I still like my 1/48 Collection. How about you?

Roy Focker

I was thinking about selling my 3 VF-1 in the 1/48 scale for the longest time. Tried to a few times. I never priced them to sale fast. The 1/60 v2 is the superior VF-1. I'm now getting into the HMR. I don't need my 1/48s any more. On second thought I do need them. I took one out of its box and it's still a great toy. The large size is impressive. It is sturdier than the 1/60 v2. You can transform and play with them without fear of breaking something. I think I'll be keeping them.

Who else still likes their 1/48 Valks?

Personally I think you should keep them! Like you said their larger size does welcome more of a play friendly durability. And if you did let go of them you would regret it down the line. They will only go up in value as less and less of them appear out in the market.

They are a great toy and I would love to get them purely for displaying them in fighter mode which is what they do best! Problem is I'd have to get all of them or the collection would feel incomplete..

Well, I got rid of all my 1/48 collection. They were just too big and out of proportion. If we get a new improved 1/48, I will buy at least a VF-1S.

I agree, it looks best in fighter and I only keep the Strike Stealth. It looks bad ass in that color.

redroses.jpg

that looks nuts! B))

I sill love all my 48s. There easily the best fighter mode in my opinion and don't look to bad in gerwalk ether. And than you throw a fast pack or strike pack and there so imposing that I just have to have one in battroid. Just don't use the chicken hands the pre posed ones are so much better. Now if you will excuse me I need to go swoosh some 48s around my living room :D

I don't know if I actually like the 1/48's anymore. I appreciate the size, and that it's probably the single easiest to transform Macross toy I own. So many things on it just make me sad though.

Edited by anime52k8

Re-looking at Takatoy's Stealth VF-1J I will say that I miss all of the customizing that was done by the talented folks here.

You don't see nearly as much of that anymore. There were some amazing customs that people did that for whatever reason just didn't carry over to the v2 1/60's.

I mean even custom sticker/decals do wonders for the VF-1.

-b.

i wish i had more 1/48s. they just have so much presence. the v2 1/60 IMO is the "sturdier" of the two. it just feels better put together, tighter, and better engineered and better overall. i'llnver forge tthe first time i handled a 1/48 though. first modern VF..it as glorious. in a way it parallels transformers MP...mp-01 vs. mp-10. anyway that being said 1/48s...i don't have the space for a collection of those and 1/60 just has so many more releases so its my main colllection.

Re-looking at Takatoy's Stealth VF-1J I will say that I miss all of the customizing that was done by the talented folks here.

You don't see nearly as much of that anymore. There were some amazing customs that people did that for whatever reason just didn't carry over to the v2 1/60's.

I mean even custom sticker/decals do wonders for the VF-1.

-b.

I'd guess the death of the ALPS printers had something to do with that.

I was scavenging like crazy to find/make stickers for my last custom back in 2008.

Can't imagine the situation has improved in the ensuing years.

The 1/48's have their flaws (the arms that hang too low in fighter mode, the nuke missiles that would fall if you sneezed at them wrong, no TV-style Roy ;) ). But they are solid display pieces that have an "oomph" about them.

I know the 1/60 v2's have more poseability and are in scale with the other Macross series birds. But I just never had the desire to ever pick one up. <shrugs>

Edited by Mog

Never stopped loving them for a minute. I have one of each variation except for the 4 "unobtaniums", so that's a total of about 17 iirc. Got an extra Angelbird waiting for GWfalcon 2 seater mods. Will need @ least 2 to 3 more if he decides to do all of the variants. My constant love for them is how good the side profile looks in fighter mode...Yamato just nailed the sexy curvature of the fuselage to me.

I have a complete 1/60 v2 collection and never got into 1/48. There are several things about the 1/48's appearance in Battroid mode that I don't like which I think the 1/60 v2 improved on.

My first Valk ever was a 1/48 Roy VF-1S, which is now a Kurt Custom Minmay Guard Paris Act. I didn't start collecting the 1/60 V2s heavily until I was done filling out my 1/48 collection. Even though I prefer the V2s now, I will always love the 1/48, and currently have 26 of them, many still waiting for for commission work. Sadly, Kurt has hung up his hat, and there just isn't anyone around to do the custom work anymore :(

I got my first 1/48 not too long ago from Mandarake... and love the presence in a display case. My only others 1/60 vf-1 are v1 and the v2 tuxedo anniversary one. Still prefer the 1/48 for the size, but I fully understand the preference for the v2 1/60.

Gave all my 1/48s (1J/Hikky-1S/1A-Kaki DYRL, FAST-Packs, GBP, stands) to my nephew a long time ago. He likes it alot.

I just ran out of space for them. The chicken hands were forever fugly.

The Hikaru-1A broke apart before I could give it to him, tho.

Oh, well.

No regrets.

I still keeping my 1/55s, tho...

:bump:

The 1/55 and 1/60 v2 are great toys to me. 1/48 has always felt like the high end collectors toy line. Displaying them draws the most attention. The ultimate displayable fighter/gerwalk due to all the options available. And the Fast Packs sit on them just like they look on the line art (without a toy-like bracket). So many cool details in the 1/48.

Edited by Valkyrie23

I've just spent the last 5yrs collecting 1/48's so yeah....

tumblr_o6814luZ1K1qd7437o1_1280.jpg

don't mind the dinobots in the middle. :D

i have 5 more not pictured, hikaru vf-1a, both vf-1a TV versions and both Hikaru weathering editions. i think like 2 or 3 more yamato stands too. the only one i'm missing is the roy weathering edition.

Edited by davzilla

Nice squadron!

I've just spent the last 5yrs collecting 1/48's so yeah....

tumblr_o6814luZ1K1qd7437o1_1280.jpg

don't mind the dinobots in the middle. :D

i have 5 more not pictured, hikaru vf-1a, both vf-1a TV versions and both Hikaru weathering editions. i think like 2 or 3 more yamato stands too. the only one i'm missing is the roy weathering edition.

I love my 1/48's and am in the progress of getting two more. Also I have a VF-1D conversion kit to use which will soon be the Holy Grail of my collection.

That said I have a handful of the V.2 VF-1's and love those just as much. My VF-1S Hikaru Strikes (60 & 48 scale) look amazing next to each other! B))

I still love the 1/48s! To me they are still the definitive valks out there! But sadly mine have yellowed!

Yellowing's a common problem with these. Who else has this problem?

I haven't had mine that long so thankfully not yet. but they never get any direct sunlight so hopefully that's helping.

Edited by davzilla