I too was extremely disappointed with 2202, both from a story point of view and its execution; a real shame that they took what was almost universally regarded as the best season/story arc of the old series and turned it into a mostly incoherent mess that miserably failed to live up to the high bar set by 2199 -- it had some interesting concepts and good points, but not enough to offset the bad and the missed opportunities.  2205 could have a chance to reinvigorate the franchise and redeem the mediocrity of 2202; then again... 

1 hour ago, mechaninac said:

I too was extremely disappointed with 2202, both from a story point of view and its execution; a real shame that they took what was almost universally regarded as the best season/story arc of the old series and turned it into a mostly incoherent mess that miserably failed to live up to the high bar set by 2199 -- it had some interesting concepts and good points, but not enough to offset the bad and the missed opportunities.  2205 could have a chance to reinvigorate the franchise and redeem the mediocrity of 2202; then again... 

Then again... it could kill my love for all things Yamato. Seriously, I sometimes wonder if folk in entertainment purposefully destroy beloved franchises just so we don't ask for more sequels or reboots. 

How was 2202 received in Japan? Was it widely agreed to be a disappointment and step down from 2199 to them as it is for most of us? I too hope 2205 will step up. I haven’t finished 2202 and really don’t even want to. It was getting pretty ridiculous pretty early and everything I heard said it only got worse.:(

Chris

On 8/31/2019 at 7:50 PM, Dynaman said:

I've not seen 2202 yet so can't comment on it - it did have a lot to live up to between 2199 and the original second season of Yamato.  The New Voyages on the other hand was the start of the downhill slope for Yamato so not as much to live up to there.

Fek....I haven't seen 2202 yet either.  Will have to binge watch it one of these days.

On 8/26/2019 at 8:19 PM, easnoddy said:

Best kit EVAR! 25% complete. Bridge status not shown. 

20190826_223534.jpg

Interesting thing about the wood decks on Yamato.  Previous iterations of space battleship Yamato didn't often depict the ship with wood decks, even though you can seek the wood deck pattern, but since 2199, I started to see models with the decks painted wood color, which I thought was pretty neat, and offered a nice contrast in color to the rest of the ship.

I also noticed that models of the WWII ship started appearing with gray or dark gray/black colored decks, and I thought I'd only seen this depiction on models of IJN Musashi.  So, I mistakenly assumed that Musashi's deck's were painted/stained dark gray or black, while Yamato kept her bright wood decks.

Anyway, it's given me something to think about while building Yamato models.  I built a 1/500 scale version with "fresh wood" deck sometime last year, first model I've tackled in ages.  So I bought a few of those Mecca Colle kits to mess around with - two 2199 kits and three 2202 kits.  My plan was to build a 2199 Yamato and a fictional Musashi sister ship to go with it, then do the same for the refit 2202 versions (the 5th kit was just for practice).  I had in mind to differentiate the ships with Musashi having a dark gray/black deck, and Yamato with the bright wood decks.

So I started to do a little digging and found that I was probably mistaken in my assumption that Musashi only had the darker colored decks.  The decks of the original ships appear to have been furnished with Hinoki Cypress and there was some chatter on whether the decks were painted/stained black or dark grey like the models I've been seeing.  

It seems to be the opinion (http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4707&start=260) of many that the wood may have just weathered to a dark gray over time:

201712202026078587.jpg

Some are saying that it was given a temporary "wash" from a mixture of funnel soot and other stuff.  When I was in Onamichi standing on the deck of the movie set, I don't recall the wood decking being particularly fresh, severely weathered like the planks above, or stained/painted black.  It just looked like wood that may have been stained with a darker than natural finish.  Then again, that was just a movie set.

So I guess for my 2202 kits, both ships (Yamato and Musashi) will probably just have some sort of darker colored deck, anything but the fresh wood look.  I know, these are space ships and probably would not weather in space, but Yamato did spend some time in atmosphere.  I suppose during the refit, she would have gotten fresh wood, but I'm just grasping at straws to help differentiate the kits to show some subtle differences between Yamato and my fictional Musashi, and between the original rebuild from 2199 and the refitted versions of 2202.

Edited by peter

18 minutes ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am finally nearing the end of 2202 and I am happy with it.  It is not as good as 2199 but I still like it.

It was a good ride, my only compliant is that it didn't end on ep 24. The last two episodes are near NGE wtf. Not saying how, but yeah.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:27 PM, easnoddy said:

Yeah, the missiles on the bottom of the fighter sucked. The question i had after that was 'do i have to do this 15 more times?' There seem to be 16 Cosmo tiger 2s in the finished product. 

Sorry to resurrect an old post ^_^ I'm also working on the Hachette Yamato. 
I just finished Vol. 3 and the Cosmo Tiger and wanted to check if the missiles needed to be done on the other ones.
Doesn't look so, they look like they don't have missiles. 
No way I wanna do that 15 more times either.

Capture.JPG

Edited by oshanmacross

16 hours ago, easnoddy said:

If I had to guess, we won't have to "build" those Tiger II's.  At worst, just those orange tail/funnel things.

Yeah, I don't see any of the skinny missiles on those Tigers, so probably just the rear orange parts will need to be glued.

Well, things were going swimmingly until I stopped at issue 21 due to my one and only teeny Phillips screwdriver getting worn out. I gotta order a better set, preferably one with a long reach and magnetized tips because I reckon there will be even more hard to reach parts spots to bury a screw in future issues.  By the way, I wish I could test out the motors before mounting them and possibly enclosing them in a spot that would be a pain to get back to when the time comes to power the model up.

I had to get a new screwdriver during #28.  There's a couple long screws that affix the upper bridge to the captain's bridge thing and they destroyed 2 mini philips head drivers.  The replacement I got is bigger and works better (but i wish it was magnetized).

I need to re-solder a wire that goes to the motor for the anchors, the glue came off and took a wire with it.

Edited by easnoddy

10 hours ago, easnoddy said:

I had to get a new screwdriver during #28.  There's a couple long screws that affix the upper bridge to the captain's bridge thing and they destroyed 2 mini philips head drivers.  The replacement I got is bigger and works better (but i wish it was magnetized).

I need to re-solder a wire that goes to the motor for the anchors, the glue came off and took a wire with it.

Ugh, that sucks.

Y'know, I wonder exactly how many helpful tips I skim over by not being able to read the Japanese instructions.  The pictures and instructional videos are all fine and dandy, but I can't help but feel I may be missing out on something.

6 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

The original one? Yeah, the GX-57 would definitely fit the bill.  And while its aesthetic may be different, the BPX-01 ain't too shabby either.  But you may gotta have the full blown 1/350 Bandai kit, which is a spectacular piece when all gussied up.

Thanks

I knew I was probably butchering the designation. I've literally not seen the show in 40ish years. This is pure nostalgia for me. It looks to me that the BPX-01 is slightly longer than the GX-57? I can't seem to find a height on either of them though. Do you by any change know how tall they are when in the stand?

That 1/350 is AWESOME! I will be 75yrs old before I have time to build that though.:(

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I knew I was probably butchering the designation. I've literally not seen the show in 40ish years. This is pure nostalgia for me. It looks to me that the BPX-01 is slightly longer than the GX-57? I can't seem to find a height on either of them though. Do you by any change know how tall they are when in the stand?

Not off the top of my head, and mine are in cold storage for now. However, here is comparison video from back in the day:

Keep in mind these were released prior to the 2199/2202 anime which spawned a newer Chogokin of the SBY and even a new 1/350 die cast beast.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Keep in mind these were released prior to the 2199 anime which has spawned a new Chogokin of the SBY and even a new 1/350 die cast beast.

Thanks for the link.

Do you have a link to said diecast beast? I can't find anything but the "old" model.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

First mentioned on page 32 of this thread:

http://www.hcj.jp/2202/home.html

A few of us are attempting to see it to the end, but only a third of the run has been completed.

It would be cool if they released optional sets to build it as the "Final Battle" version.

I came across this looking at (of all things) Cat videos (specifically Marmalade & Cole). I liked this but I am curious: Do I hear traditional Japanese music hidden (or woven) in the techno beats? 

• 3 weeks later...

So I'm caught up on the Hachette build through set 36 (the tester for the front of the hull). 

There's an annoying amount of light bleed between the hull sections from the fiber-optics.  I wish I knew this would be the case from the beginning, I would have put some black paper along the inside of the hull seams as I built it.  As it is, I'm going to try and stuff some black card stock from the top along the seam lines.  Will use some super glue to help keep them in place.   The lights are quite impressive though. 

Need to get a new soldering iron to reattach the wires for the anchor mechanism.

38 minutes ago, easnoddy said:

So I'm caught up on the Hachette build through set 36 (the tester for the front of the hull). 

There's an annoying amount of light bleed between the hull sections from the fiber-optics.  I wish I knew this would be the case from the beginning, I would have put some black paper along the inside of the hull seams as I built it.  As it is, I'm going to try and stuff some black card stock from the top along the seam lines.  Will use some super glue to help keep them in place.   The lights are quite impressive though. 

Need to get a new soldering iron to reattach the wires for the anchor mechanism.

I was afraid that would happen.  I noticed a couple of seams that are little too gappy despite how tight the screws were. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to do the same.

1 hour ago, Tochiro said:

Hmm, might that be interpreted to mean that the movie is behind schedule freeing up Kenji Yasuda's schedule up to go find other work?

If so, that's a bit disappointing. 

11 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Hmm, might that be interpreted to mean that the movie is behind schedule freeing up Kenji Yasuda's schedule up to go find other work?

If so, that's a bit disappointing. 

Shouldn't we be using the 2205 thread? it already exists a couple pages down?

• 2 weeks later...

Hachette build rant.  Set #37, I lost one of the 4 small pins for the anchors.  Probably the smallest piece in the whole kit, and they only provided the exact number. p I have a whole tray full of the excess screws they give you (over 50 I think), but they only provide the exact number of 3mm pins?  I'll try and find a medium-sized paper clip to replace it, but what a PITA.