Macross Δ (Delta) - Mission 1 - READ 1st POST

azrael

Mission 1: Prologue on the Battlefield  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Rating

• Postitive - LISTEN TO MY THEME SONGS!
    • Neutral
    • Negative - I'd rather listen to Justin Bieber.

AAAAAANNNNND WE'RE BACK IN BUSINESS!

Just finished watching Macross Delta and I must say that I can't let myself be seen (They might judge me and they wouldn't understand)watching those fighting/singing sequences with the magical transformation. I kinda agree with the others that its like Fronter and M-7 mashed up together. I find the animation/art in this series is a tad better than Frontier, I just hope it holds up. Back then at Frontier the longer it get, the suckier the animation gets (budget cuts?). Imma re-watch the ep again a couple of times to see how it holds up. But it seems good.

Also while watching the fighting/singing/dancing sequence I almost shouted 'DeCulture!'. Hahaha!

I am listening to a few Frontier music right now, Sheryl's singing voice May'n still kicks ass! Oh nostalgia!

Gonna mention that music has been used as a salve for generations. USO tours are a good example, as are performances given in disaster areas. Music can combat the feelings of dread and soothe traumatized minds. It can also bury feelings of guilt and despair. Entertainment is so important that the US has created an entire organization dedicated to it to support those that fight or suffer (the USO does more than entertain the troops, they also help with disaster relief).

I think Macross Delta is going to be a fun ride. Also, people keep hammering on the magical girl transformations, and I'm gonna keep hammering on the fact that at least it's not minutes each, and they aren't doing completely implausible things (aside from Mikumo surfing a gerwalk, which is BA I might add...).

I'm not a fanatic, but if I had to choose a waifu, it'd be Mikumo, based solely off this episode.

and they aren't doing completely implausible things (aside from Mikumo surfing a gerwalk, which is BA I might add...).

It's not like doing implausible things isn't without precedent... ESPECIALLY involving surfing. :p

(I'll be honest, that clip was what got me to watch the Frontier movies.)

Edited by kajnrig

I know this is kind of backtracking a lot, but with everyone complaining about breakdance fights and riding valks and how none of this makes sense from a physics standpoint, why has nobody brought up that Frejya can apparently jump like 6 feet strait into the air with absolutely zero effort?

anime52k8: I've thought about that too. Seems like cartoon physics to me, but I guess the gravity could be very low on that planet. Although, low gravity would show in other ways, like their way of walking. So either it's silly or sloppy direction.

Has the following comparison already been brought up in this thread (or the preview thread) where the shot of the mysterious singer is highly reminiscent of that of the Mardook emulators from Macross II?

jF6LWaT.jpg

7qjkYdc.jpg

anime52k8: I've thought about that too. Seems like cartoon physics to me, but I guess the gravity could be very low on that planet. Although, low gravity would show in other ways, like their way of walking. So either it's silly or sloppy direction.

I was going the other direction, and assuming Windemere has unusually high gravity. That allows Ragna to have an apparent Earth-normal gravity, and Freyja's just buff as hell under that poncho and cutesy facade.

JB0: Possibly, but it should then show in the physique of Freyja and the Aerial Knights, but I can't say it does. Maybe they are all genetically altered in some way.

Might be hard to tell just by looking. Freyja's physique is pretty darn malleable, if her facial expressions are anything to go by. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the first one is the worst by far. Try the second, see if the improvement is enough to keep hoping it'll eventually become good. (I'm still watching, but MAN that first ep turned me off...)

Just finished it. I don't think this series is for me.

Fair enough. I can sympathize, as to this day I still can't make it through a full episode of 7. It just doesn't have that "real robot" feel that SDF/Plus/Zero all had.

That said, Frontier had to grow on me for a bit before I accepted it. I felt a lot of "been there, done that" and didn't much care for the designs or music when I watched the first few episodes. It wasn't until episodes 6 and 7 that I found an emotional connection to the story, and it's since gone on to become my favorite of the series.

Delta has been a very mixed bag so far. On the one hand, I like the new settings (the planets all have really unique and interesting styles to them) and the creators have done a good job of putting together an ensemble of characters that have a lot of (potentially) interesting interaction vectors. On the other, we have magical girls and a rookie pilot that goes from not being able to fly to participating in precision aerobatics in the space of a single episode. I'm really hoping that this means that they don't want to follow the same Hikaru/Alto/Shin arc of "pilot/idol starts out, fumbles, then finds their way" and instead are getting the tropes out of the way as quickly as possible in order to get to a different sort of plot, but only time will tell. None of the music has really grabbed me so far, but I'm willing to give it a pass as the music in Frontier didn't do anything for me until I'd bought into the plot and characters, thereby giving me emotional beats to associate with the different songs.

Again, your call and I see plenty of justification for it, but as a fellow skeptic (now reformed), I'm taking a wait and see approach and finding plenty that gives me hope despite the things that don't particularly appeal to me.

I definitely recommend sticking with Macross Delta. I too was (and still am) turned off by that special preview 0.89 version of episode 1. I also figured Delta was going to be on the more absurd side of the Macross mythos. But episodes 2 and 3 really brought the goods and there are some incredible mighty Macross moments in these first 5 episodes, including a great flying/song sequence in this most recent episode. I also think most fans will find that despite that first episode hitting the audience with some "magical girl" visuals surrounding the Walkure group, that aspect of the series is not as prominent nor as implausible as many critics might have believed.

I'll grant you, the show doesn't switch gears or change formats into a whole new style. But it's not nearly as over-the-top or absurd as first feared. Folks know I'm a critic of Macross 7 too, but I am legitimately enjoying Macross Delta at this point in episode 5. The show actually has some very strong character work and some truly great Macross moments that I believe most fans would love just as much as I have. Even the old school fans with real robot love. I urge folks to give this show a chance. It is proving itself, in surprising ways. It's worth a shot!

Holding off on voting. Need to rewatch that again.

Can anyone tell me though that I'm not crazy and I did not just see a VF pull off something like Capoeira? :ph34r:

No you're not. It seems the Siegfried did.