Macross Cygnus

cwmodels

• 2 weeks later...

This stuff is great.

Thank you!

The Cygnus stuff really makes me want to reassemble the Aria team and get that ball rolling again.

Well, this is how I see it... Cygnus is purely my own interest, so if I'm not gonna do it, then no one is gonna complete to for me. If you want the ball rolling, you'll have to be the one to kick it off.

Finally got around to doing some layouts for the comic. Here's the first 5 pages!

post-425-0-56297500-1465021497_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-82704500-1465021521_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-95078900-1465021577_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-57884700-1465021599_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-16094700-1465021656_thumb.jpg

Edited by cwmodels

• 2 weeks later...

So what VF they going to pilot. And in what timeline in this comic take place

As you can see from the pages above, it will be VF-171. And I would say the time frame is unspecified between Frontier and Delta.

So what main character going to pilot VF? I hope it will be VF-25 or VF-27 as in macros 30 many special division started to mass produce those VF for very good reason. So is therer possible those squadron going to pilot first mass produce of VF-29

Those VF types will not appear in the story.

But those VF are outdated and weaker compared to even VF-19

Not all the time you need the latest VF, especially they are more expensive and upgrading existing designs might be more cost effective in certain cases. Just see real life aircraft, the F-5 and MiG-21 are both older designs than the F-16, MiG-29, F/A-18, etc. but upgrades to them allow them to be kept in service up to this day.

Not all the time you need the latest VF, especially they are more expensive and upgrading existing designs might be more cost effective in certain cases. Just see real life aircraft, the F-5 and MiG-21 are both older designs than the F-16, MiG-29, F/A-18, etc. but upgrades to them allow them to be kept in service up to this day.

Even now keeping F-16s in service is way easier than building new F-35s for every base (I'm in the AF btw and work on the 16) plus the 16 can still compete since it is less complex than the more complicated 35.

More importantly, if this is a story about a NUNS Squadron than they would use the 171. That's their standard. The 19 was designed as a special ops unit. The 22 is a limited build special ops of a different kind. The 25 was designed specially for Frontier fleet using the 24 design, same for 27 and Galaxy fleet (and it only works for cyborgs). The YF-29 and 30 are tech demonstrators and not really meant to be main series units. Too early for 31 but even then it is also kinda a special purpose unit even if it is a production unit. When it comes down to it, until NUNS decides to design an entire new replacement for the 171 that is worth doing more than upgrading the 171,they will keep using it. Also via Delta, we know they still do.

Oh so we're getting some Grunt love? I like it, that plane is really underappreciated.

Oh yeah! Always prefer those ugly grunt plane even dating way back to those tan colored VF-1A in the original series.

Man, everytime I see an update to this thread I come in hoping you'll have posted a first issue.

So would I! But due the fairly tight production deadlines of releasing new Captain China books this summer and getting the series back on a normal schedule, I can only work on the Cygnus pages during my spare time.

>Always prefer the ugly grunt planes.

My friend that plane is fairly sexy it's self, whatchu talking about? :p

You're right. It is quite Moe~!

Even now keeping F-16s in service is way easier than building new F-35s for every base (I'm in the AF btw and work on the 16) plus the 16 can still compete since it is less complex than the more complicated 35.

More importantly, if this is a story about a NUNS Squadron than they would use the 171. That's their standard. The 19 was designed as a special ops unit. The 22 is a limited build special ops of a different kind. The 25 was designed specially for Frontier fleet using the 24 design, same for 27 and Galaxy fleet (and it only works for cyborgs). The YF-29 and 30 are tech demonstrators and not really meant to be main series units. Too early for 31 but even then it is also kinda a special purpose unit even if it is a production unit. When it comes down to it, until NUNS decides to design an entire new replacement for the 171 that is worth doing more than upgrading the 171,they will keep using it. Also via Delta, we know they still do.

To be fair. We've only seen what colony worlds fly. The core Federal forces could very well be flying VF-24's. We have yet to see any Federal fleets in action since M7, before the NUN decentralized. It is doubtful any emigration fleets being launched in the 2060's would have anything other than VF-171's with the exception of a few SpecOps squads with more advanced fighters assigned to them. Maybe a VF-25 derivative or perhaps a VF-24 derivative with a different designation, like a VF-26 or VF-2400, which would be a less advanced economy version, like the VF-3000 and VF-5000 were in their day.

To be fair. We've only seen what colony worlds fly. The core Federal forces could very well be flying VF-24's. We have yet to see any Federal fleets in action since M7, before the NUN decentralized. It is doubtful any emigration fleets being launched in the 2060's would have anything other than VF-171's with the exception of a few SpecOps squads with more advanced fighters assigned to them. Maybe a VF-25 derivative or perhaps a VF-24 derivative with a different designation, like a VF-26 or VF-2400, which would be a less advanced economy version, like the VF-3000 and VF-5000 were in their day.

Galaxy was a Corporate-sponsored fleet... and they had GHOSTS out the but, and VF-27s!

there's every chance that any given fleet will be outfitted differently from another.

I assume it would all depend on what models of VF get built near/in your system/fleet...

unless they're doing the modern military thing and giving "regular soldiers/airmen" equipment that's "good-enough", so that they can support the actions of a few Tier-1 Bad-Asses in top-of-the-line Fighters...

Had some time to work on more page layouts. I drew the VF-171 using reference pics and photos found on the internet. But the day after completion I received the little Bandai kit and realized how the contour and details were wrong, so I had to redraw the whole plane again.

post-425-0-09213900-1466587541_thumb.jpg

post-425-0-20014300-1466587560_thumb.jpg

Galaxy was a Corporate-sponsored fleet... and they had GHOSTS out the but, and VF-27s!

there's every chance that any given fleet will be outfitted differently from another.

I assume it would all depend on what models of VF get built near/in your system/fleet...

unless they're doing the modern military thing and giving "regular soldiers/airmen" equipment that's "good-enough", so that they can support the actions of a few Tier-1 Bad-Asses in top-of-the-line Fighters..

The Galaxy fleet is special, precisely because it was corporate sponsored. There are hints that the Galaxy colony fleet is from the pre New Macross-class era, in which case they would have had to build the Battle Galaxy from scratch while in space; they also designed all the hardware we see them use in Frontier themselves, even if most of it is a further development of NUNS-supplied designs (like the VF-27 being derived from the YF-24 and the AIF-9V being developed from the AIF-9B). They even completely redesigned the internals of the VF-19C to make the VF-19C/MG-21, which was the model used by Galaxy's special forces prior to the VF-27.

Most fleets probably aren't home to galactically competitive research and development facilities, the way Galaxy and Frontier were,

That said, the ones that are competitive are known to export their designs far and wide, even the ones that fail to find federal contracts. Someone, somewhere, either flew or is still flying every VF design we have an official designation for, and probably a few of the ones we don't. Hell, in Macross The Ride there are a couple of people flying modified Macross Zero-era designs in the Vanquish races.

The Galaxy fleet is special, precisely because it was corporate sponsored. There are hints that the Galaxy colony fleet is from the pre New Macross-class era, in which case they would have had to build the Battle Galaxy from scratch while in space; they also designed all the hardware we see them use in Frontier themselves, even if most of it is a further development of NUNS-supplied designs (like the VF-27 being derived from the YF-24 and the AIF-9V being developed from the AIF-9B). They even completely redesigned the internals of the VF-19C to make the VF-19C/MG-21, which was the model used by Galaxy's special forces prior to the VF-27.

not familiar with that mod of the '19, or the Early launch time-frame for Galaxy.

but all the '20 series' are based off of the work done on the '24 aren't they? even the VF-30 and VF-31 look like they're derivatives of that design.

[NOTE: I'm not able to read Japanese, so I'm basically going off of the info I've gleaned from Macross Mecha Manual, and the TV series.]

Most fleets probably aren't home to galactically competitive research and development facilities, the way Galaxy and Frontier were,

And as an Intergalactic conglomerate, such as L.A.I. Corporation, would it not be smart to be part of EVERY fleet that set-sail, just in case they discovered something new? [like Fold-Quartz]

This would also put you in a position to keep abreast of any other technical developments/cultural shifts throughout the Human Diaspora.

That said, the ones that are competitive are known to export their designs far and wide, even the ones that fail to find federal contracts. Someone, somewhere, either flew or is still flying every VF design we have an official designation for, and probably a few of the ones we don't. Hell, in Macross The Ride there are a couple of people flying modified Macross Zero-era designs in the Vanquish races.

I suppose that would depend entirely on how much inter-communication occurs on the reg between colonization/exploration fleets... and relative budgets/outfitting. I'm sure there are fleets that haven't encountered ANY sort of contact which would necessitate upgrading their VF forces...If the fleets are all self-governing, and the UN-Gov't decentralized, then it's possible that fleets will have unofficial mods/MLUs to older models, non-cannon variants of older models, etc.

Hell, Canada's F/A-18As and Bs have been front-liners since we purchased them in '82... other than their overall shape, I'm sure they'd be unrecognizable to anyone who wrenched on them in the '80s... 34 Years of service... it's impressive really.

According to Wiki, Plus takes place in 2040, and Delta is set in 2067, so 27 years... That makes EVERY design since and including VF-11 a viable fighter by the time Delta rolls around... though they chose the VF-171 as standard at some point before Frontier, I suppose...

[i'm also unfamiliar with "Macross the Ride", other than it's what gave us that gorgeous VF-11D Two-seater]

Edited by slide

not familiar with that mod of the '19, or the Early launch time-frame for Galaxy.

but all the '20 series' are based off of the work done on the '24 aren't they? even the VF-30 and VF-31 look like they're derivatives of that design.

[NOTE: I'm not able to read Japanese, so I'm basically going off of the info I've gleaned from Macross Mecha Manual, and the TV series.]

And as an Intergalactic conglomerate, such as L.A.I. Corporation, would it not be smart to be part of EVERY fleet that set-sail, just in case they discovered something new? [like Fold-Quartz]

This would also put you in a position to keep abreast of any other technical developments/cultural shifts throughout the Human Diaspora.

I suppose that would depend entirely on how much inter-communication occurs on the reg between colonization/exploration fleets... and relative budgets/outfitting. I'm sure there are fleets that haven't encountered ANY sort of contact which would necessitate upgrading their VF forces...If the fleets are all self-governing, and the UN-Gov't decentralized, then it's possible that fleets will have unofficial mods/MLUs to older models, non-cannon variants of older models, etc.

Hell, Canada's F/A-18As and Bs have been front-liners since we purchased them in '82... other than their overall shape, I'm sure they'd be unrecognizable to anyone who wrenched on them in the '80s... 34 Years of service... it's impressive really.

According to Wiki, Plus takes place in 2040, and Delta is set in 2067, so 27 years... That makes EVERY design since and including VF-11 a viable fighter by the time Delta rolls around... though they chose the VF-171 as standard at some point before Frontier, I suppose...

[i'm also unfamiliar with "Macross the Ride", other than it's what gave us that gorgeous VF-11D Two-seater]

There is no doubt in my mind that other "Galaxy" like fleets are out there, but they would be relatively few compared to the public missions.

The adoption of a new VF is likely based upon need and economics. LAI and the like do not license their designs for free and then the resources are needed to build the units themselves. Cheap CF fighters are always needed so an economy fighter for general purpose defense will always be purchased first and it is likely any Spec Ops squads would be equipped with the most advanced fighters the fleet or colony can afford in limited quantities.

The other more expensive and time consuming alternative is to go outside the NUN Alliance and develop your own fighter like the Windermerians did with their SV series (though we still don't know what they designate their fighters as).

Edited by Zinjo