3 hours ago, oshanmacross said:

Compilation movie or rerelease of blu-ray series?

It was first announced along with 2205, and would have been released earlier this year, but then... you know, Covid19 struck and...boom.

This movie follows the story of Yamato since her launch during WWII and sinking in 1945, the evolution of space exploration, the events we heard of in 2199 (the Inner Planets War, first contact with Garmillas, the Battle of Mars), the mission to Iscandar and the War with Gatlantis. The story is presented in a sort of documentary form and newly animated sequences along with animation from both series.

It will be released in theatres on January 15, along with the special edition Blu-ray. Retail Blu-ray will be released in February.

Both series will be re-released in two new box sets but in their theatrical edits instead of episode format.

Edited by westfall

So I put off watching the second half of Yamato 2202 on blu, but finally finished it this weekend.

Oof. You guys weren't kidding. What a let down after 2199. I was hoping that we would get a well-written modern take that kept the core story intact. I was also hoping to see more of the 2199 cast return, so that was the first disappointment when a good portion of the crew was sidelined. There is a lot that felt weaker on this sequel during the first half but nothing that felt horrible to me in the beginning. Alas, once the Yamato arrived at Terezart and the crew met with Teresa in the second half, things went bonkers. I'm not sure it was wise trying to mash-up SBY2 TV and Arrivederci Yamato. In the end, things got so convoluted that I really couldn't tell which Comet Empire story 2202 was drawing from. I think the team would have had an easier time picking one story over the other this time. Yeah, that last episode sequence was a doozy. Also, it was frustrating seeing Kodai unable to get over himself when faced with real challenges. He wasn't always written like this, but it popped up enough times to be noticeable.

Spoiler

Oh! And giving Yamamoto a Kakikaze-like ending, and then pulling that gut punch is criminal. Seriously, why even go there?

Edited by technoblue

I just finished rewatching the 2199 Blu-ray and the Celestial Ark movie. So damn good! And though I was a little disappointed with 2202 I am going to binge that one again. Maybe it will be better the second time around.:rolleyes:

Edited by Thom

On 11/23/2020 at 3:36 PM, Thom said:

I just finished rewatching the 2199 Blu-ray and the Celestial Ark movie. So damn good! And though I was a little disappointed with 2202 I am going to binge that one again. Maybe it will be better the second time around.:rolleyes:

I've not rewatched it yet but I can guarantee it will NOT be better the second time round...

On 11/23/2020 at 3:36 PM, Thom said:

Yamato 2202: "We're off to outer space/ the script we've misplaced!"

*sung to tune of "Starblazers"*

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

HaHa! The first half gives you a false sense of comfort, then you get a wave motion gun blast of WTF?

Oh, I can't wait to get to the part where a gazillion Gatlantis superbattleships start making a solar system sized super canon!:spiteful:

Hoping you guys can help me out. I loved the show when I was a kid (the US version) and I want to get a OG version of the Yamato. But holy smokes!!! There are WAY too many available. I tried watching YouTube reviews, but almost no one ever says something bad about a toy. They can't all be good. I'm only getting one so I want to to be nice/top shelf (within reason, I'm not looking to spend $1000). What do you guys suggest for one that is about 12in long? Thanks!

20 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Hoping you guys can help me out. I loved the show when I was a kid (the US version) and I want to get a OG version of the Yamato. But holy smokes!!! There are WAY too many available. I tried watching YouTube reviews, but almost no one ever says something bad about a toy. They can't all be good. I'm only getting one so I want to to be nice/top shelf (within reason, I'm not looking to spend $1000). What do you guys suggest for one that is about 12in long? Thanks!

The Soul of Chogokin Yamato (GX-86) is well regarded around that size. I have the 2199 version GX-64.

The GX-86 release includes some extra details and new motorized features, plus higher quality for the included sound bites.

9 minutes ago, technoblue said:

The Soul of Chogokin Yamato (GX-86) is well regarded around that size. I have the 2199 version GX-64.

The GX-86 release includes some extra details and new motorized features, plus higher quality for the included sound bites.

:hi:

Google is not helping me here. How long is that dude? Thanks!

5 hours ago, technoblue said:

Oops. How strict are you about keeping it to 12 inches? BBTS has it listed at 16.70 inches (42.50cm), so just shy of 17 inches.

I should have thought of BBTS. Thanks for that.:hi:

Oooooo, buddy. That's pretty big. I'm working with limited space. It's not out of the question. I'd rather be near 12in though. I'll keep looking.

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I should have thought of BBTS. Thanks for that.:hi:

Oooooo, buddy. That's pretty big. I'm working with limited space. It's not out of the question. I'd rather be near 12in though. I'll keep looking.

No worries. ;)

Another option is to search for ships in the Bandai Kikan Taizen collection. These are 1:2000 scale, around 6 inches in length, but may be a little pricey now. If you find a good deal, and your top shelf display is deep enough, you could pair the Yamato with the Andromeda. The ships also have a neat LED gimmick.

6 hours ago, technoblue said:

No worries. ;)

Another option is to search for ships in the Bandai Kikan Taizen collection. These are 1:2000 scale, around 6 inches in length, but may be a little pricey now. If you find a good deal, and your top shelf display is deep enough, you could pair the Yamato with the Andromeda. The ships also have a neat LED gimmick.

Ooooo, that would be kind of fun. The Andromeda is really cool! Thanks!

5 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Hmmm... wondering if I have a scrap of wood that I could use to scratch up a model of the Yamato?

*opens up closet and a TON of stuff and the family christmas tree fall out, burying pengbuzz*

Once you dig yourself out, grab some balsa wood, some scale plans and start whittling! I'd like to see that come about.:good: