Soul Caliber II today!

Hoptimus

What Soul Caliber II verson are you buying?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What Soul Caliber II verson are you buying?

• Xbox with Spawn
    • PS2 with Heihachi
    • Gamecube with Link

Ok, To anyone that has both th GC and PS2 versions which Plays better. I could care less about the special character, and I know the GC version has better graphics than the PS2. :ph34r:

If you have an arcade stick they all play the same. The only differances are the special charicters and the Graphics. Here is my Breakdown

1.)PS2 Good but has slowdown occasionally and IMO Heihachi is a waste

2.)GCN Great. Much faster loading,better graphics, 480 P rog Scan,Link is a better charicter

3.)XBOX Great,Fast loading,best graphics,5.1 Digital Sound,480P and 720P,Spawn is a great charicter.

I say buy the Cube or Xbox versions. The thing that sucks about the Cube version is that if you want to use a stick you have to buy one since none of the controller adapters let you use digital sticks on the cube. Only Dual Shock2 Pads.

Tight, Thank MMX, I'll get the GC version and see if I can get used to that controler for fighting games. I don't have and won't buy a X-box so that version is not a option

Don't worry about it.... Namco made the button placement custom fit for the GC so you won't have much trouble playing it.

Ok, To anyone that has both th GC and PS2 versions which Plays better. I could care less about the special character, and I know the GC version has better graphics than the PS2. :ph34r:

The PS2 has some terrible loading times in weapon master mode. There is some slowdown. And like MMX said Heihachi is just a waste. It doesn't feel right at all. Necrid is a waste too but he is in all versions. The only real advantge the PS2 has over the GC, is the controller. No one will be able to convince me that the GC contoller is good for this game.

The PS2 has some terrible loading times in weapon master mode. There is some slowdown. And like MMX said Heihachi is just a waste. It doesn't feel right at all. Necrid is a waste too but he is in all versions. The only real advantge the PS2 has over the GC, is the controller. No one will be able to convince me that the GC contoller is good for this game.

Well... this isn't a 2D fighter.... 3D fighter usually don't require much Dpad work. I guess the solution would be to go out, fetch the SC2 GC demo disk and give it a spin yourself. :)

If you have an Xbox, get the Xbox version. I don't want to hear this "The Xbox controller sucks" because the Controller S doesn't. Maybe the big one, but I've logged 20 hours in on the Xbox version with a controller S, and it's smooth like butter. The Gamecube version looses out because the controller sucks. I played the Cube version at work a lot, and it in no way shape or form works for SCII, unless you really like the big A button a lot, or you can play with the analog stick because the D-pad is just poorly sized and poorly placed. Still, get the Gamecube version if you don't have an Xbox. The only reason to get SCII for PS2 is if it's all you got. You need another videogame to play just to keep entertained during the ridiculous load times.

As far as the exclusive characters go, yes, Heihachi is a waste, but I've got to tell you, I'm not thrilled with Spawn, either. I haven't played as Link, but let's face it... most of the single-player game is going to be in the Weapon Master mode, and you're going to use your favorite/best character(s) in WM mode. I kinda doubt that Heihachi, Spawn, or Link make that list. For me, it's Yunsung, Kilik, Maxi, and Talim.

For those of you saying that you're going to skip SCII and just replay SC on your Dreamcasts, knock yourselves out, but I think you're doing youselves a disservice. Yeah, Soul Calibur was a groundbreaking game that was ahead of it's time. And yes, Soul Calibur II is not so groundbreaking. Does that mean that SCII is inferior to the original? Hardly. It just shows how far games have come since the Dreamcast launch. Soul Calibur II doesn't blow me away the way the original did because there are a ton of great-looking, great playing games around today. Soul Calibur was simply the best-looking game on a console period when it came out, and the deepest fighting game for it's time. SCII might not be as groundbreaking, but it still improved over the original.

If you have an Xbox, get the Xbox version. I don't want to hear this "The Xbox controller sucks" because the Controller S doesn't.

Nope, the S controller is way better than the OG.

Maybe the big one, but I've logged 20 hours in on the Xbox version with a controller S, and it's smooth like butter.  The Gamecube version looses out because the controller sucks.  I played the Cube version at work a lot, and it in no way shape or form works for SCII, unless you really like the big A button a lot, or you can play with the analog stick because the D-pad is just poorly sized and poorly placed.  Still, get the Gamecube version if you don't have an Xbox.  The only reason to get SCII for PS2 is if it's all you got.  You need another videogame to play just to keep entertained during the ridiculous load times.

Some people just like to whine. I seriously have no problems whatsoever on the gamecube controller. I've been dealing with all kinds of different controllers over the years being a fighting game fanatic and I honestly have no problem with it. In fact, on the GC controller its EASIER to do K + A moves. The only real problem with it is the B + G .. and that's just a throw... so boohoo. I've been playing on my AirFlo controller for a while because of its bigger cross pad and I played on a vanilla GC controller the other night and I could still pull off every move flawlessly.

As far as the exclusive characters go, yes, Heihachi is a waste, but I've got to tell you, I'm not thrilled with Spawn, either.  I haven't played as Link, but let's face it... most of the single-player game is going to be in the Weapon Master mode, and you're going to use your favorite/best character(s) in WM mode.  I kinda doubt that Heihachi, Spawn, or Link make that list.  For me, it's Yunsung, Kilik, Maxi, and Talim.

And we know Single Player is the thing now... :rolleyes:

For those of you saying that you're going to skip SCII and just replay SC on your Dreamcasts, knock yourselves out, but I think you're doing youselves a disservice.  Yeah, Soul Calibur was a groundbreaking game that was ahead of it's time.  And yes, Soul Calibur II is not so groundbreaking.  Does that mean that SCII is inferior to the original?  Hardly.  It just shows how far games have come since the Dreamcast launch.  Soul Calibur II doesn't blow me away the way the original did because there are a ton of great-looking, great playing games around today.  Soul Calibur was simply the best-looking game on a console period when it came out, and the deepest fighting game for it's time.  SCII might not be as groundbreaking, but it still improved over the original.

Hear hear!

The Gamecube version looses out because the controller sucks.

I'm sorry but the Gamecube controller does just fine with Soul Calibur 2 (I have all three versions). I've already finished finding everything in the Cube version of the game (16hours... whew) and didn't have any trouble with any moves with the Cube controller. The S controller d-pad imho, is not well made for fighters, especially ones that require diagonal motions (do a fireball motion in Capcom Vs. SNK 2 with it and you'll know what I mean). Also the buttons on the S controller are a little stiff so you have to push down on them with a little force. If I had my choice I would of put the old XBox "Chunky" controller d-pad on the S controller, because it's looser and it gives you a little better diagonal motion. Right now the only good controller for SC2 is the dual shock 2.

I don't know why people rail on the PS2's loading times so much, it's hardly a big deal and not worth pissing and moaning about, it just means you have more time to take another sip or eat another Cheeze-it before the next fight. Though the slow downs do get on my nerve a little.

LOL... you eat while you play? My biggest pet peeve is having greasy controllers. I hate when they get sticky. :angry:

LOL... you eat while you play? My biggest pet peeve is having greasy controllers. I hate when they get sticky. :angry:

Yeah sometimes I'm eating something while I'm playing, if it's snack food I always have a damp paper towel around, I hate greasy controlers too.

Ah! Ok. Ppl used to call me the controller tyrant because I would always go beserk when they got my DC pad full of chinese food and stuff. <_<

Ah! Ok. Ppl used to call me the controller tyrant because I would always go beserk when they got my DC pad full of chinese food and stuff. <_<

Yeah I'm kind of neurotic about my conrolers too, I used to go off on my brother over the way he wraped the cord around the controler. I always end up cleaning it every other week or so.

Yeah I'm kind of neurotic about my conrolers too, I used to go off on my brother over the way he wraped the cord around the controler. I always end up cleaning it every other week or so.

LOL! I also hate when ppl wrap the cords around the controllers. <_<

That... and how they simply drop the controllers on the floor out of nowhere when they are tired of playing. :angry:

I hate that, I'm walking along and just about trip over them. What I really hate is sweaty controllers. I get passed a controller and its all sweaty. I would have to take a couple of mins to dry off the controller and in that time get my butt kicked.

I've only played GC, but I think the controller's fine. If anything, I don't like the thumbstick. (It's in the "too sensitive along one axis" category---down requires STRAIGHT down 180, but downleft and downright go from like 95-175, and 185-265) At least for me, but I've always had problems with straight down in SC games.

I'm considering getting a US version again, for I really like collecting weapons and reading the descriptions--but I can't do that with the JP version. (Also an english movelist would help a lot)

Might as well post my fave/best characters:

Seung Mina, Nightmare, Xinghua, Sophitia, Mitsurugi, Ivy. In about that order. (First 3 used WAY more often than the others).

Hwang's my overall fave, but he's not here...

Edited by David Hingtgen

Lets see... my top characters are -

Mitsurugi

Ivy

Seung Mina

Kilik

Nightmare

Astaroth

Sophitia

Taki

As for the rest; I'm pretty good with them too... but the above characters I absolutely OWN with. ;)

Top character

Nightmare/Siegfried, people hated me at the local arcade I'd go to between classes.

Used to kick royal ass, but now need to build my skills back up...

Sophitia

Cervantes

Seug Mina

Mitsurugi

I hate that, I'm walking along and just about trip over them.  What I really hate is sweaty controllers.  I get passed a controller and its all sweaty.  I would have to take a couple of mins to dry off the controller and in that time get my butt kicked.

Yeah!! Thats why I love my Wavebird so much... not more controller tripping for me. :)

My favorite character are Seung Mina and Taki. I play well with Ivy too. Average with Sophitia and Xinghua(sp).

I wish they had put net play in the game. While I hate multiplayer games, its hard to find someone who is willing to play Soul Calibur. Most of the fighting game players I know, after being beaten once on SC would ask me to play Tekken or DOA instead. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!