well, certain things will be the same as previous: The fleet will be mostly disposable because the human population is implied to be not large enough to support a fully manned Cosmo Navy...

Spoiler

presumably with a very finite fleet amount because of the, again presumed, sacrifice of the Time Fault to rescue Kodai and Mori.

2202 was a bit of a downer if you ask me.  Episode 26 didn't do much to hurt, but it didn't do much to help either.

They focused on random smash up actions where the story essentially took second place to whatever was catching someone's fancy at the moment.  Overall, it was not a worthy successor to 2199.  

Hope they do a better job on series 3.  And yes, lots of unresolved questions still around Gamilas... we'll see what happens next.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 4:40 AM, sumyumgoy said:

Not sure if you know already but hachette has videos of the assemblies for each issue on their youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/hachettecjp/videos

oh and I can totally relate with the tiny parts.  I've started using one of these and it's helped a lot!

Thanks for throwing out that link-I gotta start building this thing before even more hachette boxes arrive!

• 2 weeks later...

Received and built set 16, I do love this thing.  But, with the kit 15% built, I'm wondering how they can get this thing built in only 110 issues.  It feels more like its 5% built. 

Interestingly, the subscription-exclusive fighters (which IMO was a dumb idea), there's 3 sets on Yahoo jp auctions, 1 for 9000 yen and 2 for for MORE than that.  I want them, but not THAT MUCH.

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/ダイキャストギミックモデルをつくる?sort=cbids&order=a&translationType=1&suggest=1

2 hours ago, easnoddy said:

Received and built set 16, I do love this thing.  But, with the kit 15% built, I'm wondering how they can get this thing built in only 110 issues.  It feels more like its 5% built. 

Interestingly, the subscription-exclusive fighters (which IMO was a dumb idea), there's 3 sets on Yahoo jp auctions, 1 for 9000 yen and 2 for for MORE than that.  I want them, but not THAT MUCH.

https://buyee.jp/item/search/query/ダイキャストギミックモデルをつくる?sort=cbids&order=a&translationType=1&suggest=1

I reckon later issues will involve bigger pieces as you go? And yeah, at those prices I can live without those other fighters.

Well I finally have some time off, and so it begins...

20190531_150724.jpg

As I'm building this thing, I'm not liking how I seem to be constructing parts from all over the ship and spiraling inwards. I just don't like have parts hanging around and having to wait until I attach it to something else.  And gluing together a 1/350 space fighter was a real test of patience for me.  Regardless, I'm having fun putting this beast together-it's gonna be great!

Yeah, the missiles on the bottom of the fighter sucked. The question i had after that was 'do i have to do this 15 more times?' There seem to be 16 Cosmo tiger 2s in the finished product. 

I'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be an internal scaffolding/frame for the ship. The body panels each connect to the panel before it. 

Glad to see the first shock cannon battery on the deck after set 17.

I do wish they would have made the torpedo tube covers moveable as a single piece (instead of eventually removable) . 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 2:36 AM, kalvasflam said:

2202 was a bit of a downer if you ask me.  Episode 26 didn't do much to hurt, but it didn't do much to help either.

They focused on random smash up actions where the story essentially took second place to whatever was catching someone's fancy at the moment.  Overall, it was not a worthy successor to 2199.  

Hope they do a better job on series 3.  And yes, lots of unresolved questions still around Gamilas... we'll see what happens next.

I finally had a chance to finish the series and must say I agree with you. I don't know if it's just a case of having colossal expectations after the masterpiece that was 2199, but I just ended with a feeling of being underwhelmed. The script and story was not as tight as with 2199, and the Gatlantians were not as engaging adversaries as the Gamillans were. None of the new characters were fleshed out sufficiently and we didn't get the same feeling of a tight crew we got in 2199.

And that last episode took the "cosmic" to almost magical levels. It might work for Ideon, but it didn't do it for Yamato.

And Akira is STILL single? What kind of a messed up universe is that? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, westfall said:

That is based on the 2199/2202 design.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:29 PM, Dobber said:

Bleh, it’s the OG version....the updated 2199 versions looks so much better to me.

Chris

It's a blend of 2199/2202 details and some OG proportions like on the fins.

Edited by skaianDestiny

• 1 month later...

I had completely forgotten about the Chogokin Gamillon ship.  It was such an anticlimactic announcement to me.

Yes, I typed Gamillon.  I'd been watching Star Blazers for decades before I watched 2199.  The old Star Blazers names are too ingrained in my mind to shift gears.

Anyway, has there been any news at all about the US release of Part 2 of 2202?  Have there been any rumblings at all regarding a new Chogokin Andromeda?  I can't believe neither has been announced yet.  I thought we'd have an Andromeda announcement before the series was even finished.  It's bewildering that the US Part 1 discs have been out and available for half a year and still nothing about releasing the conclusion.

3 hours ago, GabrielV said:

I had completely forgotten about the Chogokin Gamillon ship.  It was such an anticlimactic announcement to me.

Yes, I typed Gamillon.  I'd been watching Star Blazers for decades before I watched 2199.  The old Star Blazers names are too ingrained in my mind to shift gears.

Anyway, has there been any news at all about the US release of Part 2 of 2202?  Have there been any rumblings at all regarding a new Chogokin Andromeda?  I can't believe neither has been announced yet.  I thought we'd have an Andromeda announcement before the series was even finished.  It's bewildering that the US Part 1 discs have been out and available for half a year and still nothing about releasing the conclusion.

Still nothing I could find on funimation beyond the streaming episodes for 2202 pt 2 and Amazon Prime is still only offering the first 12 eps of 2202 for purchase. Would definitely like to see a new Chogokin Andromeda (or my fantasy: a 1/500 scale model kit of it). Does anyone know if there were any garage/resin kits released other than the initial Hayabusa kit from the first series?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 7:00 AM, Focslain said:

IN...but I hope that box art isn’t final. IIRC that was the cover to the Bandai Visual 2nd BD/DVD. Let’s hope they use the art from a later volume of 2202.

7 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Just saw an announcement that Yamato 2205 is a go.  Now to watch 2202...

That's really good news. I still haven't seen 2202, so I don't have any expectations (yet). Just happy to read that we are getting more neo Yamato.

Edited by technoblue
typo