I still like my 1/48 Collection. How about you?

Roy Focker

I don't know how I haven't noticed it until now but do the arms actually stick out so far down in the 48's fighter mode!? or hasn't it been properly transformed?

I think from what I've read on this forum regarding the 1/48 is that the arms really sticks out during fighter mode. Knowing that fighter mode is the best mode in this scale according to most of them since I don't own a 1/48.

I think from what I've read on this forum regarding the 1/48 is that the arms really sticks out during fighter mode. Knowing that fighter mode is the best mode in this scale according to most of them since I don't own a 1/48.

Yeah even though I love the 1/48 the low hanging arms are a low (ha) point to the toy. That and the lack of key tampoes like the kite under the cockpit.

yuck! probably a good thing I never decided to collect them eh..

• 5 months later...

So, my love for the 1/48 has been renewed lately and it seems like there's still a following for these.

My interest was sparked by memories of my dad buying my first Valk toy for me back in the 80s. VF-1S Strike Hikaru. I hadn't watched DYRL and didn't even know of it's existence but I really wanted a Roy so I stupidly repainted the red markings to yellow. Cut up the box and pinned up the images up on my wall. I played with that toy right into the ground so it has zero collector value, but I have nice memories of a toy that my dad gave me as a child. I still have it somewhere buried in storage, and will keep it forever.

Decades later, I buy a version of the toy that my dad bought me as a kid, the 1/48 1S Hikki with Strike parts. Picked up the Valk for about 12,000 yen and the strike pack for 2,500 yen, and at the time, I thought that was pretty pricey. Also grabbed a Low vis one with Strike pack, but held off on more because I simply could not afford it. I figured these things would be around forever and it would be no problem to find them later on when I had money. Boy was I wrong.

Anyway, collecting 1/48s sort of went on the backburner as I got married, sold the sports car and became a sensible adult. The new Macross animes didn't really interest me much and I got into other hobbies like firearms, which turns out to be most costly than motorsports and collecting Macross. I've always kept in touch with Macross through this forum, but I'm not very active unless it relates to SDF-M or DYRL, but I mostly lurk and don't really have anything to add to the threads.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at the old cut up box of my first 1/55 chunky and rememberd how I always wished to recreate that scene with a few CF Supers in the background of my Hikki, only using 1/48s instead. So I started shopping for Valks again. I considered the 1/60 line, and even the Hi-Metal line, but I've already got a few 1/48s and I love the size. Apparently, the CF/Mass Production version is a complete pain in the dick to acquire and they want yout balls for one on eBay. I'm not looking for BNIB or MIB or anything like that. I'm going to take it out and play with it, pose it and use the stickers so I'm really after a used one.

I've never really gone into the For Sale forums before, but it looks like I missed a smoking deal a few months ago on a loose CF that went for $100. A few days ago, a loose one one went on eBay for damn near $200. New ones are near $400....wtf.

Anyway, my enthusiasm for this line hasn't been deterred yet, but i'm thinking about whether I should pursue a 1/48 scale toy or just grab a few Hasegawa 1/48s and do them up in CF paint. Is the 1/48 line dead? I don't know if Arcadia is still producing these, are they planning to re-release them again if they are not currently in production, or if there are any predictions on a 1/48 v2 five or ten years down the road?

So, my love for the 1/48 has been renewed lately and it seems like there's still a following for these.

My interest was sparked by memories of my dad buying my first Valk toy for me back in the 80s. VF-1S Strike Hikaru. I hadn't watched DYRL and didn't even know of it's existence but I really wanted a Roy so I stupidly repainted the red markings to yellow. Cut up the box and pinned up the images up on my wall. I played with that toy right into the ground so it has zero collector value, but I have nice memories of a toy that my dad gave me as a child. I still have it somewhere buried in storage, and will keep it forever.

Decades later, I buy a version of the toy that my dad bought me as a kid, the 1/48 1S Hikki with Strike parts. Picked up the Valk for about 12,000 yen and the strike pack for 2,500 yen, and at the time, I thought that was pretty pricey. Also grabbed a Low vis one with Strike pack, but held off on more because I simply could not afford it. I figured these things would be around forever and it would be no problem to find them later on when I had money. Boy was I wrong.

Anyway, collecting 1/48s sort of went on the backburner as I got married, sold the sports car and became a sensible adult. The new Macross animes didn't really interest me much and I got into other hobbies like firearms, which turns out to be most costly than motorsports and collecting Macross. I've always kept in touch with Macross through this forum, but I'm not very active unless it relates to SDF-M or DYRL, but I mostly lurk and don't really have anything to add to the threads.

A few weeks ago, I was looking at the old cut up box of my first 1/55 chunky and rememberd how I always wished to recreate that scene with a few CF Supers in the background of my Hikki, only using 1/48s instead. So I started shopping for Valks again. I considered the 1/60 line, and even the Hi-Metal line, but I've already got a few 1/48s and I love the size. Apparently, the CF/Mass Production version is a complete pain in the dick to acquire and they want yout balls for one on eBay. I'm not looking for BNIB or MIB or anything like that. I'm going to take it out and play with it, pose it and use the stickers so I'm really after a used one.

I've never really gone into the For Sale forums before, but it looks like I missed a smoking deal a few months ago on a loose CF that went for $100. A few days ago, a loose one one went on eBay for damn near $200. New ones are near $400....wtf.

Anyway, my enthusiasm for this line hasn't been deterred yet, but i'm thinking about whether I should pursue a 1/48 scale toy or just grab a few Hasegawa 1/48s and do them up in CF paint. Is the 1/48 line dead? I don't know if Arcadia is still producing these, are they planning to re-release them again if they are not currently in production, or if there are any predictions on a 1/48 v2 five or ten years down the road?

Cool story brah! ^_^ No seriously, we share a lot of similarities in collecting.

I don't think you can ever count anything out because the market always moves cyclically...anything that was popular enough has a strong chance of coming back again and often in a better form so 1/48 figures will most likely be back. Someday. Probably not within a few years though.

I have versions of the VF-1 from back when the first ones came out to today but I only one one 1/48, The Max VF-1J with Super Parts and that has been buried somewhere in my storage for so long, I don't even remember if I truly have it other than finding a receipt for it recently. I also have a lonely set of 1/48 Armor Parts sitting behind one of my 1/55 VF-1S' waiting for a Valkyrie to someday wear it. Like you, I got into other things like cars before I ever found more reasonably priced 1/48's to buy so my 1/48 collection is pretty pathetic. Hopefully, that changes someday but right now, I'm very happy with the new 1/60 stuff that's been coming and allowing me to catch up with those.

As far as anyone knows, the 1:48 line is dead and buried. Arcadia is re-releasing some 1/60ver.2's at a horribly slow rate, the only other game in town is the Ban Dai HMR line, which if you have Yamato's, you won't really like for the money they charge, and the new maybe/maybe not vaporware 1/20 Valk from Max Factory.

Size matters.

And let's keep hope alive for this beast!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=43122

967a18d8.jpg

Yeah, well that was something I was thinking about too. Do I want to go around blowing $300 USD to feed my 1/48 obsession or should I Just build a few Hasegawas for now and wait out for this beast?

Seems like radio silence from Bandai about this beast, but at the same time, Arcadia appears to be done with the 1/48 line, which means whatever is currently out there won't get any cheaper unless a 1/48 v2 comes out, or this monster. I figured something will eventually happen, just a question of when. How many years passed between the 1/55 and the 1/48?

Edited by peter

I hope that doesn't come out just because I will be forced to buy it.

I think eventually someone will make it. I mean, who would have thought something like the 1/48 line could ever be made when the 1/55 chunky first came out?

If it's not Bandai, it will be someone else. I'm thinking maybe 10-15 years from now, or at least that's what my pocketbook is telling me.

And just to add an update, another awesome MWer found a Yahoo Japan auction for a BNIB VF-1A mass production type for about 14,800 yen, awesome price compared to some of the stuff I've seen recently. Called up the missus to help me buy it and have it sent to her parent's house in Japan. I'm not in a huge hurry so we'll just pick it up next time we're over there.

I'm glad I didn't shell out 300 bones for one on Amazon, or that loose one on eBay for damn near $200 (no box, no missiles, no gunpod), however I am thinking maybe I should have just bought 3 Hasegawa instead?

1/48 is still my favorite. I still keep all of mine nice and only display a handful due to space limitations. I would agree with the earlier comments that the fighter mode on 1/48 looks fantastic. Like they say, size do matter

20 years

Wow, 20 years. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if 20 years passes before something as awesome as the 1/35 actually materializes......

Edited by peter

ahhh a model kit, ok. whew, that saves my wallet xD

I'll murder it for a 1/35 transforming VF-1 though...

I agree. But unfortunately, one 1/35 is not enough for them valks. :lol:

1/48 is still my favorite. I still keep all of mine nice and only display a handful due to space limitations. I would agree with the earlier comments that the fighter mode on 1/48 looks fantastic. Like they say, size do matter

Yeah. That's true. Until Arcadia made 1/60 VF-0's with all correct shape and proportion. Much sexier. :wub:

the only problem is we'll all be to damn old to A)afford it, B)see it, C)have arthritis to bad to transform it, or D) started to have bad memory that you forgot that you're collecting. :lol:

Fix it for yah! :lol:

35th anniversary of SDFM next year....would be one hell of a way to celebrate the occasion!

Uhm, a 'well-written with cool Valkyrie fights' Macross DELTA movie perhaps? :ph34r:

:rofl:

Edited by no3Ljm

Every so often I do! Would be something if Hasegawa made 1/48 Macross Zero kits.

1/48 VF-1's & VF-0's, It's Win Win baby!!! B))

I bet it wouldn't be impossible. Hasegawa has F14s in 1/48 which are about the same size as the Zero:

9b68af6fe94e276d.gif

Thanks peter, with that being the overall size difference per Aircraft, seriously Hasegawa should give it a try! Would love to have VF-0 Customs with my Yamato 1/48's!

Edited by 505thAirborne

Thanks peter, with that being the overall size difference per Aircraft, seriously Hasegawa should give it a try! Would love to have VF-0 Customs with my Yamao 1/48's!

Of course, now you have me thinking now that Hasegawa has ventured into making battroids and gerwalks in their 1/72 line, why not in the 1/48 line? Since I hardly transform my 1/48s anyway, it wouldn't exactly be a deal breaker to just buy them in modes I want and build them for about 1/5 of the price......and the detail, my God, the detail of the Hasegawas...just wow.