VF-19s Bootleg, masking tape madness

Mazinger

I noticed that the yellow masking tape my wife has lying around the house is almost the same shade as the yellow in the lines from Yamato's Emerald Force VF-19s.

I'd had grown bored with a broken bootleg that I had lying around. I could never get into it due to it's overly dark colors and lack of highlights.

The gold paint on this things that's trying to pass for yellow is really ugly. I've seen pictures of the original Bandai, sadly it's not much better. Here's more or less what it looked like (original images from http://dennis-toys.blogspot.com) :

25851129313_292daa2f38_n.jpg26387781011_df1558fcb8_n.jpg

With some strips of masking tape, a few UN Space kite stickers, an alcohol rub down, and a Sharpee, here's what I came up with a half-hour later:

26427939996_7b0ff68c78.jpg

26453850965_4a04bf75ae.jpg

26181017000_f6843f3fd4.jpg

While it can't have helped it's minuscule resale value, it already calls to me so much more.

Edited by Mazinger

Thanks for the heads up. Some alcohol should take off the glue. When it all comes off I might actually paint this guy. There a lot of acrylics in the house and that full bottle of Future I bought for my 1/55 conversion will probably last decades at this rate. Might have to actually use it on our floors!

Nothing gets the glue off once its set and the tapes gone flakey. Apart from mechanical abrasion. Had dome on a window frame and no solvent I tired would remove it so have to buff it off with a rubber wheel in a drill.

Nothing gets the glue off once its set and the tapes gone flakey. Apart from mechanical abrasion. Had dome on a window frame and no solvent I tired would remove it so have to buff it off with a rubber wheel in a drill.

I gotta say it, but all you folks who use tamiya tape to protect their Valk canopies should remember that Tamiya tape is also making tape and will eventually leave the same discolored residue.

• 4 weeks later...

hahah just remember masking tape goes hard and flakes with time, leaving behind the glue...

Actually, I use masking tape as a major component in building a lot of my customs. Just use multiple layers of Krylon clear cote and it will stay on just fine. I have models from 12 years ago that the tape is still holding strong. :)

BTW: don't use cheap masking tape: that WILL flake off no matter what. I recommend Scotch regular Masking Tape.

Edited by pengbuzz