So, this is the secret plan, while the story telling in 2202 has went down the tubes and we've hit full speed on the copier, the way to lure back fans is to provide appropriate fan service.  2199 certainly set up the franchise well with all those strong females characters, if Yuki doesn't work, send in Yamamoto and Melda with even less clothing and more suggestive poses.  Throw in some bananas and cherries while you're at it.  The male brain can be turned into mush, and after they've become pliable, they'll accept however much BS we put into the series.

Oh, and for the bluray editions, we'll also put in more special fan service material with special shots and profiles (at never seen before angles) of these dolls.

:clapping:

Edited by kalvasflam

7 hours ago, skaianDestiny said:

In 2199, aside from a couple particularly egregious parts, it's not that bad.

I haven't noticed any real fan-service at all in 2202, but then I've probably only seen half(?) as yet.

I think it is all in the merchandising. Right Mel?

quote-merchandising-merchandising-where-

19 hours ago, Dynaman said:

I still consider the Yuki on an Anchor display the most tasteless piece of merchandise I have seen related to the show.  The one a few posts up is downright tame compared to that.

And as others have said the show is nothing like that.

I had to google that term just remember what that pose looked like... I suppose we should be thankful they only keep making Yuki models (that we know of. For all I know, some Korean or Chinese sod is making molds for  Yuki, Ginga's CO or the new staffer chick, all clad in levels of female bondage...) *shudders* Are all the yuki 'toys' considered "echi" in Japan (at least the ones that involve some layers of nudity)?

2 hours ago, apptt4 said:

yikes.

I recently finished Yamato 2199 (2012) and quite enjoyed it. I've looked into what's next but it's a little confusing. can anyone please point me to a list of what's next in release order?

If you haven't yet watched it, find a place where you can watch the Odyssey of the Celestial Ark movie for 2199. It's not critical, but it's a really great movie.

2202 is the direct sequel to 2199, so that would be your next viewing after Odyssey.

In other news, some sad news on the modeling front: on Facebook Minoru Itgaki said he talked with some Bandai representatives and they said the 1/72 line of planes models didn't sell well, so they're not gonna be continuing those. So if you're looking forward to new 1/72 models you're crap out of luck.

Edited by skaianDestiny

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Well I'm stupid annoyed with Funimation. Their app doesn't let you cast or download the digital copy like Netflix and Amazon's app do.  I guess you have to have a subscription but that's not cool if you own a digital copy.

I noticed that when I was just about to buy it.  Decided not to due to that limitation.  I'm wondering the Amazon version allows it.

And as for that pillow thing, yup I had not seen that before.  I still kinda think the anchor is a little more tasteless, the pose and theme of it being pretty trashy.

well that's some creepy echii pillow cases... is it a typical trope in Japanese ROMCOM's that the male lead hides his pillow cases before his date arrives?

11 hours ago, skaianDestiny said:

In other news, some sad news on the modeling front: on Facebook Minoru Itgaki said he talked with some Bandai representatives and they said the 1/72 line of planes models didn't sell well, so they're not gonna be continuing those. So if you're looking forward to new 1/72 models you're crap out of luck.

Quick, everyone buy as many 1/72 fighters as you can!

Edited by Thom

• 2 weeks later...

so.... 

Spoiler

We have a skeleton crew still aboard (because at a certain point, they could no longer safety depart the ship). We have introductions with the Ginga crew (I wonder: did DISCO's black uniforms mold their way into Ginga's, as to imply that not only are Ginga's crew are top billing [with all the ecrutroments of hero status i.e. Plot Armor] but they might be evil, too?). We get the implication that it's a arm's race between Earth's Time Fault and the Comet Empire Galantic Acme MASS! Manufacturing Method... I guess we need to see the 2nd part to see the Gamalos POV (in terms of the origin of all those Gamalos ships: Are they arrvials from Gamalos space to aid the Cosmo Navy in need or are they also MASS! Produced from ETF,Inc!?) and perhaps the biggest question: How are all these ship's crewed if they are 'locally built in China'?  

*eats popcorn* Well, now we know were the DN as Rocket Pods idea came from...

I'm almost 99.2% certain that the Time Fault will play very heavy in the next series as the cause of the problem

Edited by TehPW
I cans Thinks eeeerrrrhhh

Looks entertaining.   It was kind of funny how there is suddenly a break in the action, it's like that old Star Trek episode where they encountered the Borg, immediately after the Borg tractor is cut off, Picard shouts: "conference, now"  and the main characters all saunter off to the conference room to discuss the next course of action while a very real enemy is just sitting there, doing nothing.  PLOT DEVICE.  Zordar can't be bothered with the human/Gamilas battle fleet immediately, he needs to head off and choke out Sabera again.

It's funny though, what happened to the other two Andromeda class ships? why is the Andromeda itself sticking around?  why didn't its DNs get close and act as a booster?  

so many questions, and no answers at all.

Well there was a total of 5 Andy's during the big battle prior (3 BB's and 2 BCV's) with Apollo Norm being the only ship to not make it (why did their engine fail btw?)

10 hours ago, cjcastan said:

I watched 2199 on Crunchyroll and am almost caught up to 2202 on there. Right now CR only has up to episode 13. Does anyone know what the English release schedule looks like for the rest of the series? Or is Funimation further along?Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Funimation shows episodes 1-13 on their site.  I thought they were releasing an episode a week but I'm not keeping track - waiting for the whole thing so I can binge watch it.

They're waiting on the rest of the series to be released. Japan is only up to episode 18 right now.

I haven't been keeping up with 2022 (I'll binge watch the entire series when it's complete), and I don't really care about spoilers. 

Is this supposed to be a completely independent ship of Yamato, ie a clone/sister ship of Yamato, or is it the Yamato from a different dimension/time?  I'll be pissed if that's the new Yamato....I hated Resurrection. 

Apologies if it's been covered already, and Google is not my friend.

1 hour ago, peter said:

I haven't been keeping up with 2022 (I'll binge watch the entire series when it's complete), and I don't really care about spoilers. 

Is this supposed to be a completely independent ship of Yamato, ie a clone/sister ship of Yamato, or is it the Yamato from a different dimension/time?  I'll be pissed if that's the new Yamato....I hated Resurrection. 

Apologies if it's been covered already, and Google is not my friend.

It's a new ship.

Also Yamato will be getting another refit.

DpJcFUzU8AEPUMH.jpg

43878962_1543892782378105_48499117439141

Cool, more AA guns, like her WWII version near the end of the war.

Did a bit more digging, looks like tgere was some concept art of Yamato class ships like Shinano and a few others.   I can accept that concept.  Maybe even have an identical looking ship named Musashi......just hope they don't end up both sinking like their namesakes.

58 minutes ago, TehPW said:

Time mark: 0:34 that red sun as a back drop... symbolism?

Could be the Japanese rising sun, could be Star Wars:

tie-fighters-formation.jpg

Coukd be Apocolypse Now:

2F6D9D9100000578-0-image-m-70_1450285408

Looks cool either way

So, let's see, they decided to do the thing that would help to drive up the storyline, bring back the only character that I remotely care about.  I wonder if the Dessler part is going to be in ep 20 or 21.  Lots of new ships, Gamilas type Andromedas, not just carriers, but now battleships.  The EDF threw up what I assume was a 10 gun battleship.  I hope the story is as good as the animation.  But we seem to be getting stormtrooperization of ships really fast.  The boosted Andromedas are now ramming Gatlantis battleships, this is even before the episode gets released.   

I do think the one weakness with this entire show is how they depict time.  In the three years they had the time dance, they launched five Andromeda class, and now, in a span of months ( am assuming its only months in between ep 1 and ep 18), they are launching two new ship types at least, well over a dozen Andromedas, not including the Gamilas variants. 

I'm going to assume that the Andromeda Yamanami is on is actually not the original, because they can't be sitting there having a stalemate for weeks on end.    So, this is just a bit nuts.  I would be curious to see if someone actually put up the statistics on the battle of Saturn, and what happened afterwards.  It wouldn't surprise me if the number of ships went into the thousands.

I haven't watched any of it yet, but from the trailers, it seems like the epic battles seem to be insanely large and fairly frequent?  

I wonder how the series would do if they went with a more subdued approach to story telling like Star Trek TNG, basically the Yamato instead of the Enterprise.....

Really like the upgrades Yamato is getting. Those main guns look beefy AF! Looks like I'l be buying another one... Now, if only I could get the Ginga's command tower for a kitbash, minus the silly dome.

And I hope they start boxing these bristling beasties!

QeEdSIR.png?width=1045&height=588

Edited by Thom

I'm sure before long, there will be variations aplenty.  Let's see, I think the dreadnoughts will already have three color variations, for the Andromedas, I see  ten types now, don't we just love nice color schemes,  then there are all of those options beyond that.  Plenty of choices.

Everyone will get some type of love.  Ginga has a model kit, and that's before it gets released on the silver screen.