Aoshima VFG

TMBounty_Hunter

So I just slapped together one of the 31As recently, and went together pretty cleanly.  Figure is fine, don't know why they're cats, but it's a decent Figma-ish figure.

Valk itself is a pretty nice mold, and will need a lot of painting, but holds together pretty well.  The stand socket underneath happens to fit your typical HMR-compatible stand, so that's definitely a plus.  I think the wing panels need a better snap/latch though, since they're just laying against the legs, and like to flip up on their hinges if you bump them.  Definitely a decent mold of the 31, with a few proportional tweaks to the legs and gunpod/weapons pack area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It took me some time but today I managed to finish the VF31-D Skuld fighter at least :) Perhaps I start with the VF Girl tomorrow as well when I find the time.

The VF-31D is by now the eye-catcher between my two other VFG VF-31. Now Bandai, please give us a 1/60 DX version of the Skuld!!!

IMG_9718.thumb.jpeg.ef95767278f748f32aed34fc6b758ee3.jpegIMG_9721.thumb.jpeg.613ed3c36d6bafa1df3aff6306215252.jpegIMG_9725.thumb.jpeg.d873c039df24cecebdb8ca199cdf9d23.jpegIMG_9724.thumb.jpeg.0ab058c1c0fcd594994b446e3c573886.jpeg

IMG_9719.thumb.jpeg.12d2572517fc9490e1c5d9b55f952920.jpegIMG_9726.thumb.jpeg.a750124ec25bc36bb2e53cf15520c8e1.jpegIMG_9730.thumb.jpeg.eadf38c83eb9b5573e17149849c279c4.jpeg

Love the 31-D:wub:

On 8/12/2019 at 11:27 PM, ChristopherB said:

Latest additions to my collection! I appreciate you looking and let me know if you have any questions/comments.  :lol:

Macross Expo & Model Graphix & Decals.jpg

Dude! Congratulations on acquiring the much coveted YF-19 special:yahoo:

17 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Wow, that  VF-31D really pops! Congrats.

16 hours ago, tekering said:

This is fabulous, clean work, and it really makes me wish Aoshima had given these kits proper cockpits.

The panel-lining is sublime.  :wub:

Thank you guys! And I agree it would have been cool if Aoshima had included the option to build it for display in fighter mode with a real cockpit and perhaps even with some landing gear.

I just got my kit from HLJ as well, so time to start slapping it together. ^_^ I think my only real gripe about the fighter mode is that the wings need some sort of latch to lock into the legs... which, now that I think about it, might not be hard to add.  I did the same sort of mod to a couple of my 1/72 VF-25 kits, so it might work well here too.

Great job, CrossAir! I forget, are these supposed to be modified X-Gears for regular size pilots? Or modified Valkyries for macronized pilots? Either way probably works...

Although, given those eye decals, I'm surprised I haven't seen one painted up as Cattra yet.

On 10/28/2019 at 4:10 PM, Kelsain said:

Great job, CrossAir! I forget, are these supposed to be modified X-Gears for regular size pilots? Or modified Valkyries for macronized pilots? Either way probably works...

Although, given those eye decals, I'm surprised I haven't seen one painted up as Cattra yet.

Modified X-Gear, they are used in racing competitions according to the inserts.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm thinking supers personally, a lot of the apparently leg bulk is probably just from the outboard jet engine and how the legs open up.

Then again, might be armored, there's something that might be the ball-mounted laser cannons in that backpack mess.

I see no additional pack at all. It's only the silhouette of the backpack with the Battroid arms/shoulders in front as well as the unfolded engine compartments at the leg section. I assume differences will be the sniper rifle, the head/antennaes and parts of the girl.

Edited by CrossAir

It looks kinda like there's super-boosters in the backpack kibble.

Also the tweet that went with the image is:

Spoiler

#マクロスモデラーズ

#SHOWROOM

昨日の #VFガール 新作シルエットクイズは妄想が捗ったかな⁉️

答えは2/9ワンダーフェスティバルにて‼️

圧倒的ボリューム、更なる進化に目が離せないだぞ~これは要チェックだな

#アオシマ

Which translates to:

#Macross modelers

#SHOWROOM

Did yesterday's #VF Girl new silhouette quiz improve my delusion?

The answer is at the 2/9 Wonder Festival

Overwhelming volume, keep an eye on further evolution-this is a must check

#Aoshima

The bits about "overwhelming volume" and "further evolution" seem to hint that it's more than just a VF-25G version.

If they make an armored VF-25F, wielding Michael's sniper rifle, and with the girl being Sheryl...

Well, I'ma need at least 2 if they do that.

If it was Bandai rather than Aoshima then they'd definitely do it, with a Black Bunny Sheryl as a P-Bandai release.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about buying one of these VFG's and decided to look through the previous pages to see what people think, and I think I'll still get one. :)

I noticed a common complaint I see people asking "Why swimsuits?" I think it might have something to do with invoking the Race Queen look or corporate sponsor "Budweiser girl" type look.

I'm not going to knock the figures, because they're well crafted, and easy to put together, but the entire reason I picked any of these up was to get more 31As. :lol:  The fact that they're so close in scale to HMRs is just a bonus, and I barely see a reason to display these in anything but fighter mode.

The figures are just kind of a side project that I might use for something somewhere down the road, but I'm not huge on character models or figures.