Soul Caliber II today!

Hoptimus

What Soul Caliber II verson are you buying?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What Soul Caliber II verson are you buying?

• Xbox with Spawn
    • PS2 with Heihachi
    • Gamecube with Link

Guys, buy at Gamestop, because I work there!  Gamestop is cooler than EB anyway. ;)

I got the Xbox version.  In addtion to having Heihachi for a lame bonus character, the PS2 has slowdown and nasty load times.  As for Gamecube... Link is cool, but NOT my favorite character.  And the Controller S beats the Wavebird for fighters.

The art book is a very nice freebie, but beware Voldo's page...

Bah! The Xbox controller sucks at anything period. The GC controller is much better..... except for fighting games, but then again... both are bad fro fighting games. <_<

But you are right.... Gamestop is better then EBworld.

If you're talking about the original Xbox controller, sure, I'd agree with you. But the newer Controller S? I prefer it for most games, even over the PS2's Dual Shock 2.

Guys, buy at Gamestop, because I work there!  Gamestop is cooler than EB anyway. ;)

I got the Xbox version.  In addtion to having Heihachi for a lame bonus character, the PS2 has slowdown and nasty load times.  As for Gamecube... Link is cool, but NOT my favorite character.  And the Controller S beats the Wavebird for fighters.

The art book is a very nice freebie, but beware Voldo's page...

Now that Gamestop has changed there return policy (again) <_< Gamestop and EB are exactly the same again. Since I can't return games I don't like anymore. I'll go to fry's or Best Buy since they are always cheaper. :ph34r:

Sorry! The reason for the change in the return policy is because if you bought a game, played it for a day and returned it because it sucked, we'd shrink wrap it and sell it as new, because it basically was and because we'd lose a lot of money if we refunded full price but had to sell it as used. I don't think most of us hear would mind to buy a "new" game that might have been played one time in exchange for being able to return a crappy game, especially since you can return defective games if re-wrapped game didn't work. But you know, somebody always ruins it for everyone, right? In this case, that someone sued. Gamestop may been one of the biggest retailers of videogames, but we really don't have the financial resources of Wal-Mart or Best Buy, so it hit us hard. The change in the return policy was inevitable after that.

always cheaper. :ph34r:

Sorry! The reason for the change in the return policy is because if you bought a game, played it for a day and returned it because it sucked, we'd shrink wrap it and sell it as new, because it basically was and because we'd lose a lot of money if we refunded full price but had to sell it as used. I don't think most of us hear would mind to buy a "new" game that might have been played one time in exchange for being able to return a crappy game, especially since you can return defective games if re-wrapped game didn't work. But you know, somebody always ruins it for everyone, right? In this case, that someone sued. Gamestop may been one of the biggest retailers of videogames, but we really don't have the financial resources of Wal-Mart or Best Buy, so it hit us hard. The change in the return policy was inevitable after that.

So somebody finally sued. I can't say it surprises me. I'm someone who likes to buy things that are virgin new so I always make sure that it's not home shriink wrapped but still has the bar code and hologram label on the sides.

I have a few friends that work at Funcoland turned Gamestop. We all hate the company and would love to rob it blind should the oppertunity ever come up. The trade in policies are just ridiclous. I wanted to trade an X-Men GBA game which had never been played but they offered me $12 credit for it. When I asked how much they would resell it for my friend told me the price would be $44.99. (which I then looked ove ron the stock shelf and saw the price.) Gamestop is the rip off king of games next to EB. it's why I shop at any other small video game shop and not the chains.

How long do you guys think it'll be before the game is priced down (e.g. PS2 Greatest Hits edition)?

I dunno it just came out lol This one will get milked like GTA3 did. A year maybe? year and a half? Unless it tanks in sales like say Xenosaga, VF4 etc and is 29.99 in 6 months but I doubt that.

Oh and Gamestop got busted for being dishonest....boo f'n hoo...

no wonder that place is my last resort...

How long do you guys think it'll be before the game is priced down (e.g. PS2 Greatest Hits edition)?

Considering that this game is one of the MOST anticipated titles for all three systems. Plus, the fact that Grand Theft Auto 3 was JUST added to the Greatest Hits List two or three months ago (GTA3 is almost two to three years old).

Buddy, you're gonna be waiting for a long time (you'll probably have the YF-19 FP before Soul Caliber II hits the Greatest Hits list). :ph34r:

Actually, VF4 is now a GH release for only $19.99.

And we've all seen how fast Battlecry dropped to the bargain bin. :lol:

I've played the demo and felt it was pretty much the same thing as Soul Calibur for DC, which I have. So I don't really mind waiting. I am sick of paying 50 bucks for games and then see the price drop within mere months.

Actually, VF4 is now a GH release for only $19.99.

And we've all seen how fast Battlecry dropped to the bargain bin. :lol:

I've played the demo and felt it was pretty much the same thing as Soul Calibur for DC, which I have. So I don't really mind waiting. I am sick of paying 50 bucks for games and then see the price drop within mere months.

Another guy that has SC and a Dreamcast! I thought I was the only one :)

Nope, there's still a few of us fellow DC lovers out there. I break out DC:SC every now and then.

I wouldn't expect a price break too soon. This title is heavily anticipated and will probably last through Christmas. If your local Target has one in stock, go ahead and pick it up there as you get a free $5 giftcard with the purchase. So the pre-tax cost is $45.

on a side note... the GC controller is AWESOME for SC2...

I'm probably gonna pick up the GC version this weekend, I wonder why everyone is complaining about the GC controller for SCII. Are you having any problems with it? :ph34r:

I disagree wholeheartedly. The GC controller is by far the worst setup for a fighter ever. Even the easiest of combos take far too much concentration on button timing.

Yes, for a street fighter style game it is the worst... but for Soul Calibur 2? No.

I thought it would suck too before I actually used it.

I kick mad booty with it.

So long PS2! So long DC! My controller of choice is here!

I bought all 3 versions but currently playing the XBox version more. Though I hate using the XBox S controller for fighters because of the stiff d-pad and buttons, the moves just don't come out as well. I have to push down super-hard on the attack buttons to get some of the moves/blocks to work. Also the d-pad is just terrible for diagonal movement :angry: ... Does anyone know of a good quality arcade style stick for the XBox?

I too picked up FZero GX that same day and it's pretty tight! The difficulty can get a bit overwhelming in the later courses but all the FZero titles

had this increase in difficutly so I'm not complaining. Well, it was a good week for gaming :D

The greatest pad ever was the original Saturn's. THAT was a pad. Especially for 2D fighters. Sheer bliss. Think I'll go play Darkstalkers 2 or something now...

Druna Skass--every weapon is available for purchase in the Edge Master Missions (or whatever--I play the JP version, I don't know what it's called! ) I presume it's a lot easier in the US version, being able to read the weapon descriptions and all. (The Soul Calibur versions of all weapons are of course the most expensive, makes it easier--though there's 2 and sometimes 3 versions though)

Edited by David Hingtgen

The greatest pad ever was the original Saturn's.

Yes indeed!!! That pad was the perfect pad for all types of games (overhead/vertical 2D shooters and fighters especially). Think I'll hook up the ol' Sega Saturn for a game of Outrun and Capcom Generation Vol. 5 (Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edt. and Turbo) :D

Yes indeed!!! That pad was the perfect pad for all types of games (overhead/vertical 2D shooters and fighters especially). Think I'll hook up the ol' Sega Saturn for a game of Outrun and Capcom Generation Vol. 5 (Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Champion Edt. and Turbo) :D

I hope by that you guys mean the Japanese Saturn pad because the US one sucked.

Well, it's really good to see some Dreamcast owners and fellow Soul Calibur fans. Soul Calibur was such a good game and so ahead of its time, it's very sad the DC didn't survive.

Well I finally purchased Soul Calibur II yesterday and I must say I'm very impressed. I'll say right off that the game doesn't have the impact and sheer brilliance that Soul Calibur had for its time. It's really hard to match up to the DC game, given it's high level of sophistication. But for a lot of gamers that never played Soul Calibur on the DC (which is probably the vast majority, considering how the DC failed to sell), Soul Calibur II is very much like an update of the DC game for all the current game consoles. I stayed up until 2:00 am playing the game yesterday and I'm having a blast. I have the Xbox version which is an absolute graphical dream on my Xbox.

More to come later...

I hope by that you guys mean the Japanese Saturn pad because the US one sucked.

Yeah, I meant the japanese pad... I didn't like the ones packaged with the first Sega Saturns (mainly because of the L & R buttons and bulky design), but Sega made up for it by giving us the japanese ones later on.

Edited by efisher

I haven't picked it up yet, but I will go with the GC version and Link...just seems like the best character for that series as a bonus...Heihachi seems too out of place with his bare knuckles, and I never liked Tekken. Spawn..well I never liked Spawn much anyways, so Link is the choice for me.

Well, it's really good to see some Dreamcast owners and fellow Soul Calibur fans.  Soul Calibur was such a good game and so ahead of its time, it's very sad the DC didn't survive.

WeaponLord(SNES) and Soul Edge were ahead of their time rather.

More WeaponLord than anything else...

Weaponlord was awesome. Soul Calibe still is one of my face DC titles...Poor DC...you were never appreciated like you should have been.

Well, it's really good to see some Dreamcast owners and fellow Soul Calibur fans.  Soul Calibur was such a good game and so ahead of its time, it's very sad the DC didn't survive.

WeaponLord(SNES) and Soul Edge were ahead of their time rather.

More WeaponLord than anything else...

That is so funny. Friday night I was at my friends and we all played VF4 Evo for about 3 hours then switched to some SCII. Alex and I talked about how awesome Weapon Lord was and how ahead it was and still has a system that no one else has really used. The lead designer on that project was James Goddard who also Co-Designed SF2 CE,Turbo and Super SF2 of Capcom USA and worked closely with Capcom Co Ltd JPN. I wonder where he is now.

Indeed Weapon Lord was truly an unique game.... but was it really necessary to make the command inputs nearly impossible to pull off? I'm not complaining... I could do them just fine... the problem was finding someone who could play the game for 10 minutes without getting frustrated. <_< Thats exactly the same problem I had with finding oponents for the many 2D fighting games for the DC.... very few ppl could get used to the DC pad, as I never bothered to buy a arcade stick to play fighting games.... for some reason I could play them just fine with the standard DC pad.

And by the way... the original Soul Calibur was one of the few DC games to seel past a million. It was a launch title in the US and one of the most successful launch titles to date (second only to Mario 64 and Halo). If Soul Calibur was playable even with the terrible DC pad (for fighting games that is) why would the GC one be worst? :huh:

Too bad neither of the Soul Calibur games had a cool intro song like Soul Edge did. Too bad Namco had to tone down the intro in Soul Blade. <_<

Edited by Abombz!!

Ok, To anyone that has both th GC and PS2 versions which Plays better. I could care less about the special character, and I know the GC version has better graphics than the PS2. :ph34r:

Ok, To anyone that has both th GC and PS2 versions which Plays better. I could care less about the special character, and I know the GC version has better graphics than the PS2. :ph34r:

If you have an arcade stick they all play the same. The only differances are the special charicters and the Graphics. Here is my Breakdown

1.)PS2 Good but has slowdown occasionally and IMO Heihachi is a waste

2.)GCN Great. Much faster loading,better graphics, 480 P rog Scan,Link is a better charicter

3.)XBOX Great,Fast loading,best graphics,5.1 Digital Sound,480P and 720P,Spawn is a great charicter.

I say buy the Cube or Xbox versions. The thing that sucks about the Cube version is that if you want to use a stick you have to buy one since none of the controller adapters let you use digital sticks on the cube. Only Dual Shock2 Pads.

Too bad neither of the Soul Calibur games had a cool intro song like Soul Edge did. Too bad Namco had to tone down the intro in Soul Blade. <_<

Yep that intro kicked ass. Even Soul Edge/Blade had a better soundtrack than either of the Soul Calibur games.

Yep that intro kicked ass. Even Soul Edge/Blade had a better soundtrack than either of the Soul Calibur games.

Defenetly! "Kahns Super Session" is still one of my favorite video game OST! :)

If you have an arcade stick they all play the same. The only differances are the special charicters and the Graphics. Here is my Breakdown

1.)PS2 Good but has slowdown occasionally and IMO Heihachi is a waste

2.)GCN Great. Much faster loading,better graphics, 480 P rog Scan,Link is a better charicter

3.)XBOX Great,Fast loading,best graphics,5.1 Digital Sound,480P and 720P,Spawn is a great charicter.

I say buy the Cube or Xbox versions. The thing that sucks about the Cube version is that if you want to use a stick you have to buy one since none of the controller adapters let you use digital sticks on the cube. Only Dual Shock2 Pads.

Tight, Thank MMX, I'll get the GC version and see if I can get used to that controler for fighting games. I don't have and won't buy a X-box so that version is not a option