27 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I just read the movie is only 25% complete, wow.

With COVID I'm not expecting to see this any time soon. From what I understand production is way, way, way down in Hollywood.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

With COVID I'm not expecting to see this any time soon. From what I understand production is way, way, way down in Hollywood.

I noticed all the DC trailers say only in theaters and I'm like even if we've got a vaccine by then I'm not risking it.

Very much seeing an "early Batman" here (year two as mentioned), where he's still kinda green and hasn't had years of experience, workouts and combat to build muscle and technique.

Example: Pattinson Batman breaks guy's arm, whallops him about 20-30 times to the dome, then 2-3 or good measure on the ground.

Keaton Batman: One backhand to a creep in the Axis Chemical plant takes the crud down.

Bale Batman: Sore throat. :D

Batfleck: Uses a gun to blow up the flamethrower guy's tank backpack.

Adam West Batman: Gets the "Bat-Anti-Creep-Spray" out and douses the guy.

No, seriously: "POW!!"

One thing that kind of bothered me about Robert Pattinson's look in the trailer, is that his Bruce Wayne looks a little too 'emo' or 'disheveled'.

That very much could be a function of what's going on in those scenes, but Bruce needs to not look like he's ready to beat the sh!t out of you like Batman did that one dude.

Just an extremely, EXTREMELY, minor nitpick. I still think this looks awesome, I haven't been this excited for a DC film since Nolan's trilogy.

-b.

3 hours ago, Kanedas Bike said:

One thing that kind of bothered me about Robert Pattinson's look in the trailer, is that his Bruce Wayne looks a little too 'emo' or 'disheveled'.

That very much could be a function of what's going on in those scenes, but Bruce needs to not look like he's ready to beat the sh!t out of you like Batman did that one dude.

Just an extremely, EXTREMELY, minor nitpick. I still think this looks awesome, I haven't been this excited for a DC film since Nolan's trilogy.

-b.

Yup, totally agree.

Chris

:lol: Ah, it was only a matter of time. 

But yeah, particularly in that scene, he comes across as being this close to losing control. I guess it works for intimidation factor, but it's inefficient. If they play it right, that may just be the charm of this Batman movie relative to the others. Focus on the growing pains, if you will.

I suppose the car makes sense for a guy who's still starting out, but it feels more FnF than Batmobile to me.

20 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

:lol: Ah, it was only a matter of time. 

But yeah, particularly in that scene, he comes across as being this close to losing control. I guess it works for intimidation factor, but it's inefficient. If they play it right, that may just be the charm of this Batman movie relative to the others. Focus on the growing pains, if you will.

I suppose the car makes sense for a guy who's still starting out, but it feels more FnF than Batmobile to me.

It would make sense to show the learning curve he has to go through to reach the Batman that we see in the comics. learn the hard lessons about why things work, what works and what doesn't, pacing one's self in a fight, learning to "read" his enemies and prepare for them, why he needs a database on individuals, etc.

1 minute ago, pengbuzz said:

It would make sense to show the learning curve he has to go through to reach the Batman that we see in the comics. learn the hard lessons about why things work, what works and what doesn't, pacing one's self in a fight, learning to "read" his enemies and prepare for them, why he needs a database on individuals, etc.

Nolan touched on this breifly in the first movie when he visited Gordon and then jumped from one building to another......and didn't do a very good job. I'd like to see Batman going through his growing pains. There would certainly be a lot of them. No one shows up for anything ready to rock. There is a lot of trial and error no matter how much money and talent are in play.

As far as being emo I'm kinda OK with it as long as it's not over done. Bruce would certainly be a mess mentally at that age (Nolan sorta touched this too). Most of us were a mess at that age without the dead parents. That storyline could be teased out really well.

I didn't realize until last night that the director did Cloverfield. Which I loved. Now I'm lookimg foward to it even more.

Batman and the Punisher are the only two supes that I'm into. This is going to be a treat fo me. I don't get my superhero fix like most do being fans of so many. I may be one of the rare few on the board with zero super hero toys. I wish I liked them more. I see so many of you get a lot of entertainment and joy out of them. It looks nice.

Oh wait, I guess I like Jessica Jones a bit too. Mostly for things like "Woiuld you put day drinking under expirience, or special skills?":rofl:

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Nolan touched on this breifly in the first movie when he visited Gordon and then jumped from one building to another......and didn't do a very good job. I'd like to see Batman going through his growing pains. There would certainly be a lot of them. No one shows up for anything ready to rock. There is a lot of trial and error no matter how much money and talent are in play.

As far as being emo I'm kinda OK with it as long as it's not over done. Bruce would certainly be a mess mentally at that age (Nolan sorta touched this too). Most of us were a mess at that age without the dead parents. That storyline could be teased out really well.

I didn't realize until last night that the director did Cloverfield. Which I loved. Now I'm lookimg foward to it even more.

Batman and the Punisher are the only two supes that I'm into. This is going to be a treat fo me. I don't get my superhero fix like most do being fans of so many. I may be one of the rare few on the board with zero super hero toys. I wish I liked them more. I see so many of you get a lot of entertainment and joy out of them. It looks nice.

Oh wait, I guess I like Jessica Jones a bit too. Mostly for things like "Woiuld you put day drinking under expirience, or special skills?":rofl:

Matt Reeves also directed the outstanding Dawn of and War for the Planet of the Apes (my personal favorite of the trilogy). Cloverfield was hit or miss for me, mostly because of the characters and their dumb, duuuuuuuuuuuumb decisions but I thought the directing and set up was fine. Especially for a found footage flick.

Regarding my original critique I still very much think/hope that this will live up to the hype, I'm just more accustomed to the polished Bruce Wayne persona in public so the trailer threw me for a bit. No biggie, at least not until the finished product is seen.

-b.

5 minutes ago, Kanedas Bike said:

Matt Reeves also directed the outstanding Dawn of and War for the Planet of the Apes (my personal favorite of the trilogy). Cloverfield was hit or miss for me, mostly because of the characters and their dumb, duuuuuuuuuuuumb decisions but I thought the directing and set up was fine. Especially for a found footage flick.

I kinda liked how dumb they were. Let's be fair, most people are dumb and would not have handled that well.:D

I tried watching that apes movie. It took me about 15min to figure it out but I was having a big time "uncanny valley" thing going on. I'd never expirienced that before. I was REALLY uncomfortable. It was super weird. As soon as I stopped watching it went away.

I thought Reeves' Apes movies were done extremely well. I was hoping for at least one more, but I guess he's moved on. From PotA to Batman is a big step; Apes has its fans, but that franchise is niche compared to the juggernaut that is Batman. I hope he does a good job with it. Like with the Nolan films, I think he's smart to try and give us something different than what's been done already with live action. On the bright side, it can't be worse than Snyder's take.

As for the challenges of becoming Batman, I don't know about you guys, but purposely taking that first leap off of a tall building and putting full trust in my gear would take more courage than I think I possess. Leap accomplished, the next challenge would be swinging free and clear of any obstacles that might entangle you or just stop you in a most abrupt and bone-crunching fashion.  As Squidd mentioned, there were the briefest glimpses of Bale's pre-Batman struggles. I think Reeves could add a normally unseen dimension of the character by exploring Batman's early learning curve. It might add some levity as well.

Also, from a psychological POV, it would be fascinating to watch Bruce cultivate both of his personas with purposeful intent to create an unquestionable contrast between them. 

15 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

As for the challenges of becoming Batman, I don't know about you guys, but purposely taking that first leap off of a tall building and putting full trust in my gear would take more courage than I think I possess. Leap accomplished, the next challenge would be swinging free and clear of any obstacles that might entangle you or just stop you in a most abrupt and bone-crunching fashion.  As Squidd mentioned, there were the briefest glimpses of Bale's pre-Batman struggles. I think Reeves could add a normally unseen dimension of the character by exploring Batman's early learning curve. It might add some levity as well.

*Bruce jumps off roof, deploys cable to swing, but it grabs the building the at the wrong angle*

Bruce: "Aw, CRAAAAAAAAAP--"

*Smacks right into brick wall*

DA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA SPLATMAN!!!

18 hours ago, sqidd said:

I kinda liked how dumb they were. Let's be fair, most people are dumb and would not have handled that well.:D

I tried watching that apes movie. It took me about 15min to figure it out but I was having a big time "uncanny valley" thing going on. I'd never expirienced that before. I was REALLY uncomfortable. It was super weird. As soon as I stopped watching it went away.

So I had to Google "uncanny valley" because I'd never heard of that before. That's interesting and it absolutely sounds super weird.

Maybe one day you'll be able to give them another go, I don't necessarily recommend the first because Franco annoys the hell out of me for some reason, but the continuity is pretty tight across the trilogy worth a watch if you want something that is both respectful of, but improves the Heston film (first and only good one).

16 hours ago, M'Kyuun said:

I thought Reeves' Apes movies were done extremely well. I was hoping for at least one more, but I guess he's moved on. From PotA to Batman is a big step; Apes has its fans, but that franchise is niche compared to the juggernaut that is Batman. I hope he does a good job with it. Like with the Nolan films, I think he's smart to try and give us something different than what's been done already with live action. On the bright side, it can't be worse than Snyder's take.

*Snip*

Big step indeed, however I think Reeves is going to kill it. He did say that he was a fan of Synder's Batman as a take on the character that hadn't before been seen on the big screen. And with that I agree. One could be a cynic and say that Reeves only gave the support because he's apart of the machine now and has to, but I think he was being genuine in his praise.

18 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

*Bruce jumps off roof, deploys cable to swing, but it grabs the building the at the wrong angle*

Bruce: "Aw, CRAAAAAAAAAP--"

*Smacks right into brick wall*

DA-NA NA-NA NA-NA NA-NA SPLATMAN!!!

Dark and funny at the same time. Joker, is that you? :lol: :ph34r:

-b.

The term 'uncanny valley" is generally applied to non-human yet humanoid entities, most commonly robots, but it could apply to intelligent apes as well. I'd never thought of it in that context, but I think it applies. I  think there's also an argument for its application to CG renders of real people, especially deceased persons or older actors made to look like their young selves. Anyway, the effect is usually intensified the more realistic the entity in question appears to be human. The uncanny valley is that "off" feeling that's somewhat disturbing.

Pedantry aside, I never got that from the Apes films, new or old. Whereas the original apes were obviously people in costume, I can, however,  see getting a little creeped by very realistic apes acting and speaking in a human manner. 

Honestly, for all the negative feedback Affleck's Batman received, I don't hate his portrayal so much as disagree with some of his actions, like branding the bad guys. It seems an over-the-top action for the sake of it, and to make Batman seem more gruff, I guess. I get that Snyder's intent is to portray him as a guy who's been pushed a bit beyond his limits, but it seems more like sadism and desperation. The Batfleckmobile was a neat design, but I can't get behind all the guns or blowing up bad guys. It stands in contrast to his cardinal rule- no killing. I hope Reeves takes those things into account as he fashions his take on the character. Interestingly enough, however, Bob Kane's original Batman carried a gun. So there's historical precedent if Reeves wanted to go there. I kinda like the modern no guns interpretation, though. The whole appeal of Batman is that, in a world of super-powered heroes, he's super-powerless, but certainly not powerless. That he earns the respect of his superpowered peers, and oft acts as a leader for them, says something about the power of his resolve, resourcefulness, and intelligence.  Bruce Wayne is a force to be reckoned with. Hopefully that comes through in Reeves' film.

On 8/25/2020 at 5:54 PM, sqidd said:

"Jesus, am I the only one in the city who doesn't know karate?  *uses super strength to push baddie's face through a glass windshield*  I don't know kung-fu, so you tell me when this starts to hurt.  *window cracks and spiderwebs*"

I love Jess.  She takes crap from nobody.

7 hours ago, CoryHolmes said:

"Jesus, am I the only one in the city who doesn't know karate?  *uses super strength to push baddie's face through a glass windshield*  I don't know kung-fu, so you tell me when this starts to hurt.  *window cracks and spiderwebs*"

I love Jess.  She takes crap from nobody.

Yeah, that was a brilliant bit because it showed Jessica perfectly and it made fun of how everyone in these shows (and therefore themselves) is an elite fighter, including all the random baddies.....somehow.:rofl:

Bane was ahead of his time.

* Wore a mask everywhere he went;

* Was in peak physical health to improve his compromised immunity;

* Encouraged social distancing by quarantining Gotham from the rest of the world; and 

* Redistributed the wealth of that spoiled little rich boy, Bruce Wayne. :p

I'll admit, I'm completely meh on his casting, but that sucks.

Hope he gets well soon.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...