but is the parts makeup also similar? Did they just take maybe the inner frame, say, and recast it in metal?

Hey @kajnrig. To answer your question, yes, in MS mode, it really resembles the MG Zeta 2.0. However, inner frame-wise, it's not a direct copy nor a recast of the MG inner frame. IMO, they kind of simplify how complex the MG inner frame kit is when it transforms. I compared how the Tomemei locks from the MG Zeta 2.0 photos I found at Dalong since I don't have my kits here in the US.

The MG locks betters due to small clips, tabs and whatnot which the Tomemei doesn't. So both modes of Tomemei suffers unless we need to fix or tighten the joints. But since they all moves, swings, and folds, the joints are all with pins. So it's not going to be easy to tighten it up like if the joints have screws. The only way I could think of is to use a drop of Superglue and move it until it hardens a little bit.

7 hours ago, Ryoma said:

You got exactly my point! I am happy with the look of it, at least in Mobile suit mode but when you try to transform it that's when the problems start. I don't regret buying it but if you do i suggest you just don't transform it. And thanks for the suggestion on how to erase the rubs....i will definitely give it a try.:acute:

Too bad I really like transforming my toy from time to time. I might buy another one if it goes on sale. If not, then I'll try to fix those joints somehow. As for the eraser thing, just rub it lightly since it might affect the area more.

Here's to hoping in spite of the figure loose joints, they consider to do the White Unicorn unit. But wish that they don't do too pink on it. ;)